Unable to hear sound using an Optical audio cable.

apoorvasheth

Hello All,

I have connected my Yamaha RX-V685 to SONY OLELD A80L via an optical cable.

I tried out all the inputs such as Audio1 to Audio 5 & AV1 to AV2 on this RX-V685 A/V receiver but, the JBL 630 doesn’t output sound.

In Sony A80L TV settings, Audio System is selected, & tried Digital Audio out to Auto 1, Auto 2 & PCM, turned off eArc mode, tried everything but none works.

Also changed settings in TV from Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital but to no go.

The optical cable does show red laser light.

I tried both optical audio input jacks at the back of the amp but still no go.

Only one change I did is that I unplugged HDMI cable from the HDMI 3 port of Sony TV which is an eArc port & connected it into the HDMI 4 port.

Kindly help.

Regards,
Apoorva.

Attachments

• IMG_4019.jpeg
    IMG_4019.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4020.jpeg
    IMG_4020.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4021.jpeg
    IMG_4021.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 12
Have you tried connecting to the Audio 1 or 2 optical ports at the back?
It looks like you have to use Audio 1 (Video) or Audio 2 (Audio) for your Yamaha.

1723349406192.png

1723349481342.png

Have you tried connecting to the Audio 1 or 2 optical ports at the back?
It looks like you have to use Audio 1 (Video) or Audio 2 (Audio) for your Yamaha.

View attachment 85993

View attachment 85994

Hello Nikhil, yes. I tried out almost everything but unfortunately, none worked.

Also I thought for a sec that possibly the optical audio cable could be faulty but I can see the red light in it.

I just don’t understand where the issue is?

Hello All,

I have connected my Yamaha RX-V685 to SONY OLELD A80L via an optical cable.

I tried out all the inputs such as Audio1 to Audio 5 & AV1 to AV2 on this RX-V685 A/V receiver but, the JBL 630 doesn’t output sound.

In Sony A80L TV settings, Audio System is selected, & tried Digital Audio out to Auto 1, Auto 2 & PCM, turned off eArc mode, tried everything but none works.

Also changed settings in TV from Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital but to no go.

The optical cable does show red laser light.

I tried both optical audio input jacks at the back of the amp but still no go.

Only one change I did is that I unplugged HDMI cable from the HDMI 3 port of Sony TV which is an eArc port & connected it into the HDMI 4 port.

Kindly help.

Regards,
Apoorva.
Is the optical cable in working condition?
I mean have you tried in a different setup to double check if working or not.
OR if you have one more optical cable to try.

There are two things which had happened in my case.

A) The cable shows red light but does not function. Something inherent in cable has got damaged it means.
B) The thin strand of plastic inside the optical cable, is slight less length and does not exactly touch the tip of cable. It may be deep down inside lets say 2 to 4 mm.

So in both cases the cable will STILL show red light, BUT will not function.

Digital via optical can be bit of a problem.
You could try another optical cable as they are relatively inexpensive.

All of this is assuming you have made the proper connections and settings on the TV side as well.

Thank you everyone for your replies. No, this is the only setup I have so can’t test whether this optical cable functions properly or not but looking at its condition, I think I might need to buy a new one.

I connected Optical cable in both Audio 1 & 2 behind the amp, and inserted behind SONY A80L properly.

In Yamaha’s settings, I turned on HDMI Control, Arc off and select Audio Input as Audio 1 or 2 depending on the one it’s being inserted into behind this Yamaha amp.

Also tried PCM, changed Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital, turned off eArc - all of these in Sony TV but failed everytime.

Can you also suggest how is NAD Electronics brand & is it safe & reliable brand to purchase. I noticed it’s a Canadian brand & someone in Byculla, Mumbai deals into it. I noticed this model —> NAD T758v3i it’s an A/V receiver 7.1 but I’ll be setting up 5.1.4 which means —> Front Left + Right + Center + Surround Left + Right + Front Height Left + Right & Surround Height Left + Right along with Subwoofer.

Or is Marantz Cinema 50 a better option as it’s quite a famous brand & widely used?

Another audio dealer yesterday told me that there is absolutely no need of an upgrade since my Yamaha RX-V685 amp is highly capable enough to drive these JBL Studio 630s but I forgot to tell him that I’ll be doing 5.1.4.

Your optical cable is bent around 20 degrees at one end just where it is entering the housing. Optical cables cannot be bent too much without damaging it. Bends also decrease the intensity of light reaching the other end. Do you have any CD player or an old macbook pro. Most CD players have optical SPDIF and RCA SPDIF outputs. Old macbooks also have optical SPDIF output, but you require a mini-toslink adaptor.

I don't see any option other than you getting a new optical cable. They are very cheap BTW on amazon.

Your HDMI1 out on your Yamaha AVR supports ARC. So just connect this to any HDMI input on your sony tv which is labled ARC. This connection will be anyday superior to optical out.

I have Sony Bravia LED TV, I use optical output to connect my DAC, for that, under settings following settings has to be made:

Settings>>Display & Sound>>Sound output>>Audio System

By default it is "TV speakers" option is checked, it has to to be changed as above.

I have Sony Bravia LED TV, I use optical output to connect my DAC, for that, under settings following settings has to be made:

Settings>>Display & Sound>>Sound output>>Audio System

By default it is "TV speakers" option is checked, it has to to be changed as above.
Hello Sajeet, yes this is the 1st thing that was done.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back