Why Is My Subwoofer Not Hitting Hard - PB1000Pro

honestmuggle

Hello Guys,

I am pretty happy with the setup I have but I feel that the bass I am getting from my SVS PB 1000 Pro is not adequate. It's hard for me to describe but it feels so low, since most of you here are home theatre enthusiastic so you’ll get it.
That punch or thump on my subwoofer is missing, like when watching any fighting sequence, I don't feel that tight hit sound we usually get in the theatres. Another example is the same tight sound produced by a bass drum kick. My ears are expecting the perfect punchy and powerful bass that you get from an ideal subwoofer like PB1000.

I have seen many of you had previously mentioned on a different thread about how powerful PB1000Pro is, many have set the sublevel to -11db yet sub has its adequate impacts. I have kept it in -4db on avr and bass is almost non-existence. On SVS App its -10db.

My sub is set on LFE with a Crossover frequency 120Hz. And mains are set to 80Hz, surround and atmos speakers are set on 100Hz.
What can be done to fix this?

AVR - Denon X3700H
Front Speakers - Dali Oberon 3 Bookshelves.
Center - Oberon Vokal

Hello Guys,

I am pretty happy with the setup I have but I feel that the bass I am getting from my SVS PB 1000 Pro is not adequate. It's hard for me to describe but it feels so low, since most of you here are home theatre enthusiastic so you’ll get it.
That punch or thump on my subwoofer is missing, like when watching any fighting sequence, I don't feel that tight hit sound we usually get in the theatres. Another example is the same tight sound produced by a bass drum kick. My ears are expecting the perfect punchy and powerful bass that you get from an ideal subwoofer like PB1000.

I have seen many of you had previously mentioned on a different thread about how powerful PB1000Pro is, many have set the sublevel to -11db yet sub has its adequate impacts. I have kept it in -4db on avr and bass is almost non-existence. On SVS App its -10db.

My sub is set on LFE with a Crossover frequency 120Hz. And mains are set to 80Hz, surround and atmos speakers are set on 100Hz.

AVR - Denon X3700H
Center - Oberon Vokal
Hey, bro, that's unfortunate.
It's a capable sub. What's your room size, dimensions, open/closed?

Hello Guys,

AVR - Denon X3700H
Center - Oberon Vokal
The sub is incapable of producing transients required for kick drum sound..

Hello Guys,

AVR - Denon X3700H
Center - Oberon Vokal
Are you based in Delhi per chance?

3 things. Integration, Room, Subwoofer limitations. Only way to figure out is by measurements.
3 things. Integration, Room, Subwoofer limitations. Only way to figure out is by measurements.
Thanks bro, I did some measurements and corrected the levels and distance using audyssey. Tried different placements, but same result.

Please check the setup and sub placement

IMG_0944 Large.jpeg

The sub is incapable of producing transients required for kick drum sound..
Though, I did audition the same sub at top gizmos noida. I was impressed with its performance, that's why I chose to buy it.
Also, been following this group since long and after innumerable positive reviews I decided to purchase one.

I don't know what's wrong with my sub. :(

Thanks bro, I did some measurements and corrected the levels and distance using audyssey. Tried different placements, but same result.
Why don't you post your measurements. That way, the frequency response graph will help people zero in on the issue more effectively.
Please check the setup and sub placement

View attachment 73231
The Subwoofer positioning is not ideal. Try placing it near the right corner or Bang in the middle..

Hey, bro, that's unfortunate.
It's a capable sub. What's your room size, dimensions, open/closed?
IMG_0944 Large.jpeg

my living room size is 9x11, having three doors attached, one door is mainly closed all the time. One is for dining room entrance and another is living room entrance.

285813520_8406243182734858_8481195970138556347_n.jpg

Why don't you post your measurements. That way, the frequency response graph will help people zero in on the issue more effectively.

The Subwoofer positioning is not ideal. Try placing it near the right corner or Bang in the middle..
I will try to reposition my sub today, and see if it makes any difference.

Here is the result after I did audyssey

IMG_3143.jpg

View attachment 73232

my living room size is 9x11, having three doors attached, one door is mainly closed all the time. One is for dining room entrance and another is living room entrance.

View attachment 73233

Any option to place the sub near the sofa right side? I think that can make a difference, else you need to follow the subwoofer crawl method in order to find the best sweet spot.

Any option to place the sub near the sofa right side? I think that can make a difference, else you need to follow the subwoofer crawl method in order to find the best sweet spot.
Very difficult, due to power sockets limitations. Also, I need a longer sub-cable as the room is quite big.

Is it possible to move the L-sofa about three feet away from the back wall?
If possible, try that and re-run Audyssey for that position with the sub in front of the Centre speaker...

Is it possible to move the L-sofa about three feet away from the back wall?
If possible, try that and re-run Audyssey for that position with the sub in front of the Centre speaker...
Will try, but the problem is if I move the sofa a little ahead, it will block the doorway...

View attachment 73234
That's not too bad at all. However, we'll get a better idea if you post a complete sweep from 0 to 20K Hz with your main speakers in the mix. That way, we'll get an idea if there's any bass cancellation/peaks when the sub interacts with your main speakers.
my office is in noida, bro. Yea. is there anything you want from me?
Ha ha... Nothing at all... We in the North tend to be a little demanding on the slam part so wagered a guess! 😜

And just saying howdy, neighbour... 🙂

Very difficult, due to power sockets limitations. Also, I need a longer sub-cable as the room is quite big.
How big are we talking?

That's not too bad at all. However, we'll get a better idea if you post a complete sweep from 0 to 20K Hz with your main speakers in the mix. That way, we'll get an idea if there's any bass cancellation/peaks when the sub interacts with your main speakers.

Ha ha... Nothing at all... We in the North tend to be a little demanding on the slam part so wagered a guess! 😜

And just saying howdy, neighbour... 🙂
Nice buddy, you are so accurate haha. by the way! do you know any SVS service center in Delhi NCR?

The room size is 9x11, listening position is against the wall as shown in the image.
That's not too bad at all. The SVS should have absolutely no problem shaking the room to its foundation. I have a Mission QX-12, which is a much less accomplished and less powerful sub thab the PB1000 Pro, installed in a 22x12 room and it provides excellent slam. For that matter, a single one of my REL T9is with a tiny 10 inch driver and 300Ws can provide adequate slam for most occasions in the living room which is approx 450 sq.ft.

Therefore, as suggested -
post a complete sweep from 0 to 20K Hz with your main speakers in the mix. That way, we'll get an idea if there's any bass cancellation/peaks when the sub interacts with your main speakers.

Nice buddy, you are so accurate haha. by the way! do you know any SVS service center in Delhi NCR?
Nope.

View attachment 73234
You might require umik1 and rew software to know which is optimal position of your room. This is the first step toward getting nice bass. Minus 10db response before audyssey obviously tells you this is worst position for your room. And don't get carried away by the after audyssey graphs. You need a friend or assistant do check the right position for your room and this might take one weekend or two to decide what position sound good. Get umik1 asap and a close friend who is interested in hifi

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back