Bookshelves from USA

Onri

I am planning to start building my home theater setup. I have my brother coming over from USA in a couple of months. I am planning to have him bring a pair of bookshelves with him for me. I will buy an amp and a sub from here in Mumbai. This is what I am planning to start with, with center and rear speakers for later.
With bookshelves i am confused. My preference is Movies (60%) and music (40%).
My budget for bookshelves in USD (300 USD - 20k INR). Please help me with any suggestions for bookshelves which would be a good idea to get from USA.

KEF q150?
Thanks for the suggestion. It is one on my list which also includes Elac debut 6.2 and Klipsch r41m. From the reviews i have read so far, Kef q150 are more suitable for music lovers. Not that i dont listen to music (mostly rock and metal) much but want something which would also do justice to movie experience.

It is hard to suggest speakers as everyone's requirements are different. Buying merely on suggestions without audition often results in remorse.

Having said that, search is your friend. This query has been answered numerous times before and speaker suggestions at various price points have been discussed at length here.

Klipsch RP-160 or RP-600 (used like new or refurbished), Triangle BR03, Sony SSCS5, KEF Q150 (or used Q350), Elac Debut B6.2, QAcoustics 3020i, Wharfedale 220 or 225.. can't go wrong with any of these

It is hard to suggest speakers as everyone's requirements are different. Buying merely on suggestions without audition often results in remorse.

Having said that, search is your friend. This query has been answered numerous times before and speaker suggestions at various price points have been discussed at length here.
I would love to have demos for these. But I'm struggling to find places where I could get the demo in Mumbai. Have checked a few places. Elacs and Klipsches I could not find so far.

Klipsch RP-160 or RP-600 (used like new or refurbished), Triangle BR03, Sony SSCS5, KEF Q150 (or used Q350), Elac Debut B6.2, QAcoustics 3020i, Wharfedale 220 or 225.. can't go wrong with any of these
Thanks for these suggestions. Will explore these ones.

When in US, buy American Brand speakers for the highest saving. Sony SSCS5 is on offer price of $73 per pair. Pioneer BS-22 has got hiked from $99 to $129. Elacs and Klipsch are stable in terms of price. Klipsch has the biggest difference in Ind vs US pricing. But not everybody likes Klipsch sound signature. Audiogon has real good collection of used items (spike in ads as Cyber Monday sales are due). Just look for Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. Jagran time for next 10 days!!!

If buying blind, I'd go for the Elac. The designer knows what he's doing and voices them very well. Not that other brand speaker designers are slouches but like the adage goes - better the devil you know than the one you don't. :p

If buying blind, I'd go for the Elac. The designer knows what he's doing and voices them very well. Not that other brand speaker designers are slouches but like the adage goes - better the devil you know than the one you don't. :p

Not true.

I blindly bought the Elac Ub5 bookshelfs. Had rave reviews all over. Ran then with everything from a 30 watt Nad to a 300 watt emotiva. It had tremendous bass for it size but everything else was way to laid back and lacked sparkle. It was as if the speaker was under a heavy curtain when playing. In short, it was a huge disappointment for me. And yes, I sufficiently broke them in and played with positions, cables, source etc etc.

So there is no brand that can be bought blindly when it comes to speakers.

Not true.

I blindly bought the Elac Ub5 bookshelfs. Had rave reviews all over. Ran then with everything from a 30 watt Nad to a 300 watt emotiva. It had tremendous bass for it size but everything else was way to laid back and lacked sparkle. It was as if the speaker was under a heavy curtain when playing. In short, it was a huge disappointment for me. And yes, I sufficiently broke them in and played with positions, cables, source etc etc.

So there is no brand that can be bought blindly when it comes to speakers.
Sorry for your loss! :p

I find Klipsch R51m reviews pretty good so far. These are showing as 144 USD on Amazon and Best buy right now. Guess that is a very good deal. I would want to audition these in Mumbai. Anyone knows where can I get the demo?

I find Klipsch R51m reviews pretty good so far. These are showing as 144 USD on Amazon and Best buy right now. Guess that is a very good deal. I would want to audition these in Mumbai. Anyone knows where can I get the demo?
You can get the RP-150 for less than $300, RP series is really worth the extra bucks. You can read/watch the rave reviews the RP series has.

I am planning to start building my home theater setup. I have my brother coming over from USA in a couple of months. I am planning to have him bring a pair of bookshelves with him for me. I will buy an amp and a sub from here in Mumbai. This is what I am planning to start with, with center and rear speakers for later.
With bookshelves i am confused. My preference is Movies (60%) and music (40%).
My budget for bookshelves in USD (300 USD - 20k INR). Please help me with any suggestions for bookshelves which would be a good idea to get from USA.

If you can extend your budget a bit you may check Monitor Audio Bronze series.

I'm using them since year 2011 and I'm a happy with them. However they are cheaper in UK (around GPB 250)

As I suggest everywhere, for richer/relaxed/truer experience spend the same or more money on a pair of floorstanding speakers in India, even if you have to settle for used ones.

Or if you have to have it from USA and your brother can carry bulky ones, do check out these -

Alternatively, do not settle for anything with lesser than 8 inch of driver size.

As I suggest everywhere, for richer/relaxed/truer experience spend the same or more money on a pair of floorstanding speakers in India, even if you have to settle for used ones.
Dont have space for floorstanders in my room. Used ones I am okay to get them if i get the right deal.

What are you going to place the bookshelves on?
In case you are thinking of buying stands then you may end up paying (spk + stand) as much as a floorstander.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back