DVD/CD Player for Stereo

Thanks guys for your valueable updates: now here is update from my side on the basis of your inputs :

Please tell me which option i should choose now :

1. DVD Player : So to plug n play Pendrive

2. Fiio DAC inorder : so to play with laptop... please clarify if i can connect this DAC with my Samsung Galaxy 2 mobile and play with mobile too.

3. Asus Oplay media player + Fiio DAC : so to play my pendrive or HDD,please notice i dont have TV so dont want any dependency on TV to play this Asus.

4. One of forum member is selling his Logitech SqueezeBox : so should i go for it.

A good Audio quaility is must for me..only this is the reason i am setting up my first Stereo Setup.

Please advice.. Thanks for any reply.

Hi Hrishi,
just my 2 cents, based on some of my experiences.

1. Never mix audio with video [If you need to turn on TV to listen music chances are you wont!]

2. Keep it simple [I sometimes prefer easy of simply placing the CD in the tray and pushing the play button! It is the easiest way to get to the music so think about it!]

3. Getting a DAC is a good idea for flexibility. [It gives flexibility. Get a basic transport like a DVD player or old CD player and take digital out and feed it to a decent DAC]

4. DVD player may disappoint in long run [A decent DAC will sound better than a DVD player for the same money]

I would suggest a local cheap CD/DVD player [digital out] -> DAC ->

In this way you can choose a DVD player to play from your USB/HDD.
You DAC can take any device having a digital output. So it becomes very extensible and flexible.

Note: Sometimes it is not about the audio quality but the overall experience. the more pleasant the overall experience the more you will end up spending time *listening* to your system.
In the end it is a trade-off do you want a system that is easy plug and play or has start up time to get to the music.

Thanks guys for your valueable updates: now here is update from my side on the basis of your inputs :

Please tell me which option i should choose now :

1. DVD Player : So to plug n play Pendrive

2. Fiio DAC inorder : so to play with laptop... please clarify if i can connect this DAC with my Samsung Galaxy 2 mobile and play with mobile too.

3. Asus Oplay media player + Fiio DAC : so to play my pendrive or HDD,please notice i dont have TV so dont want any dependency on TV to play this Asus.

4. One of forum member is selling his Logitech SqueezeBox : so should i go for it.

A good Audio quaility is must for me..only this is the reason i am setting up my first Stereo Setup.

Please advice.. Thanks for any reply.

Please tell me which DAC is best in budget of 10k.
Also tell me how can i connect my Galaxy s2 with DAC. ofcourse most of mobile has 3.5 jack port to connect.

Thanks for any reply.

Dedicated CD Player always better than basic dvd player as a transport - that's what I learnt recently during discussions in this forum
Hence, dedicated CD player is always better than a basic dvd player even it's only digital out

Dedicated CD Player always better than basic dvd player as a transport - that's what I learnt recently during discussions in this forum
Hence, dedicated CD player is always better than a basic dvd player even it's only digital out

If i know dedicated CD player will not have USB port where i can plug and play Pendrive or USB hardisk.. and also dedicated CD player are costly too.

I f you know any dedicated CD player which comes with USB port and in budget 10 k please let me know.

You can check some used DAC. Put a wanted thread for same. Do consider some options already posted by FM's

For phone you need to bypass its internal DAC else its no use using external DAC. You will need digital out which you need to check for your phone if possible.

- sent from phone

Please tell me which DAC is best in budget of 10k.
Also tell me how can i connect my Galaxy s2 with DAC. ofcourse most of mobile has 3.5 jack port to connect.

Thanks for any reply.

You can check some used DAC. Put a wanted thread for same. Do consider some options already posted by FM's

For phone you need to bypass its internal DAC else its no use using external DAC. You will need digital out which you need to check for your phone if possible.

- sent from phone

So where DAC will be conncted with my laptop...either in USB port or in 3.5 mm hole where we connect headphone.

So i think if i can connect DAC with my laptop with 3.5 mm hole so i can do same thing with my phone bcz it has also 3.5 mm hole.

Please throw some light on this.

Basically with laptop you can bypass the internal DAC/soundcard and insted select an eexternally connected DAC. The digital/coaxial output is used to send this signal to the external DAC. Alternatively USB is used if DAC supports it.

I have not tried with phone so can't comment. Some members who have experience can help.

Basically with laptop you can bypass the internal DAC/soundcard and insted select an eexternally connected DAC. The digital/coaxial output is used to send this signal to the external DAC. Alternatively USB is used if DAC supports it.

I have not tried with phone so can't comment. Some members who have experience can help.

Can you tell me if this DAC can connect to DVD player and my laptop. actually not able to figure how can i connect it. bcz i dont require USB ported DAC bcz that wont be able to connect to DVD.

FIIO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter with SMI: Amazon.in: Electronics

Also tell me what do you mean by bypassing laptop's or DVD's inbuilt DAC...is there any software to do this... just confused here :)

Can you tell me if this DAC can connect to DVD player and my laptop. actually not able to figure how can i connect it. bcz i dont require USB ported DAC bcz that wont be able to connect to DVD.

FIIO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter with SMI: Amazon.in: Electronics

Also tell me what do you mean by bypassing laptop's or DVD's inbuilt DAC...is there any software to do this... just confused here :)

It should work.
When you play music in laptop speaker or 3.5mm output, default DAC is used which is present on motherboard. When you connect USB DAC then you see another sound output device which have to be selected as default output. Then digital output streamed to external DAC.
In Windows OS, Players like foobar 2000 with WASAPI can bypass internal DAC to stream music over external USB connected DAC. For Mac OS use Audirvava or VoX player. Linux I haven't been in my laptop yet.
For optical/SPDIF OUTPUT must be present in laptop or cd/DVD Player. It could be selected as default audio output.

Contrary to what omishra said it will NOT work with laptop as very few laptops has optical - co -axial digital out ..... or your laptop have it .??

It should work.
When you play music in laptop speaker or 3.5mm output, default DAC is used which is present on motherboard. When you connect USB DAC then you see another sound output device which have to be selected as default output. Then digital output streamed to external DAC.
In Windows OS, Players like foobar 2000 with WASAPI can bypass internal DAC to stream music over external USB connected DAC. For Mac OS use Audirvava or VoX player. Linux I haven't been in my laptop yet.
For optical/SPDIF OUTPUT must be present in laptop or cd/DVD Player. It could be selected as default audio output.
I made it bold letters. must be present -> is requirement, if present
I have Lenevo laptop model which has HDMI, as well as digital outputs and had one moser bear CDP without any digital outputs. :)

Contrary to what omishra said it will NOT work with laptop as very few laptops has optical - co -axial digital out ..... or your laptop have it .??
For laptops, we can generally use USB streaming.

Last edited:

Yes I checked Dell laptop doesn't have.
an other FM said to have a ordinary DVD player and take a DAC then if i will play even USB will give good quality music.

One FM is selling Logitech Squezebox i should go for that ?

dilemma here in deciding player.

I have mid level DAC but for transport purpose I use SONY DVD player. DAC also connects to Laptop using USB connections. I am happy about outcome

How about this :

Muse Mini 24Bit 192Khz Coaxial Optical USB Input DAC: Amazon.in: Electronics

I think I can connect it with my laptop bcz it has USB input and can connect with my DVD player bcz it has coaxial optical input also.

Looks like the Muse is the right product for you ... Well definitely in comparison DACs like Rega DAC, Arcam irDAC, Musical Fidelity M1 will make a big difference on the sound quality but the price tag of these DACs are almost 8 to 10 times more.

The Muse has all the inputs you are looking for and for the price it's a steal ... it has impressive components inside and the build quality is also decent ...
Just go for it and start enjoying your music :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back