Getting true "hi-res"/ loss- less from Apple Music

After using the Wiim Pro for streaming (Airplay) for quite some, I decided to try and explore true hi- res by connecting the iphone / ipad directly to my Schiit Modi+ DAC. Airplay is limited to (I think) 24/48 or 24/96 and going by the data on the net, it seemed that the Airplay 2 is quite temperamental. I had connected the iphone directly to my amp earlier using the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 and a cheap Amazon lightning to USB A converter. The Dragonfly is again limited to 24/96. Using the connector from Amazon I also wasnt sure what I was getting. I have also used Apple's own lightning to 3.5mm adapter but that is limited to 24/48 and sounds very flat.

I also wanted to exploit the full 24/192 of the Schiit Modi +. After some reading on the net, I came across the Lightning to USB3 connection kit from Apple. Its quite expensive for being just a connector- INR 4,000 being the MRP.
Schiit Audio recommends it for connecting their DACs to the iphone.

View attachment 84422

As per Audioquest as well, it is better to use this version of the adapter (USB 3) rather than cheap connectors to ensure bit perfect delivery of audio to the DAC. This connector also allows for parallel charging of iphones/ipads since it has 2 USB ports.

As per Audioquest:

View attachment 84423

Thankfully the adapter worked flawlessly with the Schiit and the difference is quite startling. I noticed the retreival of smaller details, wider soundstage and the ability of music to now come from a space outside the speakers.

Its a huge step up from Airplay and the cheapest way to experience hi res from Apple. I use my apple watch to control the play list on the phone when it is physically connected to the DAC/amp thereby eliminating the inconvenience of getting up each time to change the track.

Thought of sharing this in case it helps anyone with a similar question.

View attachment 84424
View attachment 84425
iam.using Apple tv 4k and have Iphone. How to get highvresolution music out of this. Any dac connection to apple tv 4k or any other. Pls guide.

iam.using Apple tv 4k and have Iphone. How to get highvresolution music out of this. Any dac connection to apple tv 4k or any other. Pls guide.
Use camera connection kit to connect phone to your DAC. I tested this with my new Fiio DAC which now shows the resolution. With Apple TV you will have to connect to AVR but I guess it’s limited to 48k. Other option is expensive which is to go for Eversolo devices which are ~ 80k plus( new)

Use camera connection kit to connect phone to your DAC. I tested this with my new Fiio DAC which now shows the resolution. With Apple TV you will have to connect to AVR but I guess it’s limited to 48k. Other option is expensive which is to go for Eversolo devices which are ~ 80k plus( new)
Dont have dac.need to get

iam.using Apple tv 4k and have Iphone. How to get highvresolution music out of this.
you can't get hi'res lossless i.e. 192 khz on Apple Music through the Apple TV. However, you can do 192khz from locally stored music files. I am using the Plex app on Apple TV 4k to access 192khz music stored on my PC.
Any dac connection to apple tv 4k or any other. Pls guide.
You can use most AVR, DACs or Stereo Amps which have an HDMI input.

Have maranz cinema 50. Need to get dac
The Marantz has an inbuilt DAC so you don't need to get an additional one separately.

Iam doing the same. But any improvement through mobile etc
There will be in terms of bit rate but not sure if you will be able to hear the difference. For a long time I was fooled by what is lossless and what isn’t. So depends on your ears 👂

I can clearly hear the difference in headphones for sure I opens up and dynamic range increases , one good way to see that is usually the volume will decrease thinking that why but it is actually due to dynamic range increasing

After using the Wiim Pro for streaming (Airplay) for quite some, I decided to try and explore true hi- res by connecting the iphone / ipad directly to my Schiit Modi+ DAC. Airplay is limited to (I think) 24/48 or 24/96 and going by the data on the net, it seemed that the Airplay 2 is quite temperamental. I had connected the iphone directly to my amp earlier using the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 and a cheap Amazon lightning to USB A converter. The Dragonfly is again limited to 24/96. Using the connector from Amazon I also wasnt sure what I was getting. I have also used Apple's own lightning to 3.5mm adapter but that is limited to 24/48 and sounds very flat.

I also wanted to exploit the full 24/192 of the Schiit Modi +. After some reading on the net, I came across the Lightning to USB3 connection kit from Apple. Its quite expensive for being just a connector- INR 4,000 being the MRP.
Schiit Audio recommends it for connecting their DACs to the iphone.

View attachment 84422

As per Audioquest as well, it is better to use this version of the adapter (USB 3) rather than cheap connectors to ensure bit perfect delivery of audio to the DAC. This connector also allows for parallel charging of iphones/ipads since it has 2 USB ports.

As per Audioquest:

View attachment 84423

Thankfully the adapter worked flawlessly with the Schiit and the difference is quite startling. I noticed the retreival of smaller details, wider soundstage and the ability of music to now come from a space outside the speakers.

Its a huge step up from Airplay and the cheapest way to experience hi res from Apple. I use my apple watch to control the play list on the phone when it is physically connected to the DAC/amp thereby eliminating the inconvenience of getting up each time to change the track.

Thought of sharing this in case it helps anyone with a similar question.

View attachment 84424
View attachment 84425
were you able to check the bit rate and the depth when the bitstream was hitting the amp? In Airplay 2 , is it variable?

As far as I know, Airplay 1 is bit perfect upto 16 bits. Airplay 2 resamples to 48khz I think.
AirPlay (1 and 2) is capable of ALAC (lossless) streaming up to 44.1 kHz (48 kHz for video contents).

If you use apple tv, then streaming is fixed at 48 kHz for anything streamed through apple tv.

AirPlay (1 and 2) is capable of ALAC (lossless) streaming up to 44.1 kHz (48 kHz for video contents).

If you use apple tv, then streaming is fixed at 48 kHz for anything streamed through apple tv.
It does. My bad. But stream from apple music over airplay 2 doesn’t stream in ALAC as far as I know. It does AAC.

It does. My bad. But stream from apple music over airplay 2 doesn’t stream in ALAC as far as I know. It does AAC.
That is what reports from many users say that airplay2 is worse than airplay1. So far I haven't come across apple verifying or denying it.

That is what reports from many users say that airplay2 is worse than airplay1. So far I haven't come across apple verifying or denying it.
I use both and there is no difference. Airplay by defaullt seems to employ some kind of a house curve to the output. Wonder if anyone has measured the output.

I use both and there is no difference. Airplay by defaullt seems to employ some kind of a house curve to the output. Wonder if anyone has measured the output.
This is an interesting observation for the reason that it's not only Airplay but i have reason to believe its also applied on the output of the Apple TV. I've noticed that the tone and timbre is distinct from and as opposed to stuff playing on the Eversolo A8, Ifi Zen Stream, Allo Digione Signature or PC - the latter ones mentioned only differ in clarity, dynamics, refinement, dark background/vividness in that order. In fact, i do find myself listening to music through my Apple TV from time to time as the "house curve" is quite appealing to me though i haven't quite put my finger on what it is that i like about it.

As far as I know, Airplay 1 is bit perfect upto 16 bits. Airplay 2 resamples to 48khz I think.
Apple tv4k supprts up to 48khz.Not more than that currently. Where as Iphone suooorts uktra high resolution music up to 192khz.
I have iphone any dac etc to connect to avr to get best music

This is an interesting observation for the reason that it's not only Airplay but i have reason to believe its also applied on the output of the Apple TV. I've noticed that the tone and timbre is distinct from and as opposed to stuff playing on the Eversolo A8, Ifi Zen Stream, Allo Digione Signature or PC - the latter ones mentioned only differ in clarity, dynamics, refinement, dark background/vividness in that order. In fact, i do find myself listening to music through my Apple TV from time to time as the "house curve" is quite appealing to me though i haven't quite put my finger on what it is that i like about it.
yes...I also have an old gen Apple TV with optical output that I use regularly, other than that I also use the Apple TV renders in linux distros on my raspberry pi. Yes...it is enjoyable to listen via Apple TV/Airplay, however at a little loss of transparancy.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back