Getting true "hi-res"/ loss- less from Apple Music

This whole lossless on Apple Music, Airplay etc has been discussed at least in half a dozen threads so far. I find @mbhangui the resident expert on this. He helped me stream lossless Apple Music from my iPhone/iPad to my DAC (CXN) via AirPort Express (which I guess supports AirPlay 1). It works for CD quality, not for hi-res beyond certain resolution. The difference between this and when I Airplay (lossy, due to AirPlay 2) directly from the phone to CXN is palpable to my ears.

Another lossless way of streaming Apple Music is by selecting AirPlay globally (not from the app, but from the top right bar in Mac OS). I don’t know why that works (@mbhangui please explain if you know). But I don’t listen to it that way as the phone/iPad are lot more handy to work with than MacBook.

Last edited:
This whole lossless on Apple Music, Airplay etc has been discussed at least in half a dozen threads so far. I find @mbhangui the resident expert on this.

Agreed. There are so many threads on this and a new one seems to start every week.
We should request @mbhangui to write up an apple music 'whitepaper'. All queries will be directed to said whitepaper and new threads on this topic deleted by the mods :)

Another lossless way of streaming Apple Music is by selecting AirPlay globally (not from the app, but from the top right bar in Mac OS). I don’t know why that works (@mbhangui please explain if you know). But I don’t listen to it that way as the phone/iPad are lot more handy to work with than MacBook.
When you select it globally in the top right bar, it is the mac os that does the negotiation with the remote airplay device. In this setting when you play music in apple music app, the app simply sends the music to the OS at 44.1kHz. It is not sending the music directly to the remote airplay device. The OS buffers the music and is able to maintain the streaming rate without drops.

When you select the airplay device in the apple music app, it is the apple music that does the negotiation with the remote airplay device. It doesn't have the same buffering capability as the OS does and hence depending on your network speed and latency it choses the AAC version mostly.

Similar things happen with when you use a non-apple certified device like wiim (especiatlly with airplay2). The sampling rate drops or the aac version is chosen. However if you use an apple-certified apple device like Marantz, you can do lossless even upto 96 kHz with airplay2 (i don't know if there are other AVR that are apple airplay2 certified). Airplay1 was cracked long time ago and that's the basis for shairport-sync linux package. airplay2 too has been cracked by open source developers in 2019. But I'm not sure if the same has been implemented correctly in the chinese products.

Apple tv4k supprts up to 48khz.Not more than that currently. Where as Iphone suooorts uktra high resolution music up to 192khz.
I have iphone any dac etc to connect to avr to get best music
And do you feel the difference is worth as this might help for me making a decision in terms of features as to which amp/dac/streamer. For ex most of integrated amps have usbb computer labelled input and support usb dac and Bluetooth but no wifi/airplay. If i buy them for now and i can satisfy my need for a high quality listen using wired connection( i dont mind getting up few times for change in playlist etc..) and dont need streamer/better dac immediately. Question: is tradeoff between having airplay 2 and better dac streamer(convenience) vs wired usb dac mode(may be a lesser quality DAC) is reasonable enough and save both space and money , plus widen my choices of amps. As my key consideration is to stick to a single device and not wanting 2 devices immediately

I'm using a simple lightning to usb connector on my old iphone. The new models ones have usb-c so should work directly with a dac.
Does your Lighting to USB cable work connected to DAC? Pls let me know what cable you have - I am connecting my iPhone 15 to Chord Mojo 2 using type C to type and it works well. But, I am unable to connect my iPhone 13 to Mojo using the stock apple charging cable (Lighting to Type C) - the Mojo does not get anything from iPhone 13.

What is camera connection kit. I have bought 16plus 2days back
It is a highly overpriced adaptor made by god himself (the same god that gave you apple that started the whole thing about sin). This thing from apple gives you a glorious usb port from the lightning connector along with the ability to charge the phone while usb is being used. You can get the same result with a lightning to usb connector at 1/10th the cost.

1728571026624.png

Does your Lighting to USB cable work connected to DAC? Pls let me know what cable you have - I am connecting my iPhone 15 to Chord Mojo 2 using type C to type and it works well. But, I am unable to connect my iPhone 13 to Mojo using the stock apple charging cable (Lighting to Type C) - the Mojo does not get anything from iPhone 13.
Read this @alladinkachirag

Read this @alladinkachirag
Thank you @mbhangui . I bought the Lightning to USB adaptor you suggested, and got delivered this morning. And...it works! Money saved is money gained :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back