Kuartlotron Error Correcting Super Buffer

Sachin,

Is there a list somewhere to sign up for group buy? I did not see any list and was wondering if there is any list that I have missed.

Thanks

Received my kit:yahoo:! The PCB is very well designed and very well made. And very compact. Thanks Om and Quad for coming up with such a nice board. I'm truly impressed!

Thanks, Sachin for taking the trouble to get this manufactured and gathering all needed parts for us solder jockeys.

Will start working on it soon.

Received my kit:yahoo:! The PCB is very well designed and very well made. And very compact. Thanks Om and Quad for coming up with such a nice board. I'm truly impressed!

Thanks, Sachin for taking the trouble to get this manufactured and gathering all needed parts for us solder jockeys.

Will start working on it soon.

Om is the man...he has been gracious to credit me,
even though my contribution was minor suggestions :)

Some progress:

BDtyF7P.jpg

HMFojg8.jpg

Will try to finish in the next few days. Lots of other distractions:) not helping at all.

I was not happy with my old cabinet so I ended making a new one. I gave myself a lot of needless pain by using two panels for separating the PSU section from the Kuart board (blame Quad:)). Also, to shorten internal cabling I decided to mount both source selection switch and volume pot on brackets near the PCB. Need to make pot extender.

Last edited:
Yes Joshua we need your inputs regarding the components positioning for soldering which one goes where :). Most of the guys have received the kits from Sachin.

Hi Joshua
It would be great if you post some small build guide. There are some pointers like voltage setting, trimmers adjustment are important. I also have some confusions.

Regards
Sachin

Last edited:
Completed the build and calibration with one input channel. Sounding good:) No hiss or hum at any volume. Impressive!

I have made one major departure from my earlier plan - I'm using solid core, 20 gauge copper wire with Teflon insulation for all internal wiring. The earlier plan was to use the Helusound AES DMX cable as it had performed exceptionally well in the DCB1 buffer. Anyway, I had bought the solid core for wiring up another project, so I gave it a shot. This wire is similar to CAT5/6 wire but much thicker and much more rigid. I will wire up the remaining 3 inputs after putting in more hours to decide if the solid core beats the Helusound DMX cable.

I will post initial testing and adjustment procedures in some details tomorrow night or the day after. I can't understand Keantoken's instructions about measuring the Vbe of transistor Q4 and Veb of transistor Q3. I measured the values, but the calculation didn't make sense to me. Will ask the designer to explain. Anyway, after calibrations the DC offset on both channels is about 0.012 to 0.015 mV, which is as good as zero.

Joshua, no need to measure further as you matched hfe of same transistors. Also mismatch hfe for 550 and 560 pairs is not giving any side effect.

Will be interesting to hear about the sound in comparison with other preamps or buffers.
I guess you will be doing this ?
Interesting casing. Maybe the wood could be lacquered ? In any case it looks nice.

Joshua has posted comparison with DCB1 which was already better than few commercial preamps.
Cab is still unfinished.

Regards
Sachin

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back