My final decision..Denon 1713 and Wharfedale DX1

I don't agree with this statement, because I own this system and its simply superb..fantastic performance.I have auditioned so many systems and HT packages and after that I finalized this package..I never feel regret by its performance..its really value for the money package..I am very happy with it as it satisfies my all needs in terms of watching movies or listening to music..:)

This sounds very assuring. Have you experienced the "Phat" sound that Angynagpal is experiencing. But thankfully Angy has given the solution in detail.

This sounds very assuring. Have you experienced the "Phat" sound that Angynagpal is experiencing. But thankfully Angy has given the solution in detail.
What could be the root problem--Is AVR and speaker-set mismatched (8ohm with 4ohm) in this combo?

Its out of stock now, so you could be right! However, its a natural cycle for all electronics - You get discounts for products being replaced with new product-line. Its not a bad thing.
What other option did you have?

It might be out of stock at "hifimart" but still available in market at dealers..

No I have never experienced such "phat" sound even at higher volumes..

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Now that I am back from my vacation, its time to get back on the discussion about crossovers that I had initiated before I left. I did some googling on the topic of crossovers, and found out that on a lot of forums/articles, people have suggested to keep the crossover for satellite speakers at 120Hz. Now this does seem to cause some localization issues (i.e you know from where the sounds above 80Hz are coming from, so sounds between 80Hz-120Hz from the sub are directional), however people are of the opinion that most of the satellites are not capable of producing the sounds below 120Hz, so that job should be left to the expert, i.e. the sub. This also ensures that the speakers use all the power received by them to produce the sound frequencies that they excel in rather than bothering about frequencies that they might not be able to produce at all.

This then led me to find out the frequency range of the speakers that I have (DX-1). This link states the frequency response as 120Hz-20Khz for these speakers, which is quite in sync with the stuff posted on the internet about satellite speakers.

So now, here is my question, since the speakers themselves are rated at 120Hz-20Khz, would we not lose the sound from 100Hz-120Hz if we keep the crossover at 100Hz, as neither would they be sent to the sub nor would the speakers be able to produce them? Also, if the official frequency response is mentioned as not going below 120Hz, then would it be ok to send frequencies below that to the speakers?

Here is another good link showing the test results for this speaker set. It seems the more I look, the better the 120Hz crossover sounds, i.e. theoretically, as the best judge at the end of the day is your ears :)! So if you like the sound at 100Hz crossover, keep it at that, if you prefer 120Hz, keep it at that. I think the most important thing is to listen to the speakers at a particular setting for 3-4 days before changing anything again.

As for the 'Phattt' sound heard by me, I will try the same movie scene (avengers) from another source (maybe a BluRay Disc or star movies hd recording) and check if I get the same sound. Earlier I played it through a brrip which I feel might have bad encoding. Here are the audio parameters of that brrip:

ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 2h 22mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 393 MiB (15%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Last edited:
As for the 'Phattt' sound heard by me, I will try the same movie scene (avengers) from another source (maybe a BluRay Disc or star movies hd recording) and check if I get the same sound. Earlier I played it through a brrip which I feel might have bad encoding. Here are the audio parameters of that brrip:

ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 2h 22mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 393 MiB (15%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Yet another update (sorry Umapati for hijacking your thread :p):

I played the same scene from Avengers movie using a recording of the movie from star movies hd, and it appears I hear the same 'Phattt' sound, so it seems that it was not a problem with the source material. I felt lost after that! Cheated :(! However, then lightning struck and I seem to have removed the 'Phattt' sound problem for good :yahoo:...and that too by fluke. Now I can play the same scene again and again at 85db (+5db over the reference volume of 0db), at crossovers of 100Hz, and still not get that same sound. On top of that, the system sounds much more louder as well even at lower volumes.

All I did was run Audyssey again, but this time with a proper tripod and measuring all the 8 positions. Previously I had just measured the 3 main seating positions, but after reading more about audyssey, I realized that all the 8 positions are important (irrespective of whether anyone actually sits there or not) as based on them the system understands your room dynamics. I have to say.....I could hear a 'marked' difference in the sound produced by the speakers now. I was actually surprised, as I thought that the system sounded great even before, and frankly I was not expecting much audible improvement in the sound, but boy oh boy....was I in for a treat!!!! The system sounded so much better that both my wife and mom-in-law, who had heard the system before, were awed and said that it now sounded like a totally different system :)!

Now when I listen to the same scene with audyssey turned on along with the 'Movie' dynamic EQ, there is not even an iota of that phatt sound. However, if I do play the same scene using 'Direct' sound setting (i.e. the Dynamic EQ filters which were calculated based on your room are disabled) then I do hear the phatt sound, which tells me that audyssey actually removed that problem by creating a dynamic EQ based on my room.

During the time I was researching the HT products, I really used to feel that audyssey is not really that great and its more of a hit or miss kind of thing (based on some stuff I read on the internet), but was I wrong or what!! Audyssey is pure magic! The difference that it makes is audible even to the most untrained ears. I think my room (8ft viewing distance wall to wall, right side opening to the other half of the living room which further opens up to the dining room...all without any doors, left side a full glass door, coffee table between the tv and couch, left speakers almost touching the side walls) would have been a challenge to calibrate even for the most trained sound professional, however with the changes made by audyssey, the system sounds much better than what I demoed (I had demoed moviestar 70+) in a properly calibrated demo room!!! Even the music sounds 10 times better (it really sounds AWESOME now) with the new settings. I am even more impressed by this product!

PS: I tried setting the sub right next to my couch (4 inch gap between the couch and sub as well as between the sub and side wall), changed the phase to 180.................all I can say is if anyone has not tried this position for a sub yet.....do so now....its worth dying for :)!!!! (Warning: only for movies though.....stereo music sounds wierd with this)

It seems all my problems have been solved now, and the system sounds much better than ever :)!!! So, no more updates from me......unless ofcourse I discover something magical again :p

Last edited:
Thanks Angynagpal for giving regular updates. I have also bought the same speaker but not yet installed them. But I appreciate the inputs which should be very helpful to me. Hopefully I shall install them the next week.

Thanks Angynagpal for giving regular updates. I have also bought the same speaker but not yet installed them. But I appreciate the inputs which should be very helpful to me. Hopefully I shall install them the next week.

Pleasure was all mine bro :)

Yet another update (sorry Umapati for hijacking your thread :p):

I played the same scene from Avengers movie using a recording of the movie from star movies hd, and it appears I hear the same 'Phattt' sound, so it seems that it was not a problem with the source material. I felt lost after that! Cheated :(! However, then lightning struck and I seem to have removed the 'Phattt' sound problem for good :yahoo:...and that too by fluke. Now I can play the same scene again and again at 85db (+5db over the reference volume of 0db), at crossovers of 100Hz, and still not get that same sound. On top of that, the system sounds much more louder as well even at lower volumes.

All I did was run Audyssey again, but this time with a proper tripod and measuring all the 8 positions. Previously I had just measured the 3 main seating positions, but after reading more about audyssey, I realized that all the 8 positions are important (irrespective of whether anyone actually sits there or not) as based on them the system understands your room dynamics. I have to say.....I could hear a 'marked' difference in the sound produced by the speakers now. I was actually surprised, as I thought that the system sounded great even before, and frankly I was not expecting much audible improvement in the sound, but boy oh boy....was I in for a treat!!!! The system sounded so much better that both my wife and mom-in-law, who had heard the system before, were awed and said that it now sounded like a totally different system :)!

Now when I listen to the same scene with audyssey turned on along with the 'Movie' dynamic EQ, there is not even an iota of that phatt sound. However, if I do play the same scene using 'Direct' sound setting (i.e. the Dynamic EQ filters which were calculated based on your room are disabled) then I do hear the phatt sound, which tells me that audyssey actually removed that problem by creating a dynamic EQ based on my room.

During the time I was researching the HT products, I really used to feel that audyssey is not really that great and its more of a hit or miss kind of thing (based on some stuff I read on the internet), but was I wrong or what!! Audyssey is pure magic! The difference that it makes is audible even to the most untrained ears. I think my room (8ft viewing distance wall to wall, right side opening to the other half of the living room which further opens up to the dining room...all without any doors, left side a full glass door, coffee table between the tv and couch, left speakers almost touching the side walls) would have been a challenge to calibrate even for the most trained sound professional, however with the changes made by audyssey, the system sounds much better than what I demoed (I had demoed moviestar 70+) in a properly calibrated demo room!!! Even the music sounds 10 times better (it really sounds AWESOME now) with the new settings. I am even more impressed by this product!

PS: I tried setting the sub right next to my couch (4 inch gap between the couch and sub as well as between the sub and side wall), changed the phase to 180.................all I can say is if anyone has not tried this position for a sub yet.....do so now....its worth dying for :)!!!! (Warning: only for movies though.....stereo music sounds wierd with this)

It seems all my problems have been solved now, and the system sounds much better than ever :)!!! So, no more updates from me......unless ofcourse I discover something magical again :p

Are you saying that you have placed the sub where you sit rather than near the front?

Are you saying that you have placed the sub where you sit rather than near the front?

Yeah....its right beside (slightly behind my ear position) the couch where we sit. It lies between the couch and the wall pillar next to the couch....which is kind of a corner as well (you can see the corner in the rear speaker placement pic here)!!

Last edited:
Yeah....its right beside (slightly behind my ear position) the couch where we sit. It lies between the couch and the wall pillar next to the couch....which is kind of a corner as well (you can see the corner in the rear speaker placement pic here)!!
Even when I auditioned the same package at dealer's place it was located behind the sofa where we sit and an awesome audio experience we had..

Hi guys,

This is immensely helpful thread for me since i am equally impressed with DX1 speaker set and almost decided to buy it. Since many of you own this system I have few questions?

Did any one tried DX1 with Marantz recievers? any model slimline or SR5007.

Bass n Treble recommended DX1 with SR5007 (due to its very musical nature). I auditioned SR5007 with Moviestar 70 and it was awesome for movie as well as music. He told the same thing about DX1 but did not had it that time. I am sure SR5007 with DX1 will produce awesome sound but it is little expensive set up for me.

Therefore, I wanted to try it with Marantz slimline recievers but it seems that nowhere in Delhi NCR they keep it for auditions even though reviews suggests that these are equally good except little less power.

Hifimart is offering NR1402 with DX1 for c.62k which looks like a good deal. I have not yet bargained as i wanted to audition them first.

Given that many of you in this thread own this excellent system, please could you help in deciding what would be the best combo for this.

Your valuable opinion in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Thanks n Regards,
Vinay

Even when I auditioned the same package at dealer's place it was located behind the sofa where we sit and an awesome audio experience we had..

Yeah....it really adds a new sense of immersion when watching a movie. I watched Book Of Eli a couple of days back with my wife and parents-in-law (;)), and I swear, every Gun Shot we heard, Every Explosion we heard, we felt its impact :)!

The link opens another thread. No picture there.

Hi guys,

This is immensely helpful thread for me since i am equally impressed with DX1 speaker set and almost decided to buy it. Since many of you own this system I have few questions?

Bass n Treble recommended DX1 with SR5007 (due to its very musical nature). I auditioned SR5007 with Moviestar 70 and it was awesome for movie as well as music. He told the same thing about DX1 but did not had it that time. I am sure SR5007 with DX1 will produce awesome sound but it is little expensive set up for me.

Therefore, I wanted to try it with Marantz slimline recievers but it seems that nowhere in Delhi NCR they keep it for auditions even though reviews suggests that these are equally good except little less power.

Hifimart is offering NR1402 with DX1 for c.62k which looks like a good deal. I have not yet bargained as i wanted to audition them first.

Given that many of you in this thread own this excellent system, please could you help in deciding what would be the best combo for this.

Thanks n Regards,
Vinay

Hey I am also in the same boat. So have done a lot of reading. From what I gather, marantz is definitely better sounding but the denon is simpler to set up, the maranrz is better for music while denon is good for movies. My decision is more or less towards the denon marantz combo, as I want a fairly simple setup, and even the dual zone of marantz is a mess as it allows only analogue for zone 2.

Hi guys,

Thanks n Regards,
Vinay
I did auditioned it with Marantz at dealer's set up but unfortunately I didn't pay any attention to its model no. but trust my words, it was also an awesome experience with both movies and music too..as I was more determined for Denon 1713, I requested dealer to change over to Denon and then I went in detailing..Still I will suggest you to have an audition of Marantz and DX-1 combination and then decide..if you are happy with Moviestar 70, I am sure DX-1 will not let you down..

if you are happy with Moviestar 70, I am sure DX-1 will not let you down..

Even I auditioned Moviestar 70 at bass and treble before ordering DX-1 (they did not have DX-1 for demo. Lol...I think they must be surprised how suddenly so many people are interested in the DX-1. Couple of months back when I went to them for DX-1, they hadnt even heard of the system :lol:) from them. From what I have experienced....DX-1 is noticeably better and clearer than moviestar 70+, which is awesome as Moviestar 70+ really sounds great as well.

Music wise, I think DX-1 sounds way better than Moviestar 70+ as well!!!

If you are more inclined towards music, then you may go for Marantz. But really, the ease of 'setup, calibration and use' of Denon 1713 should not be ignored.

Last edited:
Was going through the speaker specs of Moviestar 70+ and DX 1. Noticed that the Moviestar 70+ woofer is 4" as compared to 'most' other satellites, which incidentally range between 3 and 3.5". Going by this, the overall sound generated from a 4" 'should' be superior to the other smaller drivers. Even the 70+ housing is a lot thicker and said to be more resonance-free than the rest. Yes, as far as aesthetics go, 'some' might have some resevations on the 70+ due to its steel grey finish and industrial but, solid looks.

Have heard the 70+ at my friend's place, coupled to a Denon 1610 (I guess). Very good for both movies (5.1) and excellent for music (2.1). Have not heard the DX 1, so, cannot comment.

Hai guys,

I was thinking for a long time whether to go for Yamaha RX-V473 or Denon 1713.

After going through the various forums, y'day I got my denon 1713 from FairDeal, Crawford Market, Mumbai. The set up was very simple, I could connect my LAN and could play from my iPad using Apple airPlay.

Now i have to add speakers. I am interested in Polk Audio Bookshelves. For the moment, I am planning to buy a pair of Tsi 100 or Tsi 200. Then later on add surround, center and woofer.

Please suggest me which one to go for of the above or is there any other option?

Thamizh

Was going through the speaker specs of Moviestar 70+ and DX 1. Noticed that the Moviestar 70+ woofer is 4" as compared to 'most' other satellites, which incidentally range between 3 and 3.5". Going by this, the overall sound generated from a 4" 'should' be superior to the other smaller drivers. Even the 70+ housing is a lot thicker and said to be more resonance-free than the rest. Yes, as far as aesthetics go, 'some' might have some resevations on the 70+ due to its steel grey finish and industrial but, solid looks.

Have heard the 70+ at my friend's place, coupled to a Denon 1610 (I guess). Very good for both movies (5.1) and excellent for music (2.1). Have not heard the DX 1, so, cannot comment.

70+ is cheaper and sounds fine. But the looks are not do good. Better Half are normally more worried about looks. So DX-1 is a better compromise package. You get sound with Looks!!!:D

Even I have not yet heard the DX-1. Bass'n'Treble let me have me audition on 70+ and said that DX-1 were better as told by his distributor and people. Even he had not heard of DX-1!!!!

Denon 1713 is a pocket friendly price as compared to Marantz. Also Marantz is expensive to repair just incase. As per the dealers other than Bass'n'Treble, 5007 is an overkill for these satellite speakers. (Even when they have both).

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back