Post your latest AV purchase(s)......

Somewhat like preparing a gourmet meal!
One ingredient that doesn’t fit or is too much changes the character of the dish?

How did you end up choosing your speakers?
Thanks @rwnano and @Analogous . I only knew the sound signature I wanted. Which was a lush and forgiving voicing with the details intact. And another requirement was that the speakers had to be transmission lines, as my previous speakers were the PMC Twenty 26, which are also transmission line designs. Iam not exactly a sound technology expert, but the PMC's had the best timing, imaging and speed I've ever heard. It's bass still remains a benchmark for me. But being neutral and leaning towards the lean side, they were'nt the best suited to 80's music which was mixed bright. But nothing beats them at fast electronic music like EDM etc.

So started the hunt for new speakers with more body to the sound, since I knew the exact sound I wanted, @prem suggested I go the DIY route, and suggested @Hari Iyer sir of our forum to approach. So that is how the entire build got started. The main goal was a very efficient speaker, capable of being run with modest tube amps, detailed, but full bodied sound, with immense scale, very deep bass, and absolutely no brightness. Another requirement was to have binding posts for each driver with direct access, so I could go active by passing the crossover when required. The driver selection was left to Hari sir as was the cabinet design, as I had absolutely no clue about them. And the speakers are everything I hoped for and wanted. It's been 7 years with them, and Iam still happy with them. Over this period the sources and amplification have changed quite a bit, and the speakers have kept apace scaling up with the improving sources. I dont think I will ever buy another commercial speaker again, except the Qacoustics concept 500's to replace my ageing Concept 40's in the living room HT system. But my main speakers in the core 2 channel system will always be DIY :)

Thanks @rwnano and @Analogous . I only knew the sound signature I wanted. Which was a lush and forgiving voicing with the details intact. And another requirement was that the speakers had to be transmission lines, as my previous speakers were the PMC Twenty 26, which are also transmission line designs. Iam not exactly a sound technology expert, but the PMC's had the best timing, imaging and speed I've ever heard. It's bass still remains a benchmark for me. But being neutral and leaning towards the lean side, they were'nt the best suited to 80's music which was mixed bright. But nothing beats them at fast electronic music like EDM etc.

So started the hunt for new speakers with more body to the sound, since I knew the exact sound I wanted, @prem suggested I go the DIY route, and suggested @Hari Iyer sir of our forum to approach. So that is how the entire build got started. The main goal was a very efficient speaker, capable of being run with modest tube amps, detailed, but full bodied sound, with immense scale, very deep bass, and absolutely no brightness. Another requirement was to have binding posts for each driver with direct access, so I could go active by passing the crossover when required. The driver selection was left to Hari sir as was the cabinet design, as I had absolutely no clue about them. And the speakers are everything I hoped for and wanted. It's been 7 years with them, and Iam still happy with them. Over this period the sources and amplification have changed quite a bit, and the speakers have kept apace scaling up with the improving sources. I dont think I will ever buy another commercial speaker again, except the Qacoustics concept 500's to replace my ageing Concept 40's in the living room HT system. But my main speakers in the core 2 channel system will always be DIY :)
Many congratulations on your way. Transmission lines are complex but have excellent bass. What brands drivers are there in the diy speakers please?

Thank you. It makes perfect sense now.

Got the replacement for the center channel. Now all is sorted.

View attachment 85273
I shall suggest something different in place of foam pads. Use a 10mm SS hexnut - 3 for each speakers and place it below the speakers instead. These hexnuts are around 5mm tall. This will not only give you good isolation but also very low compliance. With the foam pad the compliance is very poor.

I shall suggest something different in place of foam pads. Use a 10mm SS hexnut - 3 for each speakers and place it below the speakers instead. These hexnuts are around 5mm tall. This will not only give you good isolation but also very low compliance. With the foam pad the compliance is very poor.
Unfortunately the table top is not completely flat and the speakers wobble. So, I do have to keep some kind of a pad to make sure they don't wobble and are stable

Below is my final setup past one month. Well all are not technically purchased, but some of the components are,

My Digital rig consist of the below,

Marantz Blueray player - UD7007 (Purchased)

CD Player.png
RME ADI-2 AD/DA converter (Purchased)

DAC.jpg

My Analog rig consist of the below,

Thorens TD-145MK2 TT with Rega RB330 tonearm and Audiotechnica VM-95C cartridge

Turntable.jpg

DIY tube phono preamplifier using 12ax7 tubes and Mosfets

1720595773951.jpeg

Common to both the digital and analogue rigs are below,

My DIY Direct Coupled 300B tube DHT SET

1720595794318.jpeg

My DIY OB speakers
OB Speakers.jpg

Thanks for looking.

@Yelamanchili manohar : Are the 3 different amps gain matched with the drivers? Else each driver will be singing in its own zip code!

Also how has your experience been with the TSD15 and EMT SUT? I am seriously considering this!
Haha...no the amps are not gain matched. But I can adjust the individual levels and crossover frequencies on the active crossover to achieve balance between all the drivers.

The EMT TSD-15 is my very first cart. So I dont have any frame of reference to compare it against anything else. But Iam extremely pleased with it, and it performs at the same level as the digital rig, so that has kept the upgraditis at bay. But I do want to try a Hana ML and a Urushi black for a more lush presentation at some point, but not right now. As Iam still to get a modern dac to get my digital upto date, and only then will consider making additions or changes to the analogue rig.

I havent been lucky with the STX 21 SUT so far. As can be seen, the rig is in a tight spot, and Iam having hum issues owing to proximity of so many transformers. Will probably need to move the TT a little farther to stop the hum or probably have to try various grounding schemes at the TT end and see. But I just dont have the time to experiment so much. So Iam presently using the Bigbottle MK3 tubed phono stage directly, with excellent results.

Below is my final setup past one month. Well all are not technically purchased, but some of the components are,

My DIY OB speakers

Thanks for looking.
Wow- this is like starting a nuclear reactor- the way they show in movies- as many switches and components ! Those DIY speakers are very intriguing with 2 drivers on top of the cabinet ? Amazing to look at - must be even better to listen to.

Cheers !!

View attachment 85469

View attachment 85470

View attachment 85471

View attachment 85472

View attachment 85473

My DIY OB speakers
View attachment 85474

Thanks for looking.
Your goodself's entire custom built system looks incredible sir :)

The speakers and amps and the kit match so well in finish. Must be sounding divine too :)

After reading a lot of reviews and forums went with denon x4800 and seriously regretting it. The inbuilt aamp in it sounds worser than shitttt....what have they been thinking!!!!
More than a decade old my pioneer lx57 class D amps sounds far superior....

Then had to buy anthem (MCA 325) for LCR and that actually got everything else sorted. Now using x4800 only for surrounds.
Wanted to try crown and bought xls2502 and extremely happy with it. Surprisingly for the one tenth the price it sounds better than anthem mca325.

Got polk R700 - they are good but repent on going to savings mode and not choosing R11 meta

Polk centre (R350 or???) R series has serious reliability issues. Got their tweeter blown twice in 6months.

Polk sounds good enough for me.
But comparing to my previous monitor audio silver series setup...polk sounds punchier, more warmer and louder but the level of refinement is not there yet....may be burn in would make it sound better.

Overall i doubt the voice and hi frequency response would match the refinement level of monitor audio silver series.

As for the amp anthem sounds better than pioneer lx57 class D amp. Crown xls 2502 sounds better than anthem.

Really would love a solution to use the amps in my pioneer lx57 , may be some sort of rca to hdmi conversion and put lx57 in pure direct mode. They sound excellent.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back