Protection for my AVR - Genset backup - Cheapest option - Stabalizer or Surge protect

Shrinivas

Hi,

After reading thru this forum I brought APC BR1100CI-IN UPS for my BENQ 1070 projector and its working fine.

In my apartment we have GENSET which switch over during power failure.
I have noticed that during such switchover my AVR sounds as relay in it gets operated. At times its two to three time of relay sound.

What would be the best option I should be buying to protect my AVR.
Its Yamaha 196 HTIB.

Should I buy spike guard / stabilizer in my case where I have genset to take load during power failure but I want to protect during such switch-overs.?
I read that UPS is NOT advisable for AVR's.
What is the cheapest option please.

Regards

Re: Protection for my AVR - Genset backup - Cheapest option - Stabalizer or Surge pro

My advice to you is to turn off the receiver and not use it when there is a power outage. Generator power is probably more unsteady than power from the grid because the genset is managing multiple loads from various apartment equipment such as the elevator, etc. This will cause voltage variation and will eventually lead to equipment damage.

Re: Protection for my AVR - Genset backup - Cheapest option - Stabalizer or Surge pro

I would suggest use Belkin make Surge Protector which comes with 6 or 8 sockets and a common switch. I am using this since 3-4 years and have not faced any problems yet though there has been many power failures. (of course - our society has no generator back up). I think it is more important to protect devices against surge and high voltage rather than power outages.

Could you please help to provide some kind of link ..or pointers to see what techincal values I need to check in those surge protectors? please

Could you please help to provide some kind of link ..or pointers to see what techincal values I need to check in those surge protectors? please

Look out for the shortest time (in nano seconds) that it takes to get activated against high voltage. For Voltage clamping, higher the better. Most probably, Belkin offers life time warranty on this product but just reconfirm.

great,I think it is more important to protect devices against surge and high voltage rather than power outages. thanks
9B7ES5

I use an earlier version of the below for running my entire set up, even on genset

Stabilizer - Volt Stabilizer | Voltage Stabilizers :: V-Guard)

Have been using for the past 5 years

I checked with V Guard support team. I said I need to protect (250 Watts AVR for 100 Watts *5 speakers + ~100 Watt subwoffer - total ~850 Watts)

he is suggesting V Gaurg Digi200 which is supposed to handle around 1.1 KV as per him. As per him Vgaurd Crystal plus can handle only around 650 Watts.

So, bit confused. Wanted to know if my Wattage calculation is correct?

I checked on AVR it was mentioned as 250 Watts and each speaker have 100 Watts mentioned.

I have been using Belkin surge protector for my plasma and pioneer rs 32 HT from 2years with no prbs at all. must buy for anyone.

Flipkart.com | Belkin 8 Socket Surge Protector - Surge Protector

Thanks.. any idea if its mentioned somewhere that this is Genset compatiable?
On V Gaurd products after suggestion as in the above post , I had noticed that they are Genset compatiable.

How is a Belkin surge protector going to save you from avoiding relay clicks taking place in your Av receiver? The relay clicks are the result of the genset switching over.

Also; if you do end up buying a stabilizer, how are you going to power everything considering the sub woofer never usually sits right beside other electronic equipment. Unless in your case, it does.

Belkin say they protect and insure all connected devices. However; when something does blow, chances are that your claim will be rejected. Belkin will inspect the surge protector and if they find everything in order with the surge protector, why will they honor the claim.

I'd unplug, switch off sensitive electronic appliances when not in use, running on generator backup and if there is a thunderstorm outside.

How is a Belkin surge protector going to save you from avoiding relay clicks taking place in your Av receiver? The relay clicks are the result of the genset switching over.

Also; if you do end up buying a stabilizer, how are you going to power everything considering the sub woofer never usually sits right beside other electronic equipment. Unless in your case, it does.

Belkin say they protect and insure all connected devices. However; when something does blow, chances are that your claim will be rejected. Belkin will inspect the surge protector and if they find everything in order with the surge protector, why will they honor the claim.

I'd unplug, switch off sensitive electronic appliances when not in use, running on generator backup and if there is a thunderstorm outside.

The GENSET is common one for the apartment and hence have no control on its switching on / off. Since at times it happens multiple times, I want to have atleast some kind of protection for my AVR.
You mentioned very rightly that company will reject claim 'if any' by giving some excuse.
BTW, is my wattage calculation for AVR + Speakers correct?

I tend to agree with sandeepmohan. Not really sure that Belkin will cover anything. AFAIK it is a marketing ploy. In India, it is just make a sale with any promise and after that forget about the customer. I can just imagine all the phone calls, wait time, serviceman no shows, false promises etc. if something does go wrong.
Just take precautions on when you use your system, and IMO that is the safest method. Secondly if possible install a spike protector at the MCB and thirdly use a servo stabilizer. All these will help.
Cheers,
Sid

BTW, is my wattage calculation for AVR + Speakers correct?

Do not calculate the speaker wattage and include it as part of the calculation.

Take note of the receivers power consumption, sub woofer power requirements and what ever else you have.

Any basic stabilizer will do the job. All you want is a delayed ON once power switches to genet and back to grid power.

Hi everyone,

Considering this scenario, why can't we use a ups rather than using a belkin surge protector ? Any advantages or disadvantages ? I was in a impression that an UPS will take care of this..after reading this thread am confused.

Much appreciate your suggestions

I checked with V Guard support team. I said I need to protect (250 Watts AVR for 100 Watts *5 speakers + ~100 Watt subwoffer - total ~850 Watts)

he is suggesting V Gaurg Digi200 which is supposed to handle around 1.1 KV as per him. As per him Vgaurd Crystal plus can handle only around 650 Watts.

So, bit confused. Wanted to know if my Wattage calculation is correct?

I checked on AVR it was mentioned as 250 Watts and each speaker have 100 Watts mentioned.

The AVR max power will be 250 W as per the specs. All 5 speakers will not draw peak power of 100 w simultaneously. They will be alternating.

However it will be good idea to connect all your HT equipment including TV to the stabiliser. Arrive at the wattage after adding up the name plate wattages of the equipment.

Do not calculate the speaker wattage and include it as part of the calculation.

Take note of the receivers power consumption, sub woofer power requirements and what ever else you have.

Any basic stabilizer will do the job. All you want is a delayed ON once power switches to genet and back to grid power.

Thanks... but to my limited knowledge, we use delayed stabilizer for Refrigerator for protecting compressor... so do we need in my case too for AVR ? i.e. is it because the genset switch over happens so delayed ON is preferred to get the switch over stabilized?
Basic stabilizer means .. will Crystal plus from V guard do? although it wont have delayed ON..

The AVR max power will be 250 W as per the specs. All 5 speakers will not draw peak power of 100 w simultaneously. They will be alternating.

Well explained .. got it now..:)

Hi everyone,

Considering this scenario, why can't we use a ups rather than using a belkin surge protector ? Any advantages or disadvantages ? I was in a impression that an UPS will take care of this..after reading this thread am confused.

Much appreciate your suggestions

Somewhere in this forum itself I had read that UPS will NOT supply pure Sine wave output and hence not advised for AVR's.

Pure Sinewave UPS will cost more. I am not expert but this is based on my reading in this forum.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back