Showcase your audio/video setup here!......

Hi Guys
Some changes.
Accuphase Integrated E450 replaced with the Pre power C 2110 / P 4100
Old Yamaha cdp replaced with the Esoteric XO 5

These changes took place a couple of months ago and I still have an E 460 with my old Yamaha cdp driving the Thiel CS 2.4 at my old home.
Rgds

Attachments

• my new audio rig 003.jpg
    my new audio rig 003.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 646
  • my new audio rig 008.jpg
    my new audio rig 008.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 640
  • my new audio rig 009.jpg
    my new audio rig 009.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 634
  • my new audio rig 010.jpg
    my new audio rig 010.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
hi,

thanks to all the members on this forum who helped me renovate my theater.

Just posted some pictures of my setup at:
smedhavi's home theater gallery - my theater (20 photos)

also check out:
http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...ter-room-need-your-guidance-9.html#post227138

80381_full.jpg

thanks,

I'm s p e e c h l e s s!

Attachments

• speechless.jpg
    speechless.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 613
Dinyaar,
Firstly, a big congratulation!

Secondly, would you be kind enough to write about the current system, before you upgrade it to the next level :)? At least, what are the differences with the one I heard when I visited you about a year ago?

Thirdly, how far away are the speakers from each other and what is the distance of each from the listening position?

Regards.

Thanks guys.

Avidyarthi/ Ashok well times are not too bad for small time stock brokers I guess!!!
No 'calls' or 'puts' but 'buy backs'!!!!!
ATLAS COPCO :D:D

Next stop SIEMENS;)

Rgds

i think the speakers are3.5 tiles apart ( that would be 7 feet)

listening distance is about 4 tiles away too(at least the line of the ear is that much) as far as i recall

the speakers are Avalon Ascendos if anyone is in doubt
All cabling in VDH ( speaker and interconnect) (well dinyaar has a ton of cables that he keeps changing i can never keep track - but i think hes settles with these)
Connectors are all all WBT and furutech

Acoustic panelling is done on both rack sides.
Rack is mounted on feet from Hettich if im not mistaken with marble footers

Sound wise
well they sound different from the B&Ws that i considered heavy sounding
they sound differnt from the Thiels ( that dinyaar had for a short period ) - they boomed a wee bit in his room
The current setup well lets say sounds refined and RICH! ( considering the moolah gone in hehe)

at this level theres no point of talking of detail and resolution
that was there in all previous setups too
whats changed actually seems to be the timbre

P.S : next time ill take the pics if you dont mind

Last edited:
Dinyaar,
Firstly, a big congratulation!

Secondly, would you be kind enough to write about the current system, before you upgrade it to the next level :)? At least, what are the differences with the one I heard when I visited you about a year ago?

Thirdly, how far away are the speakers from each other and what is the distance of each from the listening position?

Regards.

Asit

Its not really about upgrades or what level or what category this rig falls into.

When U came over I had the Accuphase E 450 with the B&W 805 s and the cdp was the Yamaha CDS 2000. That was at the time when my home was being refurbished and I was living in my uncles large, vacant apartment.

When I moved back home I fired up the system in a room much larger than what I had earlier. The room size is 16 ft X 14 ft and it leads into a smallish open kitchen. The speakers are 7 ft apart and 2 ft from the rear wall. The side wall on the left speaker is about 3 ft and on the right about 5 ft.
I sit about 8 ft away from the speakers on a two seater sofa and there is a wall 6 inches behind the sofa.

I always had a floor stander in my earlier homes but could never really accomodate one to my satisfaction in this home. Have gone through quite a few candidates before I had bought the 805s sometime in 2007 I guess. I still like that speaker and it did a lot right but finally it was the over zealous metal dome tweeter that made a lot of my music sound a tad bit unrealistic. Secondly the speaker CANNOT handle real power being pumped in. It reacts by sounding heavy / harsh so high SPLs are a bit difficult to sustain. The B&W distri was kind enough to offer me many options but finally I wanted to get out of this and look for other options. At the time I was seriously considering a smallish floor stander and was hoping that it would not boom (bass overhang) in my room. 805 was sold in a jiffy and I then was all set to try out all that I had shortlisted in MY OWN ROOM.

Borrowed some popular candidates from my buddies and rest like the thiels I got from dealers for a home audition.Finally settled on the Avalon Ascendant as that came closest to the most NATURAL BALANCE to my ears. Highs that are natural, realistic and a bass that does not go down too low. In my opinion Avalon does the tone right. Integration of drivers is TOP DRAW. The only issue I had was that the E 450 in my opinion could be bettered!!!! What I was looking was something with similar fluidity, similar pleasantly coloured tone BUT something with a bit lesser bloom and more control. I have heard the indra / ascendant perform very differently with different electronics and I was informed by my overseas friends that the speaker will change colour (like most speakers) as it breaks in, only in this brand the break in is pretty dramatic. Took all this with more than a grain of salt but finally after about a week of listening I decided to take the Avalons.

Difference v/s the B&W 805 BS is naturally bigger scale , more depth , smoother highs and over all more involving. Downside 3 X the price!

An uncle was all set to buy my accuphase amp so I was looking for electronics once again. Again tried a lot from the sims, AR, Classe.......... but I somehow liked a lot that the Accuphase did so I was in a bit of a spot. Plus the superb feel / build of the Accuphase was not something that my wife or me could let go easily.

Meanwhile the distributor planted the seed of the accuphase Pre/ power in my mind and asked if this is something that I could consider if I was given a 'special price' or 'loyalty bonus'!!!

Long story short I got the spanking boxed pre/power to try and it was a completely different sound. Compared to the integrated U could actually call it lean!!!! In about a day of listening to this pair and doing an A/B with the E 450 I knew exactly what I wanted. Tremendous drive for a ' 90' watt amp!!! It is simply more than what I could expect and the Preamp is versatile too. You can actually shape the sound to suit your room which is a bonus with certain recordings and in moderate rooms.

Later I spoke to Accuphase and was given to understand that the way forward for them is less sugar, less syrup and drifting more towards a NEUTRAL sounding less coloured amplifier. The newer cdp 510 also drifts in this direction and the most dramatic improvement is the new E 460 which is the new class A/B flagship integrated (replaces the 450). Back to mosfets in integrateds for accuphase. I cannot think of a better integrated that does almost everything at this price point (About 4L)

So Finally my uncle took a small hit on the 450 and replaced it with the 460 and I coughed up some money and took the Pre /power.

You are more than welcome when U come to Bbay. The speaker has now fully broken in and so have all the electronics. The sound is different and to my ears much better.

Rgds

Last edited:
Thanks for that Ali.

Dinyaar,
What a lovely write-up and great unfolding of events, and you were complaining about yourself some time ago (in your more active days in the forum) that you could not write a long post.

I can't really wait to hear this set-up. My 2 PhD students are now in Bombay attending some School at TIFR. How I wish I was there too so that I could have paid a visit.

You have not written about how you came to the choice of the source. I am interested to learn about that too.

I suppose a detailed discussion on your set-up may be outside the scope of this 'showcase' thread. You perhaps could request one of the mods to shift your post to open a new thread (of course it is up to you).

You have written one thing in your post that I really liked very much. You said you find the sound to be more natural. I think I know exactly what you mean, and one knows it when one finds it more natural.

Regards.

Hi Asit

Ya I sometimes struggle to write longish posts!!!!!
Asit it was very very difficult to look beyond the Accuphase CDPs. Once u start using these machines (Amp, cdp or whatever) from Accuphase u kind of get used to that silken operation. Plus the fact that I have lusted over this brand from the time I was a teen. Also having 3 components from the brand was the ideal scenario for me BEFORE I actually heard a few cdps in my current chain.

I had in fact ordered the DP 510 after I spoke to the Co. U could say it was ALMOST a blind buy. I had heard the DP 400 / DP 500 in my home and heard the DP 700 abroad. The 510 is an improvement on the 500 and will soon replace the 500. Since the shipment was delayed I had an extensive listen of the Accuphase in my home (almost a month) and I started feeling that I definately needed a cd machine that was a more NEUTRAL presentation. I requested to hear the lean Cyrus, the mean Simaudio and the accurate Esoteric in my set up and I knew I was on the right track.

None of the above can match the Accuphase for fit / finish / build (yes even the ESOTERIC) but finally the balance was better with a NON ACCUPHASE cdp.
The Downside was that Accuphase has pin 3 as HOT and most other components are now pin 2 HOT. So I would never be able to buy PRE TEMINATED balanced ICS rather will always have to specially order OR make my own. Secondly its a cosmetic mismatch. The big plus was that I will get a competent SACD player at less than the cost of the 510 that is only CD. That was a concern too as I have in the past few years acquired over 50/60 classical SACDs at fair prices.

Asit to me the Esoteric sounded better, more neutral in my audio rig. So it was simply a 'sound selection':D Amongst the two Esoterics I preferred the X05 to the SA 50 but I will understand if some guys will be perplexed at this choice. To me having all those 'extras" was pointless as I was hardly ever going to use them. The Yamaha cd machine is currently with my uncle as I got real low offers when I considered selling it. I did not want to s ell a perfectly working 1 year old SACD machine for 25 / 30 K and thought better to just keep it in the family for what its worth! There it competes with a Marantz KI cdp (cant recall model) and they switch the cdps in both their rigs.

Ali, U are most welcome to come with your fancy camera and do a better job!!!! I prefer to use this basic aim & shoot! BTW am using your brass spikes under my speakers and your small SS discs under the equipment.

Rgds

Last edited:
Dinyaar, congrats on the new aacquisitions! And thank you for writing in detail about the selection process. I am definitely planning a trip to mumbai!

Dinyaar, congrats on the new aacquisitions! And thank you for writing in detail about the selection process. I am definitely planning a trip to mumbai!

Me too ... me too.
Which part of town do you put up? Hope it is near around Khar, else, it is an additional day's stay... :mad:

Thanks again guys.
Anyone & everyone is welcome.
I live at Napeansea Road in South Mumbai so thats a 40 minute drive from Bandra / Khar on Normal days. Sundays / holidays is much faster.

Given the way Mumbai has exploded I guess Khar is not considered a suburb anymore!
Rgds

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back