stereo setup under 50000

if you can up your budget a bit, the acoustic portrait swara amp is really good. punches much above its weight. you can pair with the wharfedale 220 speakers

+1 on the Swara amp. It is my only purchased item that is not second hand. Definitely a wonderful amp.

Bang on the point. Glad you are aware of the effect room acoustics have on the listening experience. No matter what amp speakers you get ,if they are not positioned accordingly, Its a complete waste of money. Room boom is a nightmare everyone has to deal with when it comes to get quality audio.
You might want to post a picture of the room where you intend to place the speakers, That will help to get some inputs from other forum users as I am sure everyone has had these problems at some point.
Also depends on what source , music you listen to will help.Good luck.

I anticipate two major area of concern - 1) There will be only some 6-8 inches gap between the wall and the rear surface of the speakers. 2) the right speaker will be in a corner, so the gap between the right speaker and the side wall is also going to be less than 8 inch.

So, a pair of speaker which is not so fussy about near by walls will be great.

Last edited:
Wattage is a very misunderstood term.

Lets take one combo out of your list. The Marantz 5004 paired with Warfdale diamond 220. The marantz is capable of 35W at 8 ohms and Warfdale recomends 25-100W amplifier. Now looking at those numbers you would think that the amp will just be able to drive the speakers but thats not true. From pesonal experience(I own the exact pair) i have never went past 50% volume on the amp, beyond that point it gets uncomfertably loud. Also mathematically - for the same setup at 10W power you gain 10dB, so that is about 96dB(86dB efficiency for these speakers). Now there are a lot of other things going on here but assuming you place the speakers close to a wall and sit somewhere between 8-10 feet from the speakers, you are still looking at around 92-94 dB of sound pressure. To put that in to perspective that is slightly less than the sound levels in night clubs/Discos. I am a noob as well so don't quote me at all this but stop worrying about power and get yourself the combo you like. :D

Also please let us know what kind of music you like to listen to - that way people can suggest or rule out certain combos/speakers from all the things out there. :D

Hope it helps.

The information on wattage was very re-assuring :) . My taste in music is quite varied. But it is majorly 70s/80s/90s rock/pop (floyd, beatles, simon gurfunkel, u2, led zepp etc.). But I do listen to some metal (iron maiden, opeth), old hindi movie songs and some vocal heavy bengali songs also. I never listen to trance, EDM, electronica etc.

I normally would expect to use to for occasional movies. But it is not my priority.

Last edited:
The information on wattage was very re-assuring :) . My taste in music is quite varied. But it is majorly 70s/80s/90s rock/pop (floyd, beatles, simon gurfunkel, u2, led zepp etc.). But I do listen to some metal (iron maiden, opeth), old hindi movie songs and some vocal heavy bengali songs also. I never listen to trance, EDM, electronica etc.

I normally would expect to use to for occasional movies. But it is not my priority.
Glad to be of help.

For most of the stuff mentioned the warfdale Diamond 220 are a great pair. But for metal I found them lacking. But then they are bottom ported so they are not very fussy about being placed close to a wall. Am I going in circles, I guess I am going in circles. [emoji16]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Finally called up few places in Noida and Delhi. So, far I have found out places to audition wharfedale, q acoustics, dali. The only other two I want to audition are PSB Alpha B1 and Mission LX2.

Any idea where I can audition Mission and PSB in and around delhi?

My target is to first find out all the places to audition and arrange audition at all the places within the same week. This way it will be easier to compare the sound in my head.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back