Whats happening in Hifi?? Dont buy avr now....read on!

A four-year lurker here, and a three and some owner of a Denon.
1. I think the biggest problem between when I came on over here in 2020-21, and now, is the quality of amps.
2. I think i have an hdmi problem in my cable also, and a high voltage problem in my house, by way of full disclosure.
3. All said, I truly believe companies are skimping on amps, especially in new-age AVRs.

Like, how many of us have even heard the D4800, like OP says he has?
From what i have seen on this forum, there'll be some mid-two-digits who own the 4800...
Why so quick to diss?

Going for separate Amp over AVR is not going to solve the problem at least in entry/mid level models which don't have option for disabling the internal amps. What happens is, on higher volume, the amps are still driven and they put the side effects on the preout as well. Basically, the preout wont be clean and they degrade with increase in volume. In lower volume, it should be fine. So, AVR processor or higher end AVR would be needed. I used to think that Oppo bluray players were expensive. Fast forward, we don't AV Processors in that range which can give such clean output. Even without room correction, which you would need mostly for the first 500hz, you do have options like minidsp for the subs. I upgraded to a Denon from Pioneer elite avr as well when i wanted atmos. I can clearly understand OP's frustration.

Going for separate Amp over AVR is not going to solve the problem at least in entry/mid level models which don't have option for disabling the internal amps. What happens is, on higher volume, the amps are still driven and they put the side effects on the preout as well.
I'm not sure how you are helping the FM member with your response.

This part of what you've written is baseless. A Pre Out is just a pre out. It has not connection whatsoever to the internal amps. Driven or not driven, they don't come in the way. Even Stereo amplifiers have pre outs and you can't disable the Amplifier (On most amps) section when you use the pre puts.

There are cost and practical limitations to using a Pre Power set up. Thats the reason most of us opt for an all in one unit. Its a convenient one box solution that does more than just amplifying the signal input.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back