All That Jazz ...

He's one of my favourites.

From Lester Perkins of Jazz on the Tube, I quote:

We are correcting a long overdue error...
Giving Benny Carter his due.
We do celebrate this birthday every year, but
the truth is he deserves a full week to himself.
(Many musicians do, but there are only
52 weeks in the year!)
For whatever reason - modesty, the wide
variety of things he was involved in (film
and television), lack of personal "drama",
there are many jazz fans don't even know who
Benny Carter was.
Bottom line: 1) He was one of the most
important arrangers in jazz history,
2) he was the first person to break the
"race" barrier in big band music,
and 3) he played the alto like Charlie Parker,
a decade before Charlie Parker.
He also managed a long life and a
very long performing career (playing
into his 80s.)
Everyone knows about "Duke" Ellington,
and "Count" Basie (and for good reason).

Here's a documentary about the man
who was deservedly called "King Carter."

Video:
https://jazzonthetube.com/video/the-king-of-jazz-yes-there-really-was-one/

Unquote

He's one of my favourites.

From Lester Perkins of Jazz on the Tube, I quote:

We are correcting a long overdue error...
Giving Benny Carter his due.
We do celebrate this birthday every year, but
the truth is he deserves a full week to himself.
(Many musicians do, but there are only
52 weeks in the year!)
For whatever reason - modesty, the wide
variety of things he was involved in (film
and television), lack of personal "drama",
there are many jazz fans don't even know who
Benny Carter was.
Bottom line: 1) He was one of the most
important arrangers in jazz history,
2) he was the first person to break the
"race" barrier in big band music,
and 3) he played the alto like Charlie Parker,
a decade before Charlie Parker.
He also managed a long life and a
very long performing career (playing
into his 80s.)
Everyone knows about "Duke" Ellington,
and "Count" Basie (and for good reason).

Here's a documentary about the man
who was deservedly called "King Carter."

Video:
https://jazzonthetube.com/video/the-king-of-jazz-yes-there-really-was-one/

Unquote
Yes Kishore, I know he is one of the greats but am guilty of overlooking a lot of his musical output in favour of the other Big Dogs or should i say Jazz Cats, some of whose names, you mentioned . Was good watching the film you put a link to. Thanks.

Can there be a better Saturday night youtube watch than this?
Thanks for the link @himadri . This is such an amazing video, so well videographed too. I have the CD but viewing it on the video is truly exhilarating. Saturday night, Sunday morning, anytime!
I've read many explanations for Keith Jarretts' moaning including some about funny goings on under the piano ;) but it's no joke that he's simply an awesome artist. Thanks again

Was listening to Bud Powell and heard this fabulous double bass accompanying the piano. Looked up and found this name George Duvivier. I have been keen about jazz for close to four decades now, yet every now and then I come across some awesome artist whose name or work I had not heard before. Some were overshadowed by their more popular peers, some only played as sidemen, some had careers that didn't last long enough to be recognised. Amazing talent, but they didn't make it to the top ranks.
Hear Duvivier on this track, but don't miss Dizzy's cheeks, Getz as good as ever (I thought bebop wasn't his strength, but here he's second to none!), and this guy Arnie Lawrence putting his soul into the Alto sax (btw Arnie is another relatively obscure artist. Do read up on him, he's played with the legends, later joined Blood, Sweat and Tears, taught jazz to such big names as Roy Hargrove). This journey never ends, that's the magic of jazz.
Listen...

Blue Note’s Rare Groove series really lives up to its name, with some hidden gems in the lineup. Below are a few of my favourites.
Most of the albums feature organ prominently, hence the classic chugging ‘groove’. Easy Walker and Down With It are the exceptions, but are no less ‘grooving’.

View attachment 80062
View attachment 80063
Any friend of Jimmy Smith is a friend of mine 😃

Thanks for the link @himadri . This is such an amazing video, so well videographed too. I have the CD but viewing it on the video is truly exhilarating. Saturday night, Sunday morning, anytime!
I've read many explanations for Keith Jarretts' moaning including some about funny goings on under the piano ;) but it's no joke that he's simply an awesome artist. Thanks again
The funny goings on under the piano would be all too telling in a live concert wouldn't it ? 😜

Some were overshadowed by their more popular peers, some only played as sidemen, some had careers that didn't last long enough to be recognised. Amazing talent, but they didn't make it to the top ranks.
Bobby Timmons comes to mind instantly. Was definitely overshadowed by the big names of Art Blakey and Cannonball Adderley. I wish he had received more of the limelight than he did. But then again his fans love his music passionately and yours truly is one of them.

Bobby Timmons comes to mind instantly. Was definitely overshadowed by the big names of Art Blakey and Cannonball Adderley. I wish he had received more of the limelight than he did. But then again his fans love his music passionately and yours truly is one of them.

Yes, Bobby Timmons, so lyrical. A bit like Wynton Kelly. Probably another victim of Art Blakey's 'get them hooked' initiative :)

I've shared this album on here before but this is IMO a superb "modern" jazz album that is right up there with some of the best in the genre.

71fTMzpPiyL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back