All That Jazz ...

Two great records featuring the harp:

The Rubáiyát of Dorothy Ashby (1970) sees Dorothy on the harp and Japanese koto. Brilliant mix of jazz and soul with some ethereal vocals and spoken word sections.

Nala Sinephro's Space 1.8 (2021) is the Belgian harpist's debut album on the iconic Warp Records label. Great fusion of jazz with electronic / ambient music.

ot7npoh1zyc81.jpg

Nala Sinephro's Space 1.8 (2021) is the Belgian harpist's debut album on the iconic Warp Records label. Great fusion of jazz with electronic / ambient music.
Space 1.8 is currently sitting in my Amazon wishlist.
One of my favourite saxophonists, Nubya Garcia, is also on the album. From what I’ve heard in Apple Music, sounds like she’s on Space 6.

815GmZlz+vL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Just started watching “Zero Gravity“ the documentary on Wayne Shorter streaming on Amazon Prime.
Fascinating to learn of this genius who grooved to his unique rhythm and melody growing and developing in turbulent times.

There's so much pain and anger expressed in the first video

I must confess, I was guilty of this thinking myself. Until, that is, I picked up the ‘Heavyweight Champion’ box set that covered his Atlantic recordings.
Below is an excerpt from the accompanying booklet; a quote from his good friend Jimmy Heath:

IMG_0312.jpeg

I must confess, I was guilty of this thinking myself. Until, that is, I picked up the ‘Heavyweight Champion’ box set that covered his Atlantic recordings.
Below is an excerpt from the accompanying booklet; a quote from his good friend Jimmy Heath:

View attachment 81077
That's a significant observation @coaltrain . The video is a live recording from August 1965 by which time John was well past the troubled period in his life. By then he had declared that 90 percent of his music would be prayer. I guess prayer takes many forms!

Ganesh Rajagopalan's superb interpretation of the melodic 'lotus feet" made me revisit the various other versions of the song after so many years.
I came across these 2 , which are remarkable.
Has anyone bought 'This Moment' on vinyl? Wonder how good the pressing is

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back