All That Jazz ...

910gZlt8+cL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

This has to be one of the best box sets in my collection. The material here consists of Pharoah Sanders' first album after leaving Impulse for the underrated India Navigation label and includes live recordings from the same period. Recorded with a completely new group of sidemen under less-than-ideal circumstances, Pharoah himself seemed to detest the making of this recording. Harvest Time is the standout track here but the entire album is just beautiful spiritual/ambient jazz. The booklet, photos, sheet music, concert poster, replicas of ticket stubs and newspaper articles make this a worthwhile investment for those curious about this lesser-known period of the great tenor saxophonist.

IMG_20240817_100823_494.jpg
IMG_20240817_100056_472.jpg

Last edited:
A gem of an album that doesn't get mentioned as often as it deserves. Just love the atmosphere that Miles manages to create, and I have not even seen the movie.
Recorded in the studios of the Paris broadcasting station, in an informal setting and a make-shift bar for the small group of artistes and crew. They say that during the recording, a bit of skin from Miles's lip came loose and got stuck in the mouthpiece, resulting in a strange new trumpet tone on 'Diner au motel' :)

A gem of an album that doesn't get mentioned as often as it deserves. Just love the atmosphere that Miles manages to create, and I have not even seen the movie.
Recorded in the studios of the Paris broadcasting station, in an informal setting and a make-shift bar for the small group of artistes and crew. They say that during the recording, a bit of skin from Miles's lip came loose and got stuck in the mouthpiece, resulting in a strange new trumpet tone on 'Diner au motel' :)

I recommend the movie, it's a great watch!

'Generique' makes the hair stand on edge!
It's fascinating how popular this particular composition has become in the Miles catalogue, even though the OST isn't one of his most well-known recordings. I heard it used in the Korean film Burning to great effect. It also plays on a radio station in one of the biggest video games today, Cyberpunk 2077.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back