DENON Owners thread

I am not saying the pre-power route is cheap. It definitely can be had on a budget. The trick according to me is to compromise on certain codecs. For example everyone wants Atmos and DTS-X now. A slight compromise might net us a good used pro. The question is how many movies and other content is on Atmos ? Counted few. So the question arises should we premium prices for a few Atmos based content? The rest are any way going to be DTS-HD-MA or Stereo or DD or DTS flaours for most folk. Just an idea that's all Sid.
Even the ones the atmos title cant really tell wether the sound is from height channels...atmos (height channels) is a scam. We have ears place in a single plane and everything else is a pre concieved notion of where the sound is coming from...

Agree. However remember that there is always a new girl in the market. Processor is something that gets obsolete very fast. Today it's atmos tomorrow it's BTMOS ! :) Then upgrades become expensive.
There used to be a time when PC gets a sound card with 5.1 then when 7.1 came i had to only swapp the sound card. This avr is killing itself ...better this is back!

What kind of a power amplifier do I use for this though?
I prefer crown xls 1502. I own anthem too, but being 10 times more expensive than crown i dont see any improvement at all using anthem..crown is super good. I can accomodate a back to back comparison at my home (anthem and crown) if wanted!

One more question - I am running only 5 channels with the 3700h. If I use the pre-out for the rear channels with an external stereo amplifier, will it help the longevity of the receiver, as now only 3 channels will be powered by the internal amps? The amplifier section of the receiver will be loaded less in this scenario.
Cheers,
Sid
Ok guys, I did an experiment - I connected the pre-out of the rear channels (I only have a 5.1 setup) to my O&B power amp. Then I tried with eco mode on and off. With eco mode off the receiver heated up as much as before - even with the power amp. for rear channels. However once the eco. was turned onto on - the receiver is much cooler now, just watched twisters with a ton of surround effects and unit is just warm to touch. Not sure about the sound quality yet - I thought I preferred the non eco mode/but can't really tell, however there is something going on with all the eco mode stuff - that 1) either is screwing up the longevity of the receivers or 2) reducing power output. I just wish we can all go back to the days where everything was plain and simple - no power restriction etc. There needs to be more clarity on this so called eco mode by the mfrs. (unless it is one of those planned obsolescence things).
Cheers,
Sid

With eco on, internal amplification will be reduced almost half. If you are not using any of the internal amp then it's fine otherwise you can set auto or off.
With auto I had a lot of heat issues where the top of the amp - was too hot to touch after 1 hour. This is in a room with ac - temp set at 26 deg. C. And after 3 years of limited use (300-400 hrs at most) - power board failed (I think the 5v as @mbhangui referred to). Anyways it is what it is - before I never paid any attention (my previous Marantz bought in 2013/14 cost 60k) - now since any replacement is going to cost 1.5 lac - 2 lac, I am paying more attention to these cheaply made devices as to how to make them last longer. In 2 channel world - 1.5 lac to 2 lac - will get you a robust device that will last 5-7 years or more.
A lot more discussion here:
Cheers,
Sid

With auto I had a lot of heat issues where the top of the amp - was too hot to touch after 1 hour. This is in a room with ac - temp set at 26 deg. C. And after 3 years of limited use (300-400 hrs at most) - power board failed (I think the 5v as @mbhangui referred to). Anyways it is what it is - before I never paid any attention (my previous Marantz bought in 2013/14 cost 60k) - now since any replacement is going to cost 1.5 lac - 2 lac, I am paying more attention to these cheaply made devices as to how to make them last longer. In 2 channel world - 1.5 lac to 2 lac - will get you a robust device that will last 5-7 years or more.
A lot more discussion here:
Cheers,
Sid
In 4800 switched all internal amp off with external amp connected the unit was still getting hot!!

Eco off or i dont know. need to check!
Please check, if on it should be much cooler. Mine is, even with just 2 channels pre out, with 3 pwr. channels of the rcvr. working. Before with eco off in this configuration it was still getting very hot.
Cheers,
Sid

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back