DENON Owners thread

Are the current AVR s less robust than AVR s manufactured 20 years ago? I have a distinct impression that electronics used to last longer and was built stronger , earlier? Or am I mistaken
100%, I had a marantz receiver (bought in 2014/2015) before the denon 3700. That lasted 6 years and was still going strong when I sold it. Currently I am using a denon 2310ci, bought in 2010 (and kept as spare), using it currently while the 3700 is out for repair. Not only are the current ones less robust electronically, there is a lot of cost cutting so much so that they are physically very flimsy and cheaply made. I would continue using older ones if I could, but with audio/video standards evolving every couple of years, the old ones are obsolete.
Cheers,
Sid

100%, I had a marantz receiver (bought in 2014/2015) before the denon 3700. That lasted 6 years and was still going strong when I sold it. Currently I am using a denon 2310ci, bought in 2010 (and kept as spare), using it currently while the 3700 is out for repair. Not only are the current ones less robust electronically, there is a lot of cost cutting so much so that they are physically very flimsy and cheaply made. I would continue using older ones if I could, but with audio/video standards evolving every couple of years, the old ones are obsolete.
Cheers,
Sid
Apologies since this is a Denon thread but since the query relates to the robustness of the earlier made gears, I earlier had Marantz SR 8200 bought in 2006 and now the SR 7011 purchased in 2018. The difference in build quality was very evident with the 8200 being much more robust. The selector/volume knobs and the buttons were solid plus the remote was very premium.
Thankfully 7011 still works minus 1 dysfunctional Hdmi display port and the bdp sound comes from the speakers only when the TV is switched on.

I think in general the quality of current mass market AVR's has deteriorated. Obviously there will be specific examples where some are fine and some have failed. Regardless I am done with buying higher end units from mass market companies. Prefer to go the use and throw route now. That is what is being encouraged by the manufacturers also.
Cheers,
SId

Thanks Spiro - even the standby light does not come on. Receiver is completely dead. I suspect power board or some other fuse in the power supply that I cannot access. Will be giving to my dealer service tomorrow, hopefully they can fix it. I have mostly decided on a 2800h if they cannot fix. My plan is it will last 3 years hopefully, and then I can upgrade again to whatever is available at that point.
Cheers,
Sid
The way these avr's work is like this. They have two power supplies.

One is the massive one which uses the transformer. This is the inefficient power supply, but this is the workhorse. This powers all the amps inside your avr. Keeping this on always even when not playing music will waste electricity. So to avoid this and to adhere to Euro norms, manufacturers came up with the idea of a second power supply that is efficient and can switch on the main supply at the click of a button.

So we have a second power supply - an efficient SMPS which powers all your digital boards. Since SMPS are efficient this is used as as the standby power supply which powers the remote control circuit that gets operated through your remote. In standby mode your AVR will consume very very little power because the main transformer based supply is off. When you press the power button on remote or on the front unit, this standby supply switches on the relay to turn on the transformer based supply. SMPS based supplies are not as rugged as the heavy duty transformer based supply as there are so many components that go into building the SMPS. In contrast the heavy duty transformer based supply has the transformer, diodes for rectification and few capacitor to act as reservoirs of electric charge.

IME experince most SMPS give away mostly because of the controller IC or a small capacitor. You can do a visual examination of components on this board. This is the board to which the power supply cable connects to. This will the board just in front of the power supply cable. Also in most cases I see this board fitted vertically inside the chasis, while all other boards are placed horizontally.

If your standby led is not turning on it means the cheap SMPS supply is not powering on. Mostly likely it is the IC. It is usually some TOP254, TOP258, etc in Yamaha, Denon and Marantz. Cost of the IC is less han 100 bucks. If you give it to authorized service center, they will replace the entire board which will cost north of Rs 20k

Last edited:
The way these avr's work is like this. They have two power supplies.

One is the massive one which uses the transformer. This is the inefficient power supply, but this is the workhorse. This powers all the amps inside your avr. Keeping this on always even when not playing music will waste electricity. So to avoid this and to adhere to Euro norms, manufacturers came up with the idea of a second power supply that is efficient and can switch on the main supply at the click of a button.

So we have a second power supply - an efficient SMPS which powers all your digital boards. Since SMPS are efficient this is used as as the standby power supply which powers the remote control circuit that gets operated through your remote. In standby mode your AVR will consume very very little power because the main transformer based supply is off. When you press the power button on remote or on the front unit, this standby supply switches on the relay to turn on the transformer based supply. SMPS based supplies are not as rugged as the heavy duty transformer based supply as there are so many components that go into building the SMPS. In contrast the heavy duty transformer based supply has the transformer, diodes for rectification and few capacitor to act as reservoirs of electric charge.

IME experince most SMPS give away mostly because of the controller IC or a small capacitor. You can do a visual examination of components on this board. This is the board to which the power supply cable connects to. This will the board just in front of the power supply cable. Also in most cases I see this board fitted vertically inside the chasis, while all other boards are placed horizontally.

If your standby led is not turning on it means the cheap SMPS supply is not powering on. Mostly likely it is the IC. It is usually some TOP254, TOP258, etc in Yamaha, Denon and Marantz. Cost of the IC is less han 100 bucks. If you give it to authorized service center, they will replace the entire board which will cost north of Rs 20k
Thanks @mbhangui,
Will definitely check it out. Can we get board repaired without replacing? I know this dealer very well, having given him a lot of business over the years and he usually has his technician call me before doing any repairs. I will mention this to them as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks @mbhangui,
Will definitely check it out. Can we get board repaired without replacing? I know this dealer very well, having given him a lot of business over the years and he usually has his technician call me before doing any repairs. I will mention this to them as well.
Cheers,
Sid
Yes, the board can be repaired but many don't do component level repair as it hurts business and also takes more time than simply replacing the board. But since you know the dealer very well, he should be able to get the board repaired at much less cost. I repaired my Yamaha myself. There is another user in our forum who repaired his Marantz by replacing the IC.

EDIT: I happen to know another user in our forum (from Pakistan) who had the same problem. He gave his AVR to a repairer who fixed it innovatively. He fitted a phone charger inside the AVR to replace the 5v output which these standby SMPS supplies. Yes. These SMPS inside AVR are nothing but a cell phone charger of better quaility.

Help Needed with Overheating Issue!

I own a 2700H, which used to be in an air-conditioned room with no obstructions on top. Recently, I moved it to another room without AC and placed it inside an enclosure with an open front. It's now overheating significantly, reaching temperatures possibly exceeding 55°C on the top within just 10 minutes of operation. What could be causing this issue? Can someone please help?

I've tried using a laptop cooling fan from Amazon Basics, which has helped to some extent. Could the problem be related to wiring? I've never experienced such high temperatures before. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I own a 2700H, which used to be in an air-conditioned room with no obstructions on top. Recently, I moved it to another room without AC and placed it inside an enclosure with an open front. It's now overheating significantly, reaching temperatures possibly exceeding 55°C on the top within just 10 minutes of operation. What could be causing this issue? Can someone please help?

I've tried using a laptop cooling fan from Amazon Basics, which has helped to some extent. Could the problem be related to wiring? I've never experienced such high temperatures before. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Avr over heats without ventilation and it’s normal. My 4500 even in open heats up like crazy for just 5-10 minutes of usage. I got ac infinity usb fans and it does an exceptional job. I now also have the avr with no ventilation on top as shown in image

Attachments

• IMG_2607.jpeg
    IMG_2607.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 23
Avr over heats without ventilation and it’s normal. My 4500 even in open heats up like crazy for just 5-10 minutes of usage. I got ac infinity usb fans and it does an exceptional job. I now also have the avr with no ventilation on top as shown in image
Thank bro! After using cooling pad(as exhaust(on keeping the cooling pad over AVR air comes out)), heating is reduced at most of the places but at one place it is slightly more() may be 40 oC. Shall I leave it or do I have to do something more?

Thank bro! After using cooling pad(as exhaust(on keeping the cooling pad over AVR air comes out)), heating is reduced at most of the places but at one place it is slightly more() may be 40 oC. Shall I leave it or do I have to do something more?
If there is no ventilation on that particular area it’s better you get ac infinity usb fans and place it. If you can source it from us when any of ur relatives or friends are travelling it’s very cheap. Buying from Amazon is little expensive but it’s worth it. I got a pair from Amazon India at almost thrice the original cost.

This works great, picked it up from Amazon india
using it since feb 2022 on a Denon x3600H

This works great, picked it up from Amazon india
using it since feb 2022 on a Denon x3600H
Not related to denon, but a quick question. What acoustic pads are you using for your centre speaker? Also are the only for the height increase or they enhance the audio quality? I have to buy one for my centre speaker to elevate and tilt a little, so lookimg for good options.
Thanks in advance.

Not related to denon, but a quick question. What acoustic pads are you using for your centre speaker? Also are the only for the height increase or they enhance the audio quality? I have to buy one for my centre speaker to elevate and tilt a little, so lookimg for good options.
Thanks in advance.
I am using it for adjusting height and angles. They also act as an isolation pad

Yes, the board can be repaired but many don't do component level repair as it hurts business and also takes more time than simply replacing the board. But since you know the dealer very well, he should be able to get the board repaired at much less cost. I repaired my Yamaha myself. There is another user in our forum who repaired his Marantz by replacing the IC.

EDIT: I happen to know another user in our forum (from Pakistan) who had the same problem. He gave his AVR to a repairer who fixed it innovatively. He fitted a phone charger inside the AVR to replace the 5v output which these standby SMPS supplies. Yes. These SMPS inside AVR are nothing but a cell phone charger of better quaility.
The unit was repaired - 3500 - works well now.
Enjoying it.
Cheers,
Sid

I think in general the quality of current mass market AVR's has deteriorated. Obviously there will be specific examples where some are fine and some have failed. Regardless I am done with buying higher end units from mass market companies. Prefer to go the use and throw route now. That is what is being encouraged by the manufacturers also.
Cheers,
SId
Planning to get a X580bt as a back up unit, if my 3700h fails again.
Cheers,
Sid

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back