Kuartlotron Error Correcting Super Buffer

One doubt here.. what does it mean by taking out all the damping?

My speakers were resting on brass cones, which rested on a quarter inch thick plywood, which in turn rested on a layer of foam. Both ply wood and foam layer were removed.

I would not say one method is more right than the other. By experimenting, one can determine which one sounds more right in one's room. For example, if you're in need of bass quantity, foam helps, but the bass texture isn't necessarily going to be well defined. Having a hard coupling like brass cones or steel spike or ball bearing ball between speaker and floor or stand tightens up the bass but at the cost of weight. Similarly, putting weight on top of the speaker can change the nature of bass. Even the exact spot of placement of the weight (like a sand bag weighing as little as 2 to 3 kilos) will have subtle impact on the sound. For example I found that placing the weight near the front baffle had the maximum impact, compared to placing it somewhere at the center of the top baffle, or elsewhere. And the frustrating part is that with every change in gear or components, the sound changes, sometimes subtly, and sometimes rather drastically, which may or may not be to one's liking. More tuning is often required. I know all this faffing leaves less time for actual music but without trying we won't know what our setup is truly capable of. I believe most systems are capable of higher performance by following basic speaker placement rules (and breaking them rules when needed) and playing around with basic tweaks and tunes.

Following Josh's recommendations to change the volume pot to a 10k version, the parts I ordered from DIYAudioCart came in yesterday.
Got the pot changed today and have just placed the K Buffer into my setup.

Have been listening for the past hour or so and it looks like the change in volume pot works. I took the volume past the 1:30 position (6:00 being zero) and the volume climbed steadily with the turn of the volume knob. The difference being that the change in volume is more gradual than with the 47K pot earlier. I might just try a 25K pot as well and see how that works. Thanks again to Josh for the pointers.

I want to make a special mention for Bibin/Bijin's DIYAudioCart.com.
Their website is just flawless and the user experience was excellent.
Email confirmation of shipping with tracking info was furnished.
Parts were delivered as promised.

Some pictures of the updated build. Thanks for looking!

10k log Alpha Pot
10K%20Alps%20Pot.jpg

K Buffer with the 10k Pot installed with the CITEC 47k pot from Sachin in front
K%20Buffer%20with%2010K%20Alps%20Pot.jpg

Completed K Buffer with new Feet installed
K%20Buffer%20Complete.jpg

Some shiny new feet for my K Buffer from DIYAudioCart
DAC%20Feet.jpg

Last edited:
Just want to add that the Alpha 10k pot was only to get an idea of how the change in impedance would affect volume control.
The sound however is not up to the mark. The Alpha 10K pot has thinned out the bass and has given the mids and treble a tinny sound.
The 47K CITEC was better in that respect.

I plan to explore a better quality vol pot from the sound quality perspective.
Can DIY experts weigh in on this?
Would moving to a better quality volume pot improve on this?
Or does moving to 25K pot add more bass to the sound?

Open to suggestions ...

Last edited:
I plan to explore a better quality vol pot from the sound quality perspective.
Can DIY experts weigh in on this?
Would moving to a better quality volume pot improve on this?
Or does moving to 25K pot add more bass to the sound?
It is evident that the potentiometer is attunuating the lower frequencies and accentuating the high frequencies.

I'm sure you would have a budget for DACT stepped attenuator. Experts can chip in.

Volume pot acts as shunt resistance with combination of coupling capacitor in source and effective interconnect. Output capacitance in sources ranges from 4.7uF to 10uF. Hence it create high pass filter, weighing HF more against LF.

I found 20K to 25K best works with all sources. I am personally using 20K stepped ladder with SMD 1% metal film resistance. Its no fancy just Bay HK material. But I am looking out for better 25K.

Btw calculator shows cutoff frequency below 10Hz. Take it with pinch of salt.

Last edited:
It is evident that the potentiometer is attunuating the lower frequencies and accentuating the high frequencies.

I'm sure you would have a budget for DACT stepped attenuator. Experts can chip in.

Hi Captain,

I already have DACT Volume Control and Source Selector on my current Pre.
However using a DACT on the K buffer would be too much.

Om, thanks for the explanation of the volume pot functioning.
I have a spare 25k pot which I will install tomorrow.

Regards.

Last edited:
Regarding the ideal pot value, I asked over at diyaudio, and this is the answer I got:

Quote:

10k fed from 100r (output impedance of my source) and feeding 100k (input impedance of my power amp) is good with many lengths of cable found in a domestic environment.

Using 50k vol pot will only work well with a very short/low capacitance connection the the next stage.

Unquote

Didn't get what you meant by too much. Could you elaborate?

I was commenting purely from the SQ standpoint.

DACT would be real nice.

I think what Nikhil meant was the cost of DACT pot would be disproportionate to the very low cost of this buffer kit.

Somewhat OT, but, don't most commercial pre-amp's get fitted with a 47K volume pot?

Not OT at all. It's very relevant here:thumbsup:

But I don't know enough to answer your query.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what Nikhil meant was the cost of DACT pot would be disproportionate to the very low cost of this buffer kit.

I guessed it too.The last sentence was an addendum. It is low cost because the designer(s) chose to share it for free. For a person like Nikhil who has got a very resolving setup, additional cost of DACT from the SQ standpoint should be trivial. (Strictly IMHO; YMMV)

Yes, most DIY designs are not inferior. But they are cheap because no or less commercial interest.
And here, we provided to our people so that they can experience it in lowest possible cost. Also internet is big audience. I know volume of messages I receive. :)

5b3dd886fee384ba73a15bec1619cca6.jpg
7c4695d5438b522f3b2fb2ac232a45a2.jpg

First half of my buffer+dac is ready

Thanks a lot to Raghu for building the buffer, even with his busy schedule.

Thanks to Ramesh(maniraj), omishra and sachin.

Observations:
Refined vocals, better sound stage after adding the buffer in the chain.
Earlier was using DAC and the power amp
Volume increment is not linear(volume increases at certain points ), currently using the 47k volume pot. Planning to try the 20k smt resistor step attenuator(hope that should solve the state)

Once again thanks to Raghu :)

Last edited:
Yes, most DIY designs are not inferior. But they are cheap because no or less commercial interest.
And here, we provided to our people so that they can experience it in lowest possible cost. Also internet is big audience. I know volume of messages I receive. :)
I've received the k-buffer+psu kit from sachin (designed by you [emoji4] )

I'd like to thank you and sachin both for the same.

Could you please suggest what wire should be used for internal wiring (copper or silver? Solid core or standard bunch type? What guage?) for best possible sq? I am planning to use it with my upcoming Pass F6.

Regarding wiring I prefer silver coated copper multi strand wire. Use it in twisted pairs. 0.5mm to 1mm is okay.
Also use cat6 cable wires internal pair, multistrand, and ofc 99.9%. But never liked solid core cables due intermittent breaking and difficulty in working with it.

In this forum (this thread), JLS001 has written exclusive information on internal wiring using shielded cable. That is most noisefree and silent solution.

Last edited:
Guys, has anyone else completed building their Kuart? It would be interesting to hear your impressions please.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back