Owners' Thread - Apple Iphone & Ipod

svenkateshsmart

Hi,

Just been doing some serious hunting for the good phones, which can be used for music, for emails (multiple email accounts), chatting and the one with a good UI. I have demo'ed various brands and some of which include Nokia E71, Blackberry Storm 2, HTC Touch Pro and a few other models, Nokia 5800, Nokia N800, Nokia N series, a few in samsung as well. I am kind of finalized on Apple 3g (not S) after getting a good deal.

I have experienced the Apple touch for 2 full days, I must say it is very soft on our hands and of course tends to be very slippery. If you have a slippy hands and a tendancy to drop things, you should first get a grip and hard cover available before thinking of buying one. Don't know if it is one of apple's business strategies! Also, looks like iphone needs a very good care, otherwise, it gives you lot of scratches and dead pixels.

There are a few cons with apple like battery replacement and missing of slight features that are available in a 2-3K phones out of the box, but seems everything can be taken care of apps. available in apple stores. Basically, iphone is half-dead without those apps.!

Also, I have been bothering a few members regarding my purchase of late and have realized that we have many Apple boys here and, believe me when I say, they dont quite like other phones and they are very happy with Apple and never accept if I say iphone does not have a feature! Say they can be fixed by "apps." Yes, it is!

Regarding the music, I think this has been discussed extensively in other threads, and even our boss, Venkatcr, has endorsed that ipod indeed rocks!

So, I welcome all the iphone and ipod owners to share:
1. The model and the version they are using.
2. Reason why they bought.
3. If you regret buying it for a higher price.
4. If your preferences have changed after buying it.
5. Pros.
6. Shortcomings they face.
7. Other hidden, unexplored, or unseen features that you would like to share!
8. .........................................

So, I am going to get one by next week, as my windows phone is at its terminal stage and that qualifies me to be a starter of this thread, till now excuse me!

Cheers!

I just got a ipod touch and love it. However its bitten by the "cannot connect to youtube" bug that is splashed all over the Internet. Still learning how to use it. The touch type software in it really very good - how it prompts for spelling corrections and how you position the cursor in between chars etc is outstanding. To me this well executed and implemented singular multi touch feature justifies buying this product over another one with more other "features".

HTH

Sorry venkatesh, I am unable to fill in the details you have asked in the format you have asked as I am posting from my phone (iPhone). Everything for an Iphone revolves around iTunes (well mostly). If you are comfortable with iTunes, nothing comes close to the iPhone. The way the touch has been implemented is just amazing. Like you have said, anything missing, the apps compensate for it bigtime.

how you position the cursor in between chars etc is outstanding
This is simply amazing. Gobble, connect to the apple store and download a few apps, you will love them. Related to audio, I have the SPL Meter, RTA Lite and Shazam are must have free apps.

I am a happy Iphone 3G 16Gb customer from last 1.5 year, earlier I was using Windows Mobile which is a piece of Crap in comparison with Iphone.
Pros:
Very Sleek and slick operation.
Sensitive and responsive touch screen.
Good support from apple via the apple store and itunes.
Free Remote software for controling your media library.
Great Pull Mail feature which save you a lot of money if a person is not comfortable with Blackberry, also blackberry doesn't let you use its GPRS on your Laptop or computer.
Video performance is outstanding out of the box.
Upgrade your stock headphone and wala you have the best PMP with you.
You can carry your music virtually anywhere and play it though your Car/Home/Office system. which gives it a lot of convience factor rather than carry two devices with your.
But there are also few major cons which makes it a bit too much of a burden sometimes
Cons:
The biggest is the Battery which doesn't even last 1 full day if you use your phone a lot. I have found a solution to this one by buying a separate Hard case with inbuilt battery: look here Shenzhen Hali-Power Industrial Co.,Ltd.
The blutooth in Iphone doesn't let you transfer anything between devices.
For all your needs you have to depend on itunes which if a user is not comfortable using, then gives you a lot of pain in the a**

Last edited:
I think everyone above me have pretty much nailed the benefits of Iphone. I've a 3GS for past 6 months and can say it's the best Phone I've ever owned. I'm sort of person who changes his phone ever 6 months, But this is going to last long for me only because I haven't seen anything convincing (Apart from HD2 & Desire) Also 3GS is a bit faster than 3G and the Voice control is a brilliant addition. As I've already told you Browsing is a breeze with Safari. Forget about support for Flash - Every single website out there is having a iPhone version including Dailymotion etc. Flash will never ever come to iPhone platform. Jailbreaking the phone opens up numerous possibilities, I haven't done it because I'm happy with stock OS.

To confuse you a bit I would recommend you to play around with HTC Desire, especially since it's cheaper than Iphone. Comes with HTC Sense UI & Android 2.1. I had a play with it yesterday briefly and I was impressed. It's as Slick as Iphone and definitely faster than Iphone - Thanks to it's 1 GHz processor. All the Apps available on Iphone are available on Android as well. The marketplace has 40K + apps and still going strong. The camera is 5 MP with Flash (Iphone - Shame one you) and clicks decent pictures. Tweaking possibilities within the phone are endless (Although rooting it will void your warranty - unlike Jailbreak where you can revert back to Factory state). I have found apps which allow to sync music & control music on PC etc. I'm seriously considering to switch over to Android but I'm just awaiting the Iphone 4G announcement which is not long time away. I know Apple will pull something out to surprise us all.

One thing I particularly hate about Apple is the closed eco system. Once you're tied you don't have an option to come out. In a way it's good - You get consistent UI everywhere you go.

Good Luck with your search. (Do let me know if you want to play around HD2 as well)

I think everyone above me have pretty much nailed the benefits of Iphone. I've a 3GS for past 6 months and can say it's the best Phone I've ever owned. I'm sort of person who changes his phone ever 6 months, But this is going to last long for me only because I haven't seen anything convincing (Apart from HD2 & Desire) Also 3GS is a bit faster than 3G and the Voice control is a brilliant addition. As I've already told you Browsing is a breeze with Safari. Forget about support for Flash - Every single website out there is having a iPhone version including Dailymotion etc. Flash will never ever come to iPhone platform. Jailbreaking the phone opens up numerous possibilities, I haven't done it because I'm happy with stock OS.

To confuse you a bit I would recommend you to play around with HTC Desire, especially since it's cheaper than Iphone. Comes with HTC Sense UI & Android 2.1. I had a play with it yesterday briefly and I was impressed. It's as Slick as Iphone and definitely faster than Iphone - Thanks to it's 1 GHz processor. All the Apps available on Iphone are available on Android as well. The marketplace has 40K + apps and still going strong. The camera is 5 MP with Flash (Iphone - Shame one you) and clicks decent pictures. Tweaking possibilities within the phone are endless (Although rooting it will void your warranty - unlike Jailbreak where you can revert back to Factory state). I have found apps which allow to sync music & control music on PC etc. I'm seriously considering to switch over to Android but I'm just awaiting the Iphone 4G announcement which is not long time away. I know Apple will pull something out to surprise us all.

One thing I particularly hate about Apple is the closed eco system. Once you're tied you don't have an option to come out. In a way it's good - You get consistent UI everywhere you go.

Good Luck with your search. (Do let me know if you want to play around HD2 as well)

Ouch! I see a major expense coming my way!! Hope it stays below 30K this desire ... :)

Regards

Hi,

Also, looks like iphone needs a very good care, otherwise, it gives you lot of scratches and dead pixels.

Also, I have been bothering a few members regarding my purchase of late and have realized that we have many Apple boys here and, believe me when I say, they dont quite like other phones and they are very happy with Apple and never accept if I say iphone does not have a feature! Say they can be fixed by "apps." Yes, it is!

Regarding the music, I think this has been discussed extensively in other threads, and even our boss, Venkatcr, has endorsed that ipod indeed rocks!

Cheers!

Did you mean Apple Fan boys :D

Missed couple of things as well - I've been abusing my iPhone very well and is still holding strong. Although I agree about it been delicate compared to the Nokia (Think the other name). A Hard case is a must and the dock connector is very delicate. I'm on my Second 3GS now due to a broken dock connector, But don't worry mine was replaced straight in 5 minutes. No questions asked etc - Brand new sealed phone. Customer care is brilliant and hence recommend you to pick up the Official one's there for peace of mind.

Sorry venkatesh, I am unable to fill in the details you have asked in the format you have asked as I am posting from my phone (iPhone)..

Santhosh - C'mon pre-order the iPad then. It has button to stop it rotating it's screen as well :D

Ouch! I see a major expense coming my way!! Hope it stays below 30K this desire ... :)

It's retailing around 350-370 GBP for Unlocked, Unbranded one which roughly equates to 25K which not bad for this sort of a phone.

For music, I did a quick comparison of iphone vs my laptop yesterday. I could have done blackberry vs iphone - but iphone needs itunes for any music to be transferred to it. Quite silly - as I could easily copy music from my laptop to blackberry (mass storage mode), but not to iphone.
So I heard whatever songs were available on that iphone. Aa bhi ja from Sur is what I could manage to listen on both - on iphone it must have been mp3, and on laptop, I listened to what was there on youtube. My laptop's sound was much nicer. I listened to the same song using my in-ears, but I reached the same conclusion. Will do more proper listening and post my opinions.

I am a very very happy 8GB ipod touch owner

bought in US for 300USD I guess in 2009 Jan
Running OS 3.0 JailBroken with more than 100 applications running............... mostly through CEDIA and are catagorized under folders...

More details will come shortly..................

Running OS 3.0 JailBroken with more than 100 applications running............... mostly through CEDIA and are catagorized under folders...

Hi,

I purchased Apple 3g iphone 8 gb today!!!! I cant afford for the 3gs as of now, so went for this option as it was a great deal which I could not say no to.

Down the road, I may upgrade to 3Gs! Special thanks to Teky and of course, Srini sir!

Cheers!

And i got the 32GB for $295 last week :)

Quite a price drop comparing capacity wise :)

Cheers

Hi,

I purchased Apple 3g iphone 8 gb today!!!! I cant afford for the 3gs as of now, so went for this option as it was a great deal which I could not say no to.

Down the road, I may upgrade to 3Gs! Special thanks to Teky and of course, Srini sir!

Cheers!

Congrats Venkatesh

It seems the non-spenders club had some terrible impact on you :p

Congrats Venkatesh

It seems the non-spenders club had some terrible impact on you :p

Hi Suresh,

Rules are made only to be broken:D

Hi Venkatesh,

Congrats on your purchase! As we have an ipod touch,i can say for sure no mp3 player can come close to it regarding the music. Congrats again.

cheers,
sri

OS 4.0 this Summer

Good news guys - Finally some features which were most sort after are being released in OS 4.0 for iPhone. Although 3GS is getting everything including multi-tasking, 3G is going to get some but not everything. Some key things from Steve's note

• Multitasking - Big win for me, Supports VOIP application like Skype and from the presentation switching between apps was a breeze.
  • Bluetooth keyboard support - Hmm, Nevermind
  • User-defined wallpaper - How many years to bring that :rolleyes:
  • 5x digital zoom for the camera and Tap to focus when recording video, just like with photos.
  • Playlist creation possible now.
  • Folders - To organise all your Apps and you could add them to your Dock as well
  • Unified mail - At last. Also allows you to sync more than one exchange account.
  • iBooks is coming to iPhone as well, Ability to sync wireless with other devices like Kindle. Would have been good if they allowed wireless sync with iTunes.
  • Enterprise features, including remote device management and wireless app distribution - Which I don't care about lot
  • Game Center - Something similar to PSN, Xbox Live with achievements, leaderboards etc

Flash & Java are strictly a No - Not that I care about these. This is coming to iPhone this summer, Although unofficially unlocked phones may have to wait a little longer ;)

Engadget have a hands-on video already.

Engadget Video

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Steve err..teky:D

Looks good mate, especially the multi tasking bit, I will have to wait a little longer though.

Hi,

Anyone here using an unlocked, jailbroken 3g iphone here?
Most of us are using an unlocked, jailbroken iphone because it is more fun:yahoo:. I am currently using a 3g unlocked and jailbroken. Also having a brand new 3GS 16Gb sitting in its original box at home, waiting for a unlock and jailbreak of firmware 3.1.3:o. I got it in a great deal, but goofed up because the seller did not reveal the information to me that is locked to the latest firmware (I should have asked him). I guess it will be another month atleast before the 3GS sees the day.

Thanks for the update Steve err..teky:D

Looks good mate, especially the multi tasking bit, I will have to wait a little longer though.

Steve :D If only I can

Yes, But it also depends on the Developer to get the code proper for it to run in the background. It's not true multi-tasking as in Windows phones, But runs majority of things including Internet Radio, VOIP services etc.

Most of us are using an unlocked, jailbroken iphone because it is more fun:yahoo:. I am currently using a 3g unlocked and jailbroken. Also having a brand new 3GS 16Gb sitting in its original box at home, waiting for a unlock and jailbreak of firmware 3.1.3:o. I got it in a great deal, but goofed up because the seller did not reveal the information to me that is locked to the latest firmware (I should have asked him). I guess it will be another month atleast before the 3GS sees the day.

Hi,

Can you guide me how to jailbreak? seems like we can do it ourselves, it is on 3.1.2 (7D11). It is unlocked!

Tried some blackr1a, but it did not work!

Cheers!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back