Showcase your audio/video setup here!......

Nice set-up you've got there Venkatesh. We'll have photo session once sometime Srini is back and post better Pic's.

Thanks Subhash and Teky,

Yeah, I am enjoying the HD65, sort of addicted to it during the absence of the LCD.

Will be completing the painting job by this week and some channels to hide all the wires in and will soon post better pics. I have ordered a 100-foot THX certified 16 gauge speaker package for Srini and myself.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for showcasing your set up Venkatesh. Can you give more info on the Torvin FS???
Have been trying to find out more about Torvin speakers, hence the request...

Nice setup Venkatesh. A couple of points though:

1. The centre channel should be placed on its own shelf, not on top of the AVR. That is bad for the AVR (vibrations, heat blockage).
2. If possible, move the floorstanders into the room. Being backed up against the wall with no free space may not be good for the sound.

Hi Venkatesh....all these days....was wondering how your setup looks like seeing your signature...atlast..I am glad you posted pics...its like climax of all the night efforts:lol:.....very nice setup....I hope I'll have such a full fledged setup sometime in my near future...

Thanks for showcasing your set up Venkatesh. Can you give more info on the Torvin FS???
Have been trying to find out more about Torvin speakers, hence the request...

Hi,

Torvin is a Chennai-based manufacturer. Before venturing into this, they are primarily service providers for famous brands like Yamaha, Marantz, Arcam.

Torvin Audio Systems

If you are more interested in Torvin speakers, you can touch base with "jeevabobby" who is an authorized dealer for Torvin.

Coming to my FS, the one I have is similar to the ones in the links provided, but the model which I have no longer exists.

Torvin Audio Systems

I am quite satisfied with the FS and have used polk audio, klipsch with Yamaha 359 and Denon 2310. Yes one can see difference in the performance in some aspects, overall I am quite satisfied with these FSs, but I am planning to add Wharfedale or some good bookshelves down the road.

Also, will be getting into a DIY thing soon, hoping that it will control my spending.

Cheers!

Hi Venkatesh....all these days....was wondering how your setup looks like seeing your signature...atlast..I am glad you posted pics...its like climax of all the night efforts:lol:.....very nice setup....I hope I'll have such a full fledged setup sometime in my near future...

Hi Ajinkya, Venkat, et al.,

Thanks for the encouragement and tips! I am working on acheiving a good setup and trying to overcome the space and other limitations I have.

Actually, except a handful of friends, Srini sir is definitely one, all others discouraged me from getting a PJ, which made my PJ search aggressive and though you dont acheive 100" or 120", 72" in a 10x10 setup is quite big, IMO.

Needless to say, I started to buy things from 2006 and it took a whole 5 years for me to arrive at a "simple" setup. I used to feel bad for choosing this as a hobby. But the reality is, it chose me, i didnt make any attempt. Still it is very hard for a salaried guy, especially those with personal commitments, dependants. The reason why I am hurrying up things is that I would be switching my job/career (legal or IT or something) soon and probably end up in a low-paying job down the road. So, at that point in time I would be just tweaking my setup, till I recover!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thats a nice setup Venkatesh. If you still haven't bought a pair of bookshelves for your HT, I would suggest you buy di-poles instead of regular bookshelves. Enjoy!!

And all the best for your career change as well!!

Nice set up Venkatesh!
So the PJ covers the lcd when in action.

Hi,

Thank you, Santhosh. I entirely forgot about the dipoles!

@iaudio, yeah, the screen covers the LCD and there is only a few-centimeter gap between both of them and also while using PJ, running AC is mandatory as fan will make the screen swing and touch the LCD!

Cheers!

View attachment 2231DSC_3225.jpg

View attachment 2230
Hi Guys

Have made a new AV rack and am hence posting a picture of it here.

All the gear remains the same i.e Yamaha CDS 2000 cdp, Accuphase E 450 amp, Nakamichi DR 10 tape deck, Denon TU 1800 tuner and the B&W 805s speakers. Additional gear in the pic is an STB, a Sony CRT and a Marantz DV 6001 DVDP

Am planning a speaker upgrade soon :D
Rgds

Last edited:
Equipment neatly set Dinyaar, So where this B&W 805 going to go. Have a very good home in Coimbatore waiting for those speakers. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

That's neat and great set up Dinyaar!
Just one suggestion. Switch off the STB from mains while listening to music. This will give a smoother sound with better bass definition.
Enjoy!
Regards
Vasu

Nicely done rack there, dinyaar !

I recently had a chance to listen to B & W 805s powered by Quad pre/power combo & Marantz CD6002 as source. I haven't listened to many speakers, but these were simply unbelievable even in a far-from-ideal room. Intimacy of music re-defined (for me).

And you are planning a speaker upgrade ! More details please :)

Hi Dinyaar,

You have a pretty setup, good to look at and definetly will be even better to hear, cause I know the B&W midrange will be simply killer.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4

dinyaar,
your rack appears to be simple but functional.
some queries -
1.cost ?
2.made by local carpenter ?

Hi Again

Yes am planning a speaker upgrade. Have been listening to B&W s for too long now. From the 601,603,704,804,805. Have always been happy with them.

Recently I heard almost ALL the speakers in the market! Some lower than my budget and some higher. I dont want to go B&W as I want a change from that voicing and the one that sounded best to me was the Thiel CS 3.7. Now the problem is that the speaker 'looks' a bit tooo large in my 16 X 14 room. I liked the Avalons too but they are way off my budget. Next best option was the CS 2.4 (SE not available at all). As u guys know I have an accuphase amp which is very full bodied with beautiful midrange and very smooth highs and IMO a NEUTRAL speaker like a THIEL is my best bet. So am hearing it a bit and will take a call soon.

I could keep the B&W as they are small but the point is that it will add to clutter in a smallish house and frankly my wife insists I sell one if I plan on a new one! Hope fully selling it at a fair price should not be a problem.

Ranojoy I got most of the wood free from an old building my uncle (a real estate developer) bought. It had some lovely wooden beams (pure teak). Got them sliced at a friends wood factory (he exports furniture) and made a solid frame of pure teak. Made the two drawers in Anchor 72 plywood. The feet are actually full SS. Like big steel discs with thick rubber coating and this I got made. Well cost to me is difficult to compute. If u were to make similar it would cost about 20K as wood and good marine ply is expensive and a carpenter would charge u about 40 % of material cost as his labour.

Myriad the STB is always off when I listen to music. Behind the rack are 8 power outlets. 4 are on one 20 Amp circuit which I use for audio and the other 4 are on a different 16 A circuit which i use my TV,STB,DVD. None of these are on the room circuit and though I have just moved back in a month ago I find no disturbance/pops/crackles at all.

Alcy yes I too have heard the 805s with Quad gear and its smooth. Sometimes too smooth.

Lastly I have a few guys in bbay who had shown interest earlier so I will inform them about my desire to sell but in case that falls through I should put them up on our forum too. Anyone buying them will be happy for sure but please do not let the reviews colour your minds. The B&W sound may not and does not appeal to one & all. Plus this speaker shines with a particular kind of amp if u want it to sound as accurate as it can and that kind of amplification is expensive.

Thanks for all the comments guys

rgds

PS-- I dont know if my friend Asit is reading this. Asit this pic is poor too, sorry. It was clicked on some aim & shoot camera by my cousin as we were setting up the system. Now its better positioned and soon I will put up some decent pics.

Last edited:
Sweet setup Dinyaar! - Please do post progress on your sale. Like you I am also contemplating sale of my N805 but have yet to find a spkr. that I like relative to the 805. Ur sale hopefully will give me an indication of the selling price I should consider if I decide to sell. I have listened to all the usual suspects in the monitor style- mostly in the US though, but am undecided. Unfortunately I was unable to listen to the new diamond 805's.
Cheers
Sid

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back