Showcase your audio/video setup here!......

Way to go boss! Me thinks - that these speakers are one of those that you can ride happily into the sunset with:ohyeah:. I have heard them in the past and concur.
Cheers
Sid

Congrats Dinyaar. I thought you had decided on the Thiels? Great you went for the Avalons. They get the tone spot on right from the entry level to their top of the line

Congrats Dinyaar!!!
I think you had gone for Thiels. Did you swap them with Avalons?
But anyway, a lovely choice.
Enjoy.
Regards

2340d1275224205-showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here-dsc00495.jpg

Drool, Envy, Breathlessness....

Dinyaar:

So, finally some pics of Avalons. The entire outlay of your stereo setup is just too good to be true, and your new house topped it all. The wait for Walnut is worth it, me thinks. Congrats, once again.

:)

Thank u all guys.

Vinod yes I like the Figured Walnut too. Actually the home is simple but I guess its looks decent as its just done a couple of months ago. The room is about 14 X 13 ft so relatively small and this speaker is the largest I could sanely go!!

Myriad & Prem : Yes I did like the Thiels a lot in the treated room at the dealers. Heard it on an accuphase cdp + Pre/ power combo to replicate things as much as I could. After that I confirmed to them that I was keen to buy provided I can hear them at my home and be totally satisfied. Took a pair home and heard them for a week and finally decided against them. It is a speaker with many pros but NEEDS A LARGER ROOM IMO plus needs an amp with an iron fist. Its not that the accuphase 450 with ample power didn't drive it but that a power amp may and should do better and I surely did not want to change the amplification at this stage. I think the combo manav has is better suited i.e Bryston/thiel naturally that is if one likes that kind of sound.
The Avalon just flat out sounds good. Seems very easy to position and sounds good with minimal effort plus the higher sensitivity means lesser drive from the amp and that in turn makes the bass overhang almost dissapear.
Have a friend in Amsterdam who has this speaker and he keeps wool felt in different thickness(DIY diffraction tweaks) and says that he can actually make the speaker change colour with this simple tweak. (Speaker has it inbuilt into the grill)
Lastly its bottom ported and small changes in the size of the spikes to increase or decrease distance from the floor alter the bass and makes it easy to tune to ones tastes.

Sidvee yes I would like to think so too. Its not perfect for sure. For starters they could have incorporated a better tweeter. Not that this ceramic accuton unit is bad its just that it could have been better. The two Eton drivers are great. Niel Patel suggests I wait for at least 100 hours to even start opining on the tweeter!!!!! Overall a lovely balance and very relaxing.

Please dont shoot me nor is this sour grapes but I found the Indra tweeter to be a bit too lively and actually prefer the ascendant in an A/B as far the the HF response goes. Naturally the indra digs deeper and is a brilliant three way design with a superb cross over.

Rgds

Last edited:
Some changes!!!!!!
The Ascendant driven by my old Accuphase amp and the yamaha source.
Mr Patel suggests a 300 hour break in and I have done about 20 hours in the week that they have been here. Very old school sound and may not appeal to anyone who looks for impact, slam,massive dynamic shifts etc etc but will appeal to u if you too are after 'tone' above anything else. Relaxed, natural sounding speaker which can be placed in moderate rooms & can be driven by real world amplification unlike the Indra which demands more on both fronts. Simple two way design.
Last upgrade will be the cdp which I plan to buy from sgpore in sept.
View attachment 2340

View attachment 2341

Rgds

congrats dinyaar.....on the upgrade.
I am bit bit confused with the two glasses on the speakers .............are they empty or filled ..............:sad::sad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

congrats dinyaar.....on the upgrade.
I am bit bit confused with the two glasses on the speakers .............are they empty or filled ..............:sad::sad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well u see am a total alcoholic and have been told to put glasses everywhere in my home as that will help overcome this major problem :D:ohyeah:

Actually these are two glass show peices(rectangular blocks) which I had picked up from a street vendor in Rome and are no glasses!!!!

Rgds

Thank u all guys.

Vinod yes I like the Figured Walnut too. Actually the home is simple but I guess its looks decent as its just done a couple of months ago. The room is about 14 X 13 ft so relatively small and this speaker is the largest I could sanely go!!

Myriad & Prem : Yes I did like the Thiels a lot in the treated room at the dealers. Heard it on an accuphase cdp + Pre/ power combo to replicate things as much as I could. After that I confirmed to them that I was keen to buy provided I can hear them at my home and be totally satisfied. Took a pair home and heard them for a week and finally decided against them. It is a speaker with many pros but NEEDS A LARGER ROOM IMO plus needs an amp with an iron fist. Its not that the accuphase 450 with ample power didn't drive it but that a power amp may and should do better and I surely did not want to change the amplification at this stage. I think the combo manav has is better suited i.e Bryston/thiel naturally that is if one likes that kind of sound.
The Avalon just flat out sounds good. Seems very easy to position and sounds good with minimal effort plus the higher sensitivity means lesser drive from the amp and that in turn makes the bass overhang almost dissapear.
Have a friend in Amsterdam who has this speaker and he keeps wool felt in different thickness(DIY diffraction tweaks) and says that he can actually make the speaker change colour with this simple tweak. (Speaker has it inbuilt into the grill)
Lastly its bottom ported and small changes in the size of the spikes to increase or decrease distance from the floor alter the bass and makes it easy to tune to ones tastes.

Sidvee yes I would like to think so too. Its not perfect for sure. For starters they could have incorporated a better tweeter. Not that this ceramic accuton unit is bad its just that it could have been better. The two Eton drivers are great. Niel Patel suggests I wait for at least 100 hours to even start opining on the tweeter!!!!! Overall a lovely balance and very relaxing.

Please dont shoot me nor is this sour grapes but I found the Indra tweeter to be a bit too lively and actually prefer the ascendant in an A/B as far the the HF response goes. Naturally the indra digs deeper and is a brilliant three way design with a superb cross over.

Rgds

Dear Dinyaar, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
The Avalons Ascendents are truly better mated with the Accuphase.

But IMHO, the sound gets even sweeter if you mate them to the high end Jeff Rowland components!

After all, they were voiced to them throughout the 90s!

Though, the Accuphase does a fine job too! Also, since you do have an Accuphase amp, the Avalons are a more natural fit.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I for one am darned happy with my Theil's! In fact soon, the Bryston 3BSST will go and I will be getting the Krell FPB 200 in its place!

That's when my upgrade bug stops. Currently I have replaced the Onkyo Integra pre amp with a Audio Research LS 2B line stage. And it has made a HUGE difference. The music is now very SMOOTH. The slight amount of refinement that was lacking in the combo is now there!

The only thing troubling me is the IC between the Phono and line stage...

Its a helluva toss up between an old (nicely priced) VDH The First Ultimate and a brand new Audioquest SKY 72 DBS.

I quite like the smooth slightly creamy texture that the VDH The second brings in and it might just help in the phono if I put in the 'VDH The First Ultimate'. But then its is reported that the Sky is a livelier cable....

At this point I am a bit confused....

Congratulations to u Manav.

Somehow I found nothing from my VDH inventory that sounded good with the Thiels. My source is a cdp and I tried 3 VDH Ics (First, second & orchid)and was not satisfied with any. The Orchid was the best of the three so I figured the all carbon sounds unnatural on the Thiels. The VDH are generally smooth but the trebles were really biting!!!! One thing to keep in mind is the less than adequate break in on the speaker.

Rgds

Congrats Dinyaar for your addition and love the setup and something is new to me and never had auditioned... Had a nice time on reading your old threads too.

Regards

Hello hifi members,

Am keen to get feedback from experts on this forum on my set up :

> room size 25x35
> samsung led 46"
> quad 909 amp
> quad 99 pre amp
> aad vi860 phil jones towers
> creek evolution cdp
> yamaha rx457 6.1 reciever
> sony dvd player
> space 6.1 ht

mukesh

Attachments

• 11052010011.jpg
    11052010011.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 635
  • 09052010008.jpg
    09052010008.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 625
  • 09052010002.jpg
    09052010002.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 624
Hello hifi members,

Am keen to get feedback from experts on this forum on my set up :

> room size 25x35
> samsung led 46"
> quad 909 amp
> quad 99 pre amp
> aad vi860 phil jones towers
> creek evolution cdp
> yamaha rx457 6.1 reciever
> sony dvd player
> space 6.1 ht

mukesh

Hello Mukesh,
Setting right a music or av system in a living room is always difficult. Your system placed at one corner of the room will put the balance off. You have to find a wall where you can put the speakers at the equidistant from the side walls as well as back wall. To do that you may have to reorient your room.
Regards

Yes, agree with Myriad.

The right side tower is fine, but the left one is a big question mark. More so, the towers require some free throw area with no significant obstuctions. Here, you have a battery of seating areas. Satellite speakers could have been the right choice here.

All the gadgets are on top of each other. Not much of an issue with most, other than the Yamaha. Does it have enough breathing space, more so, when something else is on top of it? Does it have a rear heat sink? If so, then ok.

Suggest, you consider making yet another both-ends open cabinet to house the boxes separately. Each box on a separate slot. That would improve ventilation drastically. You can also plan for room re-orientation to provide for near equal speaker distance and at least 8-10 feet of free space (inclined) in front of the FS.

BTW, the choice of equipments other than the 'Space 6.1' is ......:clapping:

thanks Vidyarthi and myriad for the great feedback.:)

the layout of the rom is such that this is the only place i find where the towers could be placed. since they are rear port firing , they need a good 22 inches space from rear wall and about 12 inches from side wall to eliminate any boom sound. the distance between the two towers is 10 ft and my listning throne is too at 10 ft so i get great imaging effect.

yes i agree, space was purchased some 11 years ago..am looking for someone to buy the same so that i could upgrade.;)

actually I think there is another way out. You are right now constraint in your thinking as you are trying to align your speakers with your walls, and with your av cabinet. Close your eyes and think if there is another way out?
One way could be to draw an imaginary line parallel to the diagonal of the room, near the corner, and place speaker at the end of this line, and angle them in so that speakers point to the center of the room.

thanks Vidyarthi and myriad for the great feedback.:)

the layout of the rom is such that this is the only place i find where the towers could be placed. since they are rear port firing , they need a good 22 inches space from rear wall and about 12 inches from side wall to eliminate any boom sound. the distance between the two towers is 10 ft and my listning throne is too at 10 ft so i get great imaging effect.

yes i agree, space was purchased some 11 years ago..am looking for someone to buy the same so that i could upgrade.;)

My Dream Home Theatre is now a reality !!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to JAGGU'S HOME THEATRE......................!

Upgraded to HD (High Def)

- Panasonic 42'' Plasma TV (TH-42PV20) - Full HD 1080p Moving Picture Resolution Picture quality
- Sony Blu Ray player (BDP-S373) - (24p True Cinema, Deep & X.V Colour and BD Live)
- Marantz CD6002 CD Player
- Denon AVR-1910 A/V Recevier
- Wharfedale Diamond 9 series speakers (L,R,C,SR,SL)
- Definitive Technology ProSub100 SubWoofer
- QED Performance Biwired Speaker Cables / QED Performance HDMI 1.3a Cables / Monster Coaxial Audio Cable / Monster Subwoofer Cable
- Tata Sky Plus connected via ProfiGold Component Cables
- 'One for All' Universal Remote
- Belkin Power surge sockets

jbp1010577bj

p1010577b.jpg

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back