Showcase your audio/video setup here!......

thanx, sir!

well, i tried upgrading to the arca, unsuccessfully.

the next best option was this (IMHO, of course).

owing to a large room size, other than in solitary listening sessions (which is actually more often that otherwise) the expected slam was found wanting. with the sub, ELF heavy sections come alive, with excellent dynamics. since the aristas have 8"ers, sub (50-60 actually) 30Hz is an avoidable strain on them. with ELF now going to the sub, they are free to deliver dense, sweeter mids.

i have retained both chains, tho'., i.e., pure (w/o sub) and one with, to continue enjoying the best of both.

I heard a 'new' version of the ARCA last night;

No Power Cable - Internal Battery.
Inductor Changed.
X-Over Upgraded.
Siltech Cables - Internal.
SP-XXV - ESL Panel.

Sounded 'different'

I do not know what else has been changed - will find out on 27th.
Going to Pune - will try and get a listen if possible !!

Inductor Changed.
X-Over Upgraded.
SP-XXV - ESL Panel.

Sounded 'different'

may be interesting to check out FM Radni14's mod'd version also.

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/16950-cadence-arca-opinions-please-14.html

the challenge when i had gone across to listen to the XXV was the internal battery and fuses thereto.

i am assuming u mean 'good' 'difference'.

Been a while since i was on here. So here goes, my current rig.

img5921b.jpg

img5922g.jpg

Nice Maggies Sachi. Congrats!! Which ones are they? 3.7?

I listened to the 1.7 and the mini-Maggies in Singapore being powered by Esoteric and Naim respectively and loved it. Amazing stuff, very dynamic and transparent sounding. The 1.7 sounded like I was in a concert especially on some Ghazals and Hindustani Classical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys :)..I love my speaker system..the headphone rig is no slouch either..its the best i have heard in headphones since i signed up on head-fi and started down that path 5 years ago. Have been through a ton of different headphones and amplifiers in all sorts of price ranges.

Nice Maggies Sachi. Congrats!! Which ones are they? 3.7?

I listened to the 1.7 and the mini-Maggies in Singapore being powered by Esoteric and Naim respectively and loved it. Amazing stuff, very dynamic and transparent sounding. The 1.7 sounded like I was in a concert especially on some Ghazals and Hindustani Classical.

Hi Santosh, Its the 1.6 actually.

I auditioned the 1.7 in the showroom and wasn't impressed. Loved the 1.6s though. I have had the 1.6s for a year now and am finding it really hard to upgrade from them in a reasonable price range.

I have been thinking about moving up to the 3.6 since they are not all that more expensive. Soon as I get around to auditioning them i will think about it.

I hear you about the concert like experience you get with them, they are very addicting. Its hard to listen to a boxed speaker after you get used to this "wall of sound" experience.

If you can afford it, i think everyone should experience owning a pair of magnepans at least once in their audio journey.

If you can afford it, i think everyone should experience owning a pair of magnepans at least once in their audio journey.
Sachi, I liked them a lot - enough to wish to own them some day. But unfortunately I don't have the room for it. Both my listening spaces don't work for the Maggies or any di-pole application which require the rear waves to be reflected/diffused. One room has a fully damped rear wall (per LEDE [Live End Dead End] concept) and in another, there is no rear wall :(.

Sachi, Awesome! Is the headphone in the box the Stax?
And I see a flat cable. Would be great if you could explain why you prefer one.

As I have written elsewhere in this forum, I practically lived with a pair of Magneplaner MGIIIs for close to a couple of years in 1987-88 in the US during the final stages of my PhD. They were very tall (probably taller than me, and I am close to 6 feet) owned by a close friend of mine who was an engineer and graduated earlier and got a job at the Bell Labs. He bought a house, a Nissan Maxima and a stereo gear containing the Maggies. Some of us practically used to live in that house and had full access to his gear which also included a Nakamichi Dragon.

These had a lasting impression on my mind and still cannot get them out of my mind. Very musical and open sounding. I have not heard the current maggies and perhaps they sound even better.

Thanks Sachi for sharing. I know another close friend of mine is currently considering the Maggies. They are good value for money at their price. Not quite sure about Indian pricing.

Regards.

I owned a pair of MMG's in late 90's to early 2000's and IMO these were the speakers that got me started on the Hi-fi journey. That was the best $500 I have spent on any of my equipment. I would someday like to buy another pair of the higher end Maggies, but unfortunately, just like Santosh, I cannot accomodate them right now. BTW Awesome setup Sachi:thumbsup:
Cheers,
Sid

Sid, do try listen to the recently launched Mini Maggies if you already haven't. It contains 3 panels - Left, Right and a Low Frequency Module (also a panel the size of a 32 inch TV). Amazing value for ~1.6k USD and so easy to carry with you from abroad. Works well in a 10 x 12 room or on your desktop which is really what Magnepan is targeting. Except for scale and bass extension, it sounded pretty much like the 1.7 that I heard at a bargain price.

Sid, do try listen to the recently launched Mini Maggies if you already haven't. It contains 3 panels - Left, Right and a Low Frequency Module (also a panel the size of a 32 inch TV). Amazing value for ~1.6k USD and so easy to carry with you from abroad. Works well in a 10 x 12 room or on your desktop which is really what Magnepan is targeting. Except for scale and bass extension, it sounded pretty much like the 1.7 that I heard at a bargain price.

Thanks Santhosh - No I have not heard them, plan to do so on an upcoming trip.
Cheers,
Sid

Inductor Changed.
X-Over Upgraded.
SP-XXV - ESL Panel.

Sounded 'different'

My Arca s in specs are similar to what you recently heard except :
1, they do not have internal DC batteries , they need 120 volt AC supply ( for connection to PS Audio power plant )
2. X-over is further upgraded ( better caps with tighter tolerances , silver wire wound resistors )

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back