The Movies I Liked

this weekend saw two films

1. INGLORIOUS BASTARDS (third time) - I like the scene where Hans Landa resurfaces and later orders a glass of milk

Waltz's acting in that segment is one for the history books. Phenomenal performance. An awesome movie all in all!

have you seen Basu Chatterjee's remake of 12 Angry Men - Ek Ruka Hua Faisala, decent attemp I would say
Arnab

I'm not a movie buff by any measure so wouldn't know anything about this version. Would it be on DVD? I'm almost certain I'd need sub-titles too! I just realized that most of the movies I enjoyed thoroughly in the recent past have been 'accidental' and almost all of them were black & white oldies!

here is the link

EK RUKA HUA FAISLA - Pankaj Kapur (Original Hindi DVD) | eBay

but why subtitles?? don't you understand Hindi? if not then don't rely on the Subs, this film has some "desi wits" which if translated lose all its spark and juice, Indian DVD that too neglected - expect atrocious picture quality

B&W films - is it Hollywood? then you become my permanent friend, am not a buff but just can't forget some beauties, lets see how many I can remember that have made permannet impression in my mind

CITIZEN KANE, HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, THE MALTESE FALCON, SUNSET BOULEVARD, TREASURES OF SIERRA MADRE, JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG, BAD DAY AT THE BLACK ROCK, GREAT EXPECTATIONS, HOBSON'S CHOICE, GOING MY WAY, ALL ABOUT EVE, CASABLANCA, INHERIT THE WIND.......

sometime I wonder when you think about TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD do you feel you need a blu-ray disc? to me for such films it hardly matters

Arnab

here is the link

but why subtitles?? don't you understand Hindi? if not then don't rely on the Subs, this film has some "desi wits" which if translated lose all its spark and juice, Indian DVD that too neglected - expect atrocious picture quality

B&W films - is it Hollywood? then you become my permanent friend, am not a buff but just can't forget some beauties, lets see how many I can remember that have made permannet impression in my mind

CITIZEN KANE, HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, THE MALTESE FALCON, SUNSET BOULEVARD, TREASURES OF SIERRA MADRE, JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG, BAD DAY AT THE BLACK ROCK, GREAT EXPECTATIONS, HOBSON'S CHOICE, GOING MY WAY, ALL ABOUT EVE, CASABLANCA, INHERIT THE WIND.......

sometime I wonder when you think about TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD do you feel you need a blu-ray disc? to me for such films it hardly matters

Arnab

Thanks for the link, will try getting it. Yes, I was referring to the Hollywood oldies. You have mentioned some fabulous movies there, especially 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. That's probably one of my all-time favorites. Maybe this is just me, but I think b&w lets the story and acting take centre-stage without all the fluff & effects to distract you much. Here are some more that I enjoyed very much:

A Streetcar Named Desire
Song of Love
How the West was won (Not B&W, but still...)
A King in New York
Lilies of the Field

I have watched and enjoyed a lot more but it's just that I can't remember the names. I usually catch a movie mid-way when flipping through and watch it for a minute to see how it goes. More often than not, the B&W ones hook me and make me watch them till the end, ofcourse without ever finding out the movie name! And, you're right about blu-ray. ;) For my television usage, I doubt I'd ever have to 'upgrade' from my CRT...

Saw and loved a few from the Clint Eastwood directorial series

1. Unforgiven (1992) - IMDb

Amazing movie, probably the best western I have seen. Great storyline. Nice acting by Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman. A bit of a waste from a BD perspective, one should probably stick to the DVD.

2. IMDb - Gran Torino (2008)
Nice movie. Clint Eastwood at his best as the disgruntled and nasty war veteran with a heart of gold. Ahney her who plays the Hmong neighbour is quite good too.

I watched the 'Million Dollar Baby' the night before for the first time and was thinking what an awesome director Eastwood is. I find it very hard to imagine him doing 'Dirty Harry'!

here is the link

Arnab

I like your selection, my favourite being 'How Green Was My Valley' also Mel Gibson's 'Tim'
I prefer watching B&W movies in the original format
Tks

I love films that do not thrill you with special effects, rather only by pure human emotion/relation.......

@grubyhao
Marlon Brando was too good at that time in STREET CAR NAMED DESIRE or ON THE WATERFRONT, haven't seen his films for over three years now, he stunned critics in LAST TANGO IN PARIS......you know I always regret that I could not make an authentic collection of Hollywood films because when I saw majority of them I was a student and could not afford it, managed DVDs/media files from friends.....now I hv a permanent job and I can collect them......but don't feel like seeing every film multiple times, moreover as I hv already seen them their original blu-ray/DVDs do not appeal me any longer, quite a precarious situation, you are still with CRT?? in one way you are exceptional!!

@wlg
I have always felt CLINT EASTWOOD was way underutilized as an actor......that showed up in his directional front.......like old wine he seems to be getting better and better and mind it he is close to 90 now!! GRAN TORINO was a superlative attempt and I must say it made me resolve will see everything this person makes in future.

by the way can't say my all time favorite but these keep coming to my mind whenever I think of films though have seen them at least 6/7 years ago

WILLIAM HOLDEN in SUNSET BOULEVARD
JACK NICOLSON in CHINATOWN
GREGORY PECK in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
AL PACINO in SCENT OF A WOMAN
DUSTIN HOFFMAN in MIDNIGHT COWBOY
ROBERT DE NIRO in TAXI DRIVER
MARTIN SHEEN in APOCALYPSE NOW
RALPH FIENNES in THE ENGLISH PATIENT
SPENCER TRACY in INHERIT THE WIND
PAUL NEWMANN in THE HUSTLER

now it will keep coming for the whole day......need to go now......noce thread to write

Arnab

MV5BMTkxMTE3NzEzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzc4MTU2Mw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Storyline

Writer Jennifer Hills (Butler) takes a retreat from the city to a charming cabin in the woods to start on her next book. But Jennifer's presence in the small town attracts the attention of a few morally depraved locals who set out one night to teach this city girl a lesson. They break into her cabin to scare her. However, what starts out as terrifying acts of humiliation and intimidation, quickly and uncontrollably escalates into a night of physical abuse and torturous assault. But before they can kill her, Jennifer sacrifices her broken and beaten body to a raging river that washes her away. As time passes, the men slowly stop searching for her body and try to go back to life as usual. But that isn't about to happen. Against all odds, Jennifer Hills survived her ordeal. Now, with hell bent vengeance, Jennifer's sole purpose is to turn the tables on these animals and to inflict upon them every horrifying and torturous moment they carried out on her.

I Spit on Your Grave: Unrated (2010) - IMDb

V.
--

MV5BMzkzOTIyNjE0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDY5MDY5Mg@@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Story Line

Mark and David are best friends, photo journalists going from war to war. In the spring of 1988, they're in Kurdistan, at an isolated mountain clinic, waiting for an offensive. David's had enough - he wants to go home to Dublin to his pregnant wife. He leaves, with Mark promising to follow in a few days. A week or so later, Mark's home after being wounded, but David's not been heard from. Mark's slow recovery and uncharacteristic behavior alarm his girlfriend, Elena, who asks her grandfather, a Spanish psychologist, to come to Dublin to help. Are there things the carefree and detached journalist is bottling up? Is he a casualty of war?

Triage (2009) - IMDb

V.

MV5BNjE1ODI3NTUwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODA4MjI1NA@@._V1._SY317_CR15,0,214,317_.jpg

Storyline

A diplomat's bodyguard and company are injured in a botched assassination attempt. They're all taken to the same hospital, where the bodyguard teams up with a nurse to protect the diplomat from a team of ruthless assassins. The nurse soon learns that there is more to this sticky situation than expected.

Game of Death (2010) - IMDb

V.

MV5BOTM5NDY1MTk2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTMyNjkxMg@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Storyline

While babysitting a boy and his baby brother, Casey Beldon has a dreadful nightmare involving a weird dog and an evil child, and she tells her best friend Romy over the phone. Casey is haunted by this boy, and when she goes to the ophthalmologist, he asks if she has a twin brother or sister. She asks her father and discovers that her mother lost a son that died in the womb. Casey suspects that she is haunted by the spirit of her brother. She finds a letter addressed to a woman called Sofi Kozma and a creepy picture at home that belonged to her mother. She goes with Romy to a retirement home to meet Sofi, a survivor of the experiments during the Holocaust. But Sofi tells Casey that she had never met her mother and later calls Casey to tell her she is in great danger.

The Unborn (2009) - IMDb

V.

IMDb - Thor (2011)

A story about Thor, the Norse god of Thunder. How he gets thrown by his father from the world of gods to the world of humans and learns few valuable lessons in becoming a good king.

Story is better in the second half than the first. Interesting scifi movie not as good as Xmen first class but quite good.

MV5BMTY3NjczNzc5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzA2MzQyNA@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Storyline

An action-thriller about a writer who takes an experimental drug that allows him to use 100 percent of his mind. As one man evolves into the perfect version of himself, forces more corrupt than he can imagine mark him for assassination. Out-of-work writer Eddie Morra's (Cooper) rejection by girlfriend Lindy (Abbie Cornish) confirms his belief that he has zero future. That all vanishes the day an old friend introduces Eddie to NZT, a designer pharmaceutical that makes him laser focused and more confident than any man alive. Now on an NZT-fueled odyssey, everything Eddie's read, heard or seen is instantly organized and available to him. As the former nobody rises to the top of the financial world, he draws the attention of business mogul Carl Van Loon (De Niro), who sees this enhanced version of Eddie as the tool to make billions. But brutal side effects jeopardize his meteoric ascent

IMDb - Limitless (2011)

V.

MV5BMTQzMTU1NzQwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDg4NzMzMw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Storyline

Two soldiers stationed in Kazahkstan (Captain Duke Hauser and his partner "Ripcord") are ordered to transport special warheads created by MARS, an arms' manufacturer controlled by James McCullen. When they are attacked by thieves (led by Anastasia DeCobray, with whom Duke has history), they are saved by a top secret, international special forces unit known as "G.I. Joe". The leader of G.I. Joe, General Abernathy (or Hawk) is on the trail of the thieves: an evil organization called "Cobra". While Duke and Ripcord train to join the Joes, McCullen ("Destro") is secretly working for Cobra and plotting to recapture his metal-eating "Nanomite" warheads. Duke and Ripcord (with help from Heavy Duty, Snake Eyes, and the rest of the Joes) must prove that they are Real American Heroes -- by stopping the launch of these warheads before Cobra uses them to take over the world.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) - IMDb

V.

In the earlier days i used to often go by the imdb ratings and download the movies which had a rating of more then 6 but i have liked some of the movies rated as low as 4.

I too do not give the ratings much importance but go by the storyline, if it appeals i download.

V.

Grown Ups (2010) - IMDb

Not as bad as the rating in imdb suggests.

My vote goes out for Baraka - it is not exactly a movie in the traditional sense.

Ever since I got a Full HD TV and now a Full HD AVR and Decent speakers wanted to test the best and read some where that its visuals are the best.

Since I could not buy a blu ray, I downloaded the 1080p version - all 13GB of it!!

The visuals are breath taking and music too is good.

Baraka (1992) - IMDb

Here is my setup

http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-...assembled-set-up-pionner-polk.html#post291748

Although I have a blu ray player and a blu ray..they belong to different regions and hence dont like each other.

The only proper 5.1 audio I get today is on Tata sky HD that too on some HD channels

If I download a bluray movie via torrents and play it on my laptop via my AVR - will I get to experience the proper 7.1 Dolby/ DTS to hear the latest and greatest in audio? pls advise. Thx

Last edited:
MV5BOTYyMTExNTgwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDY4MTEzMw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Storyline

Alan Johnson has everything he needs to get through life: a good job, a beautiful and loving wife, and their wonderful children. Yet he feels isolated because he finds having a hard-working job and managing a family too much to handle and has no one to talk to about it. Charlie Fineman, on the other hand, doesn't have a job or a family. He used to have both until a terrible loss, and the grief caused him to quit his job and isolate himself from everyone around him. As it turns out, Alan and Charlie were roommates in college, and a chance encounter one night rekindles the friendship they shared. But when Charlie's problems become too much to deal with, Alan is determined to help Charlie come out of his emotional abyss.

Reign Over Me (2007) - IMDb

V.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back