The Movies I Liked

Re: The Movie I Liked

I watched "Nocturnal Animals" yesterday night. To say I was hooked from the first post-title-credits frame would be an understatement. Just wow!

The movie has that 70s feel to it all through. Some of the movie feels like it was pulled straight from a 70s exploitation genre movie. An eerie sense of foreboding is injected right from the start. The three overlapping threads come and go, and overlap each other seamlessly.

All of the main cast - Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Shannon and (man, what a crazy performance!) Aaron Taylor Johnson - were outstanding!

@easanthosh, I managed to spot Isla Fisher too! After having watched "Catch Me If You Can" thinking that Amy Adams was an inconsistent actress, I've somehow learnt to tell them apart. And yes, the highway scenes in the "Story" were eerily unsettling and felt very, very real. All thanks to Aaron Taylor Johnson's outstanding performance.

And it ended exactly the way it should have! I knew it was coming from the moment the build up to that scene began. And it was just perfect! I'm not too given to emotional outbursts during a movie, but I jumped up with a cry of glee and a clap when the credits hit.

These movies also some disturbance while watching for me...

Eden Lake (2008)
Wolf Creek (2005)

Wolf Creek WAS awesome ... It gave me nightmares ..... Eden Lake was also ultimate, left me depressed. But above all these two was the mind numbing, ultra scary and depressing The Descent .Man this movie left me sad for days ...... the environment, the suspense, the suffering, and then the bloody ending ...... was just too dispirited ....

Wolf Creek WAS awesome ... It gave me nightmares ..... Eden Lake was also ultimate, left me depressed. But above all these two was the mind numbing, ultra scary and depressing The Descent .Man this movie left me sad for days ...... the environment, the suspense, the suffering, and then the bloody ending ...... was just too dispirited ....

Agreed................:clapping:

Still digging or searching similar kinda movies

Natsamrat (2016)
Language: Marathi

A Marathi Drama which depicts the life of a theater actor who has retired.It beautifully depicts how retirement impacts a person and people surrounding him.It algo digs into the nuances of relationships. Strong performance by NanaPatekar and Vikram Gokhale.

Sold (2014)

Based on true stories, a film about child trafficking. The movie also depicts hope. Some nice performances by Sushmita Mukherjee, Parambrata Chatterjee and Gillian Anderson.

You should watch "the vanishing" - 1993 film, a man furiously searching for his gf who just vanished from a store. People say the original dutch/french film "spoorloos" (1988) was better with a different ending but since i have not seen the original, cannot give my opinion on it.

You should watch "the vanishing" - 1993 film, a man furiously searching for his gf who just vanished from a store. People say the original dutch/french film "spoorloos" (1988) was better with a different ending but since i have not seen the original, cannot give my opinion on it.

Watched both. But always Original best..."Spoorloos":clapping:

Atleast Vanishing was much better than the english remake of the swedish tri part series "girl with the dragon tattoo". I watched the 3 original swedish versions but felt only the first part was rivetting..

Atleast Vanishing was much better than the english remake of the swedish tri part series "girl with the dragon tattoo". I watched the 3 original swedish versions but felt only the first part was rivetting..

Yes...Michael Nyqvist & Noomi Rapace did the good performance in triple series.

Awaiting for The Girl in the Spider's Web (Millennium series Book 4)
As for now total cast changed.

Moonlight (2016)

One standout aspect of this film is that it dares to put a shy person of very few words, one who still hasn't really got in touch with himself at the center stage. The film basically covers three chapters of his life - Little (age 9), Chiron (age 16) and Black (Adult). In the first two chapters, Chiron passively responds to bullying both at school and at home, trying to avoid it rather than standing up against it. Even though he hardens up in life by the third chapter, I liked how they allowed him to remain a man of few words till the very end - He is still avoiding things; He is still hesitant and takes a long time to dig out words from within. You don't get to see a good portrayal of a shy person that often. The photography is also excellent, creating a great atmosphere.

But, these are the only parts of the film I liked. Even though the acting is generally good, I didn't see anything special about Mahershala Ali's performance (compared to what he has already done in 'Luke Cage' or 'House of Cards'). The pacing is slow, but that is not an issue at all since I am used to kilometer long walks without anything else accompanying thanks to Bela Tarr's films. It is not the lack of understanding of a different culture either because I was fine with "The Wire" and "Luke Cage". The problem I have with "Moonlight" is that the 'story' itself is a disjointed series of incidents. Between them, there are a lot of gaps which we need to fill ourselves. As a result, I could 'understand' but still not emotionally connect with the characters. I liked the character of Teresa (Janelle Mone), but you don't get to know her at all besides her handful of interactions with Chiron. In fact, you don't get to know any of the characters that well besides Chiron and his mother (and a little bit of Kevin). That is a good choice to make if you want the focus to remain on a handful of characters, but it also feels a bit hollow. 'Blue is the warmest color' had all these 'issues' as well - slow pacing, gaps in the timeline between scenes, not focusing on side characters - but it was a very involving film. Even setting aside all other aspects, 'Moonlight' is not even the best 'gay film' I've watched (though I must clarify that it is only a minor part of 'Moonlight'). Pedro Almodovar's 'Bad Education' went much further, making me uncomfortable enough to watch some scenes with half an eye closed, but had a very interesting 'package' of murder mystery to deliver it in. Anyway I see it, 'Moonlight' is a fairly good film, but it isn't all that great (at least to me).

Last edited:
I loved Moonlight. It is the intimacy of the characters that stayed with me even after the movie was over. Sucks you right in and the ending is really what "does" the movie.

As usual, our censor board has cut out a few scenes.

Moonlight (2016)

One standout aspect of this film is that it dares to put a shy person of very few words, one who still hasn't really got in touch with himself at the center stage. The film basically covers three chapters of his life - Little (age 9), Chiron (age 16) and Black (Adult). In the first two chapters, Chiron passively responds to bullying both at school and at home, trying to avoid it rather than standing up against it. Even though he hardens up in life by the third chapter, I liked how they allowed him to remain a man of few words till the very end - He is still avoiding things; He is still hesitant and takes a long time to dig out words from within. You don't get to see a good portrayal of a shy person that often. The photography is also excellent, creating a great atmosphere.

But, these are the only parts of the film I liked. Even though the acting is generally good, I didn't see anything special about Mahershala Ali's performance (compared to what he has already done in 'Luke Cage' or 'House of Cards'). The pacing is slow, but that is not an issue at all since I am used to kilometer long walks without anything else accompanying thanks to Bela Tarr's films. It is not the lack of understanding of a different culture either because I was fine with "The Wire" and "Luke Cage". The problem I have with "Moonlight" is that the 'story' itself is a disjointed series of incidents. Between them, there are a lot of gaps which we need to fill ourselves. As a result, I could 'understand' but still not emotionally connect with the characters. I liked the character of Teresa (Janelle Mone), but you don't get to know her at all besides her handful of interactions with Chiron. In fact, you don't get to know any of the characters that well besides Chiron and his mother (and a little bit of Kevin). That is a good choice to make if you want the focus to remain on a handful of characters, but it also feels a bit hollow. 'Blue is the warmest color' had all these 'issues' as well - slow pacing, gaps in the timeline between scenes, not focusing on side characters - but it was a very involving film. Even setting aside all other aspects, 'Moonlight' is not even the best 'gay film' I've watched (though I must clarify that it is only a minor part of 'Moonlight'). Pedro Almodovar's 'Bad Education' went much further, making me uncomfortable enough to watch some scenes with half an eye closed, but had a very interesting 'package' of murder mystery to deliver it in. Anyway I see it, 'Moonlight' is a fairly good film, but it isn't all that great (at least to me).

Good review...:clapping:

Watched last week and not impressed. Acting is normal except "Naomie Harris". For me, they wasted 1 Oscar. Compare to Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Moonlight (2016)

I couldn't have paraphrased how i felt about Moonlight any better than you have. Nailed it.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back