The Movies I Liked

Just read the review, Sanchit. Lets just say that I disagree :).

I see the movie as truly groundbreaking. Why, you ask? Because to my mind, I do not recall any other Hindi movie of recent vintage trying to even convey to the audience that there is always some grey between the black and the white. Our Bollywood heroes are always good and stand for the whitest of whites and the villains are always evil and stand for the darkest shades of the human heart.

Ishqiya subtly changes that trend and introduces some much needed realism into its script. Life is not artifiically exciting. It just happens. So even the 'essay-like' narration actually appeals to me exactly because it is just natural.

Note that last scene where the behan-ji actually asks for Nasseerudin to be
excecuted. That is one amazing scene - when you consider that it was to that lady's mercy that Nasseerudin kept on appealing for the better part of the movie to not get shot by her husband.

It kind of typifies the whole movie. Even the mature way in which the love triangle was handled was noteworthy.

Well - you can consider me properly biased. But I have been waiting for a long time to see Bollywood movies which are more natural and not forced. This did it for me. :)

I have been a fan of Naseerudin since I first saw him in Nishant.Although I stopped watching Bollywood movies in the late 80's I have kept track of Naseer and did go to the multiplex to watch Maqbool,Iqbal,A Wednesday,Parzania and recently Ishiqiya.I watched Ishqiya in an early morning 9 am show in an empty hall with only a cuddling couple in the back row for company....
Vishal Bhardwaj(in this case the producer) is a cut above the rest of the industry but considering the mediocrity of Bollywood as a whole that is nothing special.I found Ishiqiya to be as phoney,manufactured and superficial as any Chopra/Johar outpouring.Naseer sleep-walked through his role.What was their in the movie which he has not done a hundred times before?Watching Naseer over the past 30 years I have always wondered what he could have done with a Bresson,Ray or a Bergman.He is undeniably talented .My view is that as an actor he just happened to be born at the wrong time wrong place.
Hollywood and Bollywood to me is a Wasteland.Or in the words of the great poet himself -
'What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow
Out of this stony rubbish?Son of man,
You cannot say,or guess, for you know only
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,
And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,
And the dry stone no sound of water.'
TS Eliot might have been commenting on the world at large but whenever I watch mainstream cinema or television(news,soaps,music video's,sport's)I find his words resonating over the Wasteland we have all contributed in building and now inhabit with nary an escape hatch in sight....

Watching Naseer over the past 30 years I have always wondered what he could have done with a Bresson,Ray or a Bergman.He is undeniably talented. My view is that as an actor he just happened to be born at the wrong time wrong place.

Interesting. I would really like your views on his role in 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', and in particular, his matching capabilities with Sean Connery. I somehow felt in the movie that Sean was weary of Naseerudin and one could see it in his subdued acting whenever in the company of Captain Nemo. In general, Sean always towers over all other players.

BTW, have you seen Naseerudin in 'Maharathi'?

Cheers

I have been a fan of Naseerudin since I first saw him in Nishant.Although I stopped watching Bollywood movies in the late 80's I have kept track of Naseer and did go to the multiplex to watch Maqbool,Iqbal,A Wednesday,Parzania and recently Ishiqiya.I watched Ishqiya in an early morning 9 am show in an empty hall with only a cuddling couple in the back row for company....
Vishal Bhardwaj(in this case the producer) is a cut above the rest of the industry but considering the mediocrity of Bollywood as a whole that is nothing special.I found Ishiqiya to be as phoney,manufactured and superficial as any Chopra/Johar outpouring.Naseer sleep-walked through his role.What was their in the movie which he has not done a hundred times before?Watching Naseer over the past 30 years I have always wondered what he could have done with a Bresson,Ray or a Bergman.He is undeniably talented .My view is that as an actor he just happened to be born at the wrong time wrong place.
Hollywood and Bollywood to me is a Wasteland.Or in the words of the great poet himself -
'What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow
Out of this stony rubbish?Son of man,
You cannot say,or guess, for you know only
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,
And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,
And the dry stone no sound of water.'
TS Eliot might have been commenting on the world at large but whenever I watch mainstream cinema or television(news,soaps,music video's,sport's)I find his words resonating over the Wasteland we have all contributed in building and now inhabit with nary an escape hatch in sight....

Well Ajay - I am not quite sure that I would start expecting so much from Bollywood just yet. My praise was fuelled by the simple fact that it was better than the rest of the chaff going around in Bollywood. But yes, I believe I have written that Naseerudin did not really have to put in too much effort in this role. The other two though really shone. Especially Vidya Balan.

passengers_ver2.jpg

A psychologist is called in to help survivors of a plane crash cope with the trauma of the accident. During her sessions with the patients, she realizes that the crash was not due to pilot error as claimed by the airline, but a mechanical failure, and feels that the airline is trying to cover it up and prevent her from investigating further. Her patients start disappearing one by one; one of the survivors is trying to get closer to her, and somehow knows some things from her personal life. The movie moves at a slow pace, but the twist at the end is a good one.

Passengers.

passengers_ver2.jpg

A psychologist is called in to help survivors of a plane crash cope with the trauma of the accident. During her sessions with the patients, she realizes that the crash was not due to pilot error as claimed by the airline, but a mechanical failure, and feels that the airline is trying to cover it up and prevent her from investigating further. Her patients start disappearing one by one; one of the survivors is trying to get closer to her, and somehow knows some things from her personal life. The movie moves at a slow pace, but the twist at the end is a good one.

Carriers

Four kids are driving through the desert on the way to the beach, their faces anything but cheery: this isn't Spring Break. They're trying to outrun the end of the world and each other. In lex and David Pastor's CARRIERS, no one is safe from the viral pandemic threatening to wipe out the human race. Determined to elude the deadly virus, Danny (LOU TAYLOR PUCCI), his brother Brian (CHRIS PINE), his girlfriend Bobby (PIPER PERABO) and Danny's school friend Kate (EMILY VANCAMP) speed across the Southwestern U.S. to reach a place of possible safety. Over the course of four days, the group is faced with moral decisions that no human should ever be forced to face. They discover that their greatest enemy is not the microbe attacking humanity, but the darkness within themselves.

Carriers (2009)

Interesting. I would really like your views on his role in 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', and in particular, his matching capabilities with Sean Connery. I somehow felt in the movie that Sean was weary of Naseerudin and one could see it in his subdued acting whenever in the company of Captain Nemo. In general, Sean always towers over all other players.

BTW, have you seen Naseerudin in 'Maharathi'?

Cheers

The League was a disaster of a movie.Not surprisingly it was rejected by critics and viewers alike.Naseer was subdued because once again he was in the wrong time wrong place.Sean has great screen presence and is immensely likable but given a conducive environment I feel Naseer is the better actor.

Incidentally here is a GOOD story from the Guardian
The Uma Thurman film so bad it made 88 on opening weekend | Film | The Guardian
WAY TO GO HOLLYWOOD!Finally your films are realizing their true value pound for pound....

In continuation of my earlier post I would not rate any film that Naseer has ever done as having provided him a 'conducive' environment.Perhaps Aakrosh,Albert Pinto,Sparsh,Manthan,Paar,Masoom,Jane Bhi Do etc came close.But I have had the privilege of watching him on stage in Gandhi Virudh Gandhi and Ismat Appa Ke Naam and I will always treasure those memories.The late Manohar Singh(Tughlaq,Himmat Mai,Begum Barve) was another tremendous unforgettable stage actor.
Other memorable performances for me were -
Chunibala Devi-Pather Panchali
Chabi Biswas in Jalsaghar
Om Puri in Ardh Satya/Aakrosh,
Smita Patil in Bhumika/Chakra/Mandi
Shabana Azmi in Ankur/Paar,
Amol Palekar in Spandan,
Utpal Dutt in Bhuvan Shome/Golmaal,
Raghuvir Yadav in Massey Sahib/Salaam Bombay,
Guru Dutt in Pyaasa/Kagaz Ke Phool/Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam
Amjad Khan in Sholay...

Angadi Theru

Just completed watching a Tamil Film called Angadi Theru (Means Market Street). Excellent movie and one of the best movies in Tamil. It's directed by Vasantabalan and we should appreciate and support him for taking up such a story line. The story is all about people who come from Southern Districts of Tamilnadu to work in Chennai's famous Ranganathan Street, T.Nagar. Excellent portrayal of the reality, although I felt in few places it was exaggerated. This film has everything in it - Love, Comedy, Sorrow in the right proportion. First half was usual racy and second half is where you're to watch some tragic moment and is slow. It's not a movie to watch for time-pass definitely, It has a strong message to remember and is one of the rare experience you get from Tamil films.

I would highly recommend this film for all Tamil speaking crowd.

Teky - that is on my list of movies to watch. On another note I am really happy that Tamil cinema has taken a turn towards reality and is not totally going ape on the lines of Bollywood with the hero always wearing designer clothes regardless of whether he is a pauper or a rock star. There were a bevy of films in recent times with stories of ordinary people with complete new comers. I like the trend. People's thoughts?

What I am going to say may not be to everyone's taste. Even the reviews are bad. But I did feel strongly about two movies I saw recently.

I usually avoid Horror movies. I just don't like the gore and the senseless violence. When I was young I used to 'haunt' haunted places hoping to meet with a ghost. I never met one. There have been inexplicable incidences - inexplicable because they needed more checking. For example, I have heard horses neighing in places I was told never had any horses.

Last week I came across a Hindi movie called 'Click'. Starring Shreyas Talpade, and Sada, the movie is directed by Sangeeth Sivan. The movie is about a photographer whose photographs show the presence of a entity that he cannot see with his naked eyes. The photographer is living with his girl friend who also starts seeing the entity in mirrors and photos. She starts trying to understand what the entity is saying and realises that it is trying to pass a message to her. The photographer, for example, has a crink on his shoulder, and when he goes for a health check up, his weight shows as 120KG. Remember Vikram Aur Betal?

Of course there is the usual nonsense associated with a horror. But I liked the basic theme. And once you understand that the entity means no needless harm, you actually become curious to understand what is happening.

I later realised that 'Click' was a scene by scene copy of a English movie called 'Shutter'. I actually liked the Hindi movie better as it avoids even the small amount of gore that is there in the English movie. But of course, the cinematography in better in Shutter.

For people who like Horror movies, this will be a refreshing change.

Cheers

Last edited:
Last week I came across a Hindi movie called 'Click'. Starring Shreyas Talpade, and Sada, the movie is directed by Sangeeth Sivan.
Cheers
I have seen the tamil version Sivi of the same movie some two years back. I also liked this thriller movie especially due to lack of gore & violence.
Sivi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I am going to say may not be to everyone's taste. Even the reviews are bad. But I did feel strongly about two movies I saw recently.

I usually avoid Horror movies. I just don't like the gore and the senseless violence. When I was young I used to 'haunt' haunted places hoping to meet with a ghost. I never met one. There have been inexplicable incidences - inexplicable because they needed more checking. For example, I have heard horses neighing in places I was told never had any horses.

Last week I came across a Hindi movie called 'Click'. Starring Shreyas Talpade, and Sada, the movie is directed by Sangeeth Sivan. The movie is about a photographer whose photographs show the presence of a entity that he cannot see with his naked eyes. The photographer is living with his girl friend who also starts seeing the entity in mirrors and photos. She starts trying to understand what the entity is saying and realises that it is trying to pass a message to her. The photographer, for example, has a crink on his shoulder, and when he goes for a health check up, his weight shows as 120KG. Remember Vikram Aur Betal?

Of course there is the usual nonsense associated with a horror. But I liked the basic theme. And once you understand that the entity means no needless harm, you actually become curious to understand what is happening.

I later realised that 'Click' was a scene by scene copy of a English movie called 'Shutter'. I actually liked the Hindi movie better as it avoids even the small amount of gore that is there in the English movie. But of course, the cinematography in better in Shutter.

Cheers

What is a horror movie without the gore and bloodbath? :) In fact recent horror movies have moved more towards slaughter and violence rather than the ghost stories..

The Hostel & SAW franchises, French Horror movies (Inside, Frontiers, Martyrs) are examples..

By the way, Venkat, you said two movies. Which is the other one? Is it "Shutter"?

Teky - that is on my list of movies to watch. On another note I am really happy that Tamil cinema has taken a turn towards reality and is not totally going ape on the lines of Bollywood with the hero always wearing designer clothes regardless of whether he is a pauper or a rock star. There were a bevy of films in recent times with stories of ordinary people with complete new comers. I like the trend. People's thoughts?

Please do watch the movie - This shouldn't be missed, especially the girls acting. I do agree in a way that we're turning towards reality, But off late I'm seeing too many movies trying to follow the same suite and some have failed miserably. But at least these kind of movies are refreshing for people who hate those bloody star doomed movies.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back