The Movies I Liked

Watched "Prince- Its showtime" today 1st day last show. Pathetic movie. My rating would be 4/10. Few things you could look out for in the movie are few songs specially "Tere Liye" (which is simply great to say the least), Aruna Shields (Looking too hot) and excellent cinamatography and camera work. Apart from that theres nothing there. If you are looking for logic then this isnt the movie. Even a 10 year old wouldnt be convinced at the sequences shown in the movie.

Below is the review of movie taken from the following website which correctly analyse the movie and I found it absolutely correct.

Code:
http://blog.bookmyshow.com/prince-not-suitable-for-any-showtime/266

Leather-clad men and women, high tech gadgets and deadly stunts. Recipe for a high profile action film, if executed correctly. Prince has all the ingredients but the recipe is a disaster!

Prince (Vivek Oberoi) is the worlds most intelligent and agile high profile thief, sought by investigative agencies and criminals alike. Before embarking on one of his robberies, he has a cheesy trademark line its showtime.

Prince wakes up one day in a beach house in Durban, South Africa, to find he has lost his memory to a point where he has to use the line Main kaun hoon? His servant, PK, tries to remind him but to no avail. Prince realises that there are a bunch of people behind this and he cannot trust anyone. The fact that he has three girls claiming to be his girlfriend, Maya, doesnt help either.

He soon learns that the object of everyones desire is a coin containing a microchip that has the ability to alter peoples memory. A cat and mouse game ensues, involving Prince, the CBI, IGRIP (a government research and investigation agency) and the most powerful white collar criminal in Durban- Sarang.

The stunts are far from slick and the plot is plain confused. There is no flow and the twists seem to be thrown in randomly, just like the songs. None of the girls can act and have been made to wear skimpy outfits and throw themselves at Vivek Oberoi. If Viveks expressions are anything to go by he doesnt seem too convinced about the movie himself. Sarang has no presence whatsoever for a man who has everyone cowering and seems most concerned about flaunting his blow dried mane.

One of the comments over heard was, Yeh action nahi, comedy hai! Comedy because its trying so hard its funny!

The protagonist may be called Prince but the movie is a pauper!

Contributed by Raashi Malhotra

Inland Empire (2006)

I did manage to sleep after watching this. Take a big jigsaw puzzle, throw them out in a non-linear and bizarre manner at the poor audience for 180 mins and you got this film. Compared to this, only EraserHead is more bizarre among David Lynch movies. Usually, I'd like to form theories as and when I see the movie for the first time. But with this film, after sometime, I just stopped thinking. I just sat through the movie and finished it. Other films of Lynch like "Lost Highway" or "Mulholland Dr" are a walk in the park compared to this.

Suddenly characters appear out of nowhere and ask "Who is she?" or say "I am not who you think I am", "People change all the time", "Names are unimportant". Then, there are a few scenes where different characters ask "Hey! Look at me. And tell me if you've known me before". Some 'clues' also appear during character interactions.

I think Lynch was basically trying to screw everybody's head. Sometimes during the film, I sensed Lynch trying to be witty - It's like "I am going to give you a clue" - Either the characters were thinking like the viewer or were talking to the viewer. I cannot write all the expletives I threw at him at those times :p To link them all by watching again could give some sense - if the allegory is taken into account.

Not as accessible as some of his other films. I think that's why it's got a lower rating in IMDB. For me, it's a film not to be missed by Lynch fans. But considering it's 180 minute running time and the maze of visuals it leads one through, it does require time, attention and patience.

Sutter Island (2010)

I would rate it as one of the *Best* suspense flicks I have ever seen. Movie starts with a slow pace initially but slowly grips you. You need to watch this without any disturbance/distractions around to follow it closely. Another Martin Scorsese masterpiece. Brilliant acting by Leonardo DiCaprio and Ben Kingsley.

Green Zone (2010) (Big Cinemas)

Plot : Discovering covert and faulty intelligence causes a U.S. Army officer to go rogue as he hunts for Weapons of Mass Destruction in an unstable region.

Its a Good Movie I enjoyed it.Movie Picks up the momentum from the very beginning scene and maintains the pace till the end.Narration and taking of the movie reminds us of the Bourne series but the plot and atmosphere is completely different and it engages us till the end.
Matt Damon is at his best so is the rest of the cast.
As most of the movie runs in dark,cinematography and lighting are excellent particularly on blasting scenes.
My only complaint is that shaky camera but its better than ultimatum on this area.

For the Fans of Bourne series, its a must watch.
My Rating : 8/10

Last edited:
Any follower of the Coen Brothers and Quentin Tarantino movies here?
I enjoyed these movies a lot:

Dir.: Joel and Ethan Coen:
Blood Simple (1984)
Raising Arizona (1987)
Miller's Crossing (1990)
Barton Fink (1991)
Fargo (1996)
The Big Lebowski (1998)
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
Burn After Reading (2008)
A Serious Man (2009)

Dir.: Quentin Tarantino:
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Jackie Brown (1997)
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)
Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)
Death Proof (2007)
Inglourious Basterds (2009)
:cool:

The Straight Story (1999)

The last of my select David Lynch films to watch (except shorts, TV series like "Twin Peaks" and of course, "Dune" ;)). It is nothing like a David Lynch movie. The term straight fits very well to the way of story telling as well. And this is based on a true story.

The movie is about Alvin Straight, who had a fight with his brother Lyle a decade ago. Alvin is 73, has a bad hip (when he falls, he could not stand up on his own), needs two canes to walk (because he refuses walker or medical tests), smokes against Doc's advice and in general, a very stubborn man. When he hears Lyle had a stroke, he decides to bury the hatchet, swallow his pride and decides to visit him.

He has no driver license, so he decides to make a trip of over 300 miles with his lawnmower. Now, there are plenty of elements in this real story and I could think of certain directors who could have made this a complete sentimental mess with tear-jerker flashbacks and tell the story in an altogether different manner.

David Lynch, however, along with beautiful camera work and some good music reveals whatever little we need to know in parts - through Alvin's conversations with others along the way, while keeping the focus on Alvin's trip itself. Sure there is a deer hitting "crazy" (overacting) woman for a few minutes. But, no clues to break my head over, no confusion over whether my theory is at least applicable, no misleading inserts - in all, a normal movie which can be watched by everybody.

The acting is all around good, not excessive. Sissy Spacek plays Alvin's daughter, Richard Fansworth as Alvin was in his last film (he died a year later) and plays the role to perfection. Though Victor Sjstrm's performance in "Wild Strawberries" is much more close to my heart (he too died a few month's after the movie's release), there's nothing to take away from Fansworth's performance.

How to Train you's Dragon 3D

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

A good animated movie. Nice 3D effects. Good story. At one point of time, some scenes remind us of Avatar.

cheers.

Hi,

Saw this movie again yesterday at Fame ShankarNag theater(it was a special screening for DreamWorks employees), and the movie experience was completely disappointing..... with bad screens, bad sound........ I've lost hopes on Indian Cinema Theaters........

cheers.

Any follower of the Coen Brothers and Quentin Tarantino movies here?
I enjoyed these movies a lot:

Dir.: Joel and Ethan Coen:
Blood Simple (1984)
Raising Arizona (1987)
Miller's Crossing (1990)
Barton Fink (1991)
Fargo (1996)
The Big Lebowski (1998)
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
Burn After Reading (2008)
A Serious Man (2009)

Dir.: Quentin Tarantino:
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Jackie Brown (1997)
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)
Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)
Death Proof (2007)
Inglourious Basterds (2009)
:cool:

I have seen most Coen bros and QT films, prefer Coen over QT although I was a bit disappointed with 'A Serious man'.

Just came back after watching this hilarious movie! The whole theater was roaring with laughter through out. If you are in the mood for a mindless action-comedy, do try this one. Make sure you go in with out any prejudice :)

Cheers.

Kagemusha by Akira Kurosawa - 1980

The old master at his best. A masterpiece.

kagemusha.jpg

Seven Pounds

Hi Guys,

Its an unusual movie to some extent. If you don't like sentimental dramas stay away from this movie.But if you are not averse to having a drop or two in your eyes when the movie ends watch this.I have always liked will smith.I love the way he emotes.Like our Kamal he is a star and an actor rolled into one.After Pacino he is my favourite:)

cheers,
sri

Hi All,

I saw this movie yesterday and I indeed felt wonderful! I urge if you are
1. Fan of Will Smith
2. Drama is your genre
to watch this movie and you won't regret. Let me summarize the story here for you friends, "Will Smith, after losing his girlfriend in a crash due to his using mobile while driving the car, becomes depressed and wants to kill himself. He fakes his brother's ID, who works for IRS (revenue dept.) and tries to help several people throughout the movie. He donates a part of his liver, one of his kidneys, his luxuriant beach house to a domestic voilence victim. Finally, after falling in love with a woman who is suffering from acute cardiomegaly and is in need of a transplant and is a perfect blood type match chosen by him, he kills himself by letting a box jellyfish sting and thereby donating his heart to the woman and his eyes, to a good-hearted blind man. He lits happiness in as many as 7 people's lives by his sacrifice.

This movie indirectly carries the message how organ donation helps others. Friends, organ donation is a very complicated process, even in well-developed countries like US. Even after getting a transplant, one can only postpone the danger and not get rid of them completely! I have been involved in backoffice/medical records prep. process for major US Hospitals and have seen many patient records with similar issues and so I could connect myself better to the movie.

From my perspective, I am not an atheist but I seldom go to temples, I believe in existence of God and all, but I feel I am closer to God every time I help the needy, fellow humanbeings. I always believe that God, as we see Him, as a creator, He does not expect anything from us in return. So, I think if we help others to survive in this planet that will be the ultimate thing that would make Him happy!

So, let us help others, especially the needy!

Cheers!

After all the heated debate, I felt this was the right movie for me and probably a lot of the members and so watched it.

Road-to-Sangam.jpg

The movie is a simple story involving Paresh Rawal who is an expert mechanic as well as Gen. Sec. in the local Mosque committee in Allahabad. One day he gets a request to repair an antique Ford V8 engine which he takes up. During the same time there is communal tension in the city due to a bomb blast and with innocent Muslims being targeted by the police.

Things take an interesting turn when Paresh Rawal comes to know of the significance of the engine and he decides to fight the order of the Mosque committee to do what he feels is his moral duty.

Nice acting by Paresh Rawal, Om Puri shines in a small role. Some parts of the movie do drag a bit but in the current context is a must-see.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back