The Movies I Liked

Thanks! that was already next on the list :)

And yes! I agree that his films will become much clearer and better with each viewing. Complex films like these are better watched once, allowed time for them to sink in, use that time to read other points of view from critics etc., and watch them out of the blue after a few weeks / months. With that gap, mind will observe new clues, reject some notions, form some new opinions and sometimes enjoy the film from a whole new perspective.

You expressed the very same thing I do with such genre of movies.Movies of this sort will leave lot of space for different point of view on individual basis.

Shutter Island(DVD)
Shutter Island (2010)
Plot:
Drama is set in 1954, U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels is investigating the disappearance of a murderess who escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane and is presumed to be hiding on the remote Shutter Island.

This 2hrs+ razor sharp and gripping movie gives you chilling experience and keep you at edge of the seat.Plot got twists at every stage, its the twist that comes towards last half an hour make this movie either you love it or hate it.Unfortunately I fall into later category, may be b'coz I am overly exposed to this kind of twists from Hollywood and world cinema.Frankly I suspected this kind of ending during the first hour, but since it is from Martin Scorsese expected a lot more.As it is already got a place in IMDB 250, I think its appealing to majority of audience.
Anyways its completely my opinion, actually many of you guys might like it even I liked this movie for its original idea and setup.

Regards
Satya.

As it is already got a place in IMDB 250, I think its appealing to majority of audience

IMHO, a place in IMDB Top 250 makes more sense after a year. In my Not so humble opinion however, some films do not make any sense in that list :p

But yeah! I get what you are trying to imply by that.

PS: Good to see somebody with "Dark City (Director's Cut)" :)

MOVIE: ORPHAN (2009)

orphan_movie_poster.jpg

There are plenty of shocks and the twist or secret is very original.

Man what a thriller. Just one word to brief, "AWESOME"

Last edited:
The Day the Earth Stood Still

Dr. Helen Benson is summoned to a military facility with several other scientist when an alien spacecraft of sorts arrives in New York City. Aboard is a human-like alien and a giant robot of immense size and power. The alien identifies himself as Klaatu and says he has come to save the Earth. The US military and political authorities see him as a threat however and decide to use so-called intensive interrogation techniques on him but Dr. Benson decides to facilitate his escape. When she learns exactly what he means when he says he is there to save the Earth, she tries to convince him to change his intentions.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)

Well, I was thinking no one watched David Lynch movies here. :)

esanthosh - Mulholland Drive is a classic. It is light years better than the other movies you mentioned. At least in my opinion. Hope this does not spoil it for you though.

Dont Look Now is another dark movie from him. Using visual media to shock and induce disbelief in the viewer is Lynch's forte. I doubt if there are others who can do better than him in this area.

idlebrain - maybe some other time we can discuss and compare notes to see what exactly we understood.

If you like abstract movies with masterful direction do not miss 'Memories of Murder'. A movie which left me and my better half with a sense of wonder, more than anything.

It is a foreign language movie - Asian. Eminently watchable. It is not exactly an extremely fast movie with lots of action sequences but nevertheless it is great to get into.

By the way I still do not understand what exactly you guys talk about when you say Ishqiya is slow moving and taken like a drama. It does belong to the drama genre actually :).

Perhaps an example as to why you thought it was slow may be required for me to understand?

If you like abstract movies with masterful direction do not miss 'Memories of Murder'. A movie which left me and my better half with a sense of wonder, more than anything.

It is a foreign language movie - Asian. Eminently watchable. It is not exactly an extremely fast movie with lots of action sequences but nevertheless it is great to get into.

Is it this movie?

I usually go chronologically to cover select movies of any director. But with Lynch, I had to be a little erratic - good to know that I am saving the best for the last.

Any comments on "Eraserhead"? Is it as weird as people say it is? Would I be "haunted" in dreams? ;)

If "Don't look now" is the same as this one, it's not directed by Lynch. But then, it seems to be another interesting movie to check out.

esanthosh - correct on both counts.

And yes, I wonder, I have subconsciously thought that Lynch directed 'Dont look now'. That was a film right down his lane.

Eraserhead is on my list of movies to see. I doubt if I would like it. I am not a big fan of gore for just the sake of it. I also sat through 'Inland Empire' halfway through. It is a very long movie and has an interesting concept. But I thought it was way too long. Someday I will finish it and then have my comments to share.

By the way I still do not understand what exactly you guys talk about when you say Ishqiya is slow moving and taken like a drama. It does belong to the drama genre actually :).

Perhaps an example as to why you thought it was slow may be required for me to understand?

Well heres the review that I had written on my blog-

Code:
http://vu-point.blogspot.com/2010/01/ishqiya-movie-review.html

As I have written in the review itself when you think about the story and the twists later it seems that the movie would be interesting.....but somehow when the movie was running it never caught attention and I never felt even a bit curious to know what would happen next!!

Also you can term it as "difference of opinion" as we all have varied tastes and choices. :D

Just read the review, Sanchit. Lets just say that I disagree :).

I see the movie as truly groundbreaking. Why, you ask? Because to my mind, I do not recall any other Hindi movie of recent vintage trying to even convey to the audience that there is always some grey between the black and the white. Our Bollywood heroes are always good and stand for the whitest of whites and the villains are always evil and stand for the darkest shades of the human heart.

Ishqiya subtly changes that trend and introduces some much needed realism into its script. Life is not artifiically exciting. It just happens. So even the 'essay-like' narration actually appeals to me exactly because it is just natural.

Note that last scene where the behan-ji actually asks for Nasseerudin to be
excecuted. That is one amazing scene - when you consider that it was to that lady's mercy that Nasseerudin kept on appealing for the better part of the movie to not get shot by her husband.

It kind of typifies the whole movie. Even the mature way in which the love triangle was handled was noteworthy.

Well - you can consider me properly biased. But I have been waiting for a long time to see Bollywood movies which are more natural and not forced. This did it for me. :)

PS: Good to see somebody with "Dark City (Director's Cut)" :)

I feel movies of this kind has to be "Expereinced".For this particular movie, Blu ray transfer is brilliant in all departments.

idlebrain - maybe some other time we can discuss and compare notes to see what exactly we understood.
Surely thevortex, maybe once esanthosh watched this we can share our conclusions.

Last edited:
Just read the review, Sanchit. Lets just say that I disagree :).

I see the movie as truly groundbreaking. Why, you ask? Because to my mind, I do not recall any other Hindi movie of recent vintage trying to even convey to the audience that there is always some grey between the black and the white. Our Bollywood heroes are always good and stand for the whitest of whites and the villains are always evil and stand for the darkest shades of the human heart.

Ishqiya subtly changes that trend and introduces some much needed realism into its script. Life is not artifiically exciting. It just happens. So even the 'essay-like' narration actually appeals to me exactly because it is just natural.

Note that last scene where the behan-ji actually asks for Nasseerudin to be
excecuted. That is one amazing scene - when you consider that it was to that lady's mercy that Nasseerudin kept on appealing for the better part of the movie to not get shot by her husband.

It kind of typifies the whole movie. Even the mature way in which the love triangle was handled was noteworthy.

Well - you can consider me properly biased. But I have been waiting for a long time to see Bollywood movies which are more natural and not forced. This did it for me. :)

Spot on, and very well put. I found the movie script quite refreshing too.

That is a good plan, idlebrain.

So, esanthosh we are waiting for you to watch Mulholland Drive :). By the way I love the songs featuring in this film too.

karthik-calling-karthik-poster.jpg

Was a refreshing first half of a loser finding his way up through a mysterious caller. However, things turn ugly when he reveals to his lady love of his mysterious caller. Found some of the dialogs really fresh and nice, acting was ok. End could have been handled better. Overall better than your average B town fare.

Mulholland Drive (2001)

I could not wait to watch this movie after what thevortex and idlebrain remarked. My mind is going to be occupied with this movie for a while. I definitely need to watch this again in order to gather more clues/evidence to what I think it might be :o

Films like this, which offer great visual clues make me really happy. There are countless explanations that can be offered based on psycho-analysis, metaphysics, reality, religion, a combination of everything and nothing. The film is a "straight" film till about the last 20-30 mins or so. Then it twists and turns and overturns every suspicion or theory we had in mind. David Lynch is, to my mind, one of the better, if not among the best users of the "visual" part of the cinematic medium.

I chose not to write anything about the story lines etc., Because, I'd have to then write about the discussions I have with myself about what really is the story ;). It's for each person to watch, feel and decipher.

Easily my "Movie of the month".

Eraserhead (1976)

34 years after it has been made, this movie still seems to have power left in it. From this point on, whenever I think of the terms "bizarre", "weird", I will remember Eraserhead. The constant industrial background noise, uncharacteristic characters, inexplicable visual onslaughts make this film unique. Jack Nance, the "Eraserhead" has raised eye brows and widened eyes permanently plastered on his face for most of the film, which the audience would no doubt share. This is not a movie you want to see if you like linear story lines. It's a form of rather (bizarre) art that you cannot appreciate or make head and tails of it unless you put yourself in the shoes of the man who made this as his first film.

Not a film I'd recommend to everybody (or even anybody). But, if you are in a mood to let go of what you think makes a film, is as twisted in the head like me (which is subjective) and can take a barrage of weirdo things on screen for 90 mins, take a chance.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back