The Movies I Liked

The Descent: Part 2 (2009)
Watched Descent 2 today.

I kind of liked the Descent for its originality and character buildup even it has a strong gore and blood shed.
Descent 2 is a direct sequel to the original one, starts off from where the previous one was left.It continues same gore and thrills like its earlier version, I liked the twist in the later half.

Good watch for Horror movie fans.
P.S Should have strong stomach for its Gore and blood shed.

a-serious-man-poster.jpg

Liked in parts, I felt I have seen much better movies from the Coen brothers

ARMORED (thriller)

the story is about a crew of officers working for a Armored transport security firm who find themselves at the middle of an ultimate hiest against thier own company

Armed with a solid fool proof plan they plan on making off with the fortune without causing harm to anyone. But unexpected things happen and thier plan fails and hell breaks loose,and each of the friends must fight to survive on a battle ground made of steel

This one may be one of the B grade movies but it definetly keeps you on the edge ---good fun

Armored (2009)

This one may be one of the B grade movies but it definetly keeps you on the edge ---good fun

By a strange coincidence, I also saw the movie yesterday. And I agree with Subhash. The first few minutes are a little boring, but the movie really picks up after that. Columbus Short does a good job as Ty Hackett, the main protagonist in the movie. From displaying fear, to desperation, and a sneaky comeback of his military capabilities - all are displayed well. What I liked was the lack of 'hero can never be hurt' concept. The last scene where he is expecting to be arrested, and the cops just walk away is really good.

My only issue with the movie was why did actors like Jean Reno and Laurence Fishburne take such lowly roles? Jean's role in this movie is nothing compared to what he did in Ronin, and Laurence is not even a patch of his acting in the Matrix. Something fishy here.

Cheers

Last edited:
War [2007][Bluray]

War (2007)

A good Action/Crime movie. Strange casting, Jet Li against Jason Statham. Story is bearable, but some good action scenes. First time Jet Li to cast in a negative role I guess.

cheers.

War [2007][Bluray]
A good Action/Crime movie. Strange casting, Jet Li against Jason Statham. Story is bearable, but some good action scenes. First time Jet Li to cast in a negative role I guess.

Actually the producer/director wanted a repeat of the fantastic success of 'The One' in which the same pair act. Unfortunately they could not repeat the plot nor the action. I am a die hard Jet Li and Jason Statham fan and I will see any movie in which they act. When they act together - it is just Wow! for me.

BTW, Jet Li has acted in many negative roles. The One, Romeo Must Die, he Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, and Lethal Weapon 4 for example. Of course, when as a Chinese you go to the US for revenge, it is difficult to decide what is right and what is wrong.

Cheers

War [2007][Bluray]

War (2007)

cheers.
Actually towards the end when the real motives explored, its Jason Statham turns to be negative. Can we still say Jet Li is the negative in the movie?Just for the sake of discussion:).

Hi,

Watched Resident Evil Trilogy (Blu-ray) last week, and yesterday, watched Resident Evil Apocalypse in my big screen again! While there is nothing to wow regarding theme of the movie and it is just the viral bioweapon and the dead-turned-zombie story, there are some pretty good SFX in the movie. The PQ and SQ are good especially in the first version and the last (extinction), the second is pretty normal.

If your genre is horror/action, it is a must-watch. I liked this movie than "28 weeks later", because I just could not imagine a bloody-thirsty zombie running faster than me, even in movies, so scary!:ohyeah: In this movie, zombies are slower than the normal human beings, so you can be sure that at least one will be alive at the end of the movie.

"28 Weeks Later" - I would say a real horror movie! Zombies run faster than you, a bite would turn anyone into a zombie within a minute or two, :sad::sad:

Cheers!

Actually towards the end when the real motives explored, its Jason Statham turns to be negative. Can we still say Jet Li is the negative in the movie?Just for the sake of discussion:).

You are right, but Jason's action can be referred to as 'a slip of tongue'. After all he is a policeman and Jet Li is a hired killer.

Cheers

Law abiding Citizen
Law Abiding Citizen (2009)

This is a fantastic thriller.I liked this movie a lot.

Synopsis : A Victim who, ten years after his wife and daughter are brutally raped and murdered, returns to extract justice from the assistant district attorney who prosecuted the case against their killers. His vengeance threatens not only the man who allowed mercy to supersede justice, but also the system and the city that made it so.

Victim - Gerard Butler; assistant district attorney - Jamie Foxx

Through out the movie I stick with Gerard Butler's actions.Actually I want him to win in this Cat and mouse game even though ending is different.

My Favourites out of the ones I saw over the last month...

1. The Hurt Locker (2008)

Brilliant movie .. about a US Army Bomb Disposal unit in Iraq. This won quite a few awards for its director too.!

2. Up in the Air (2009/I)

Brilliant movie - wonderful acting. Again highlighting the life of a corporate 'firer'.

3. The Hangover (2009)

An outrageous comedy about four friends and their pre-nuptial misadventures.

4. It's Complicated (2009)

Hilarious comedy

Over the past two days,

Watchmen (2009)

Part of my 'experiment' of ordering used DVDs from Spun.com. Those who liked the movie seem to have read the Graphic novel as well. They comment that it's a faithful reproduction of the novel.

So, how did it fare for me? I won't say it's either awesome or too boring. Special FX are good as one would expect. The movie unwinds very slowly to get going and is more about the characters than about "crime fighting super-heroes". At 162 minutes, the film is already long. I just wonder how the Ultimate edition at 215 minutes would be :indifferent14:. The narrative and style of filming reminded me of "Sin City" (again based on a graphic novel). Rorschach is a character I liked because he sees the world in plain black and white and also contributes some gore to the film. Dr. Manchester (Billy Crudup) has some cool super powers I want to have ;) I would say 6/10 for me.

Changeling (2008) on HBO

This one is yet another good film by Clint Eastwood. Angelina Jolie as a mom fighting against the corrupt police department to find her lost son? - I was skeptical going in. But then, Clint Eastwood seems to extract good things out of his actors. John Malkovich had nothing much to do except lend some support as the reverand who fights against the uncaring LA administration. What I really liked is the 1920-30's setting which did not cry out loud as CG, but instead blends in. The true story was non-fatiguing to sit through as the narrative was tight without straying too much from what it wanted to convey. I'd say 8/10.

Pan's Labyrinth

Kudos to Guillermo del Toro for writing and directing this film. From what little I knew, I was expecting an out and out fantasy film. But it was like the sides of a coin - the ugly real life interspersed with a fantasy world. But the things are common - questions of trust in both worlds, monsters in human form and in the fantasy world, obeying authority Vs independent judgment. It is a nice visual treat as well.

Damn! these kind of films make me want to spend money on upgrading to larger screens :sad: But then crappy movies remain crappy even on 150" AMOLED screens. So better be good films on my 29" CRT than that :p

Last edited:
The Book of Eli CineMax

The Book of Eli (2010)

Plot :
Eli is a peaceful man who only acts in self defense, and becomes a warrior with unbelievable killing skills when he is challenged. After the war and the "Big Flash", Eli was guided by a higher power to a hidden book and given the task of protecting the book and taking it to its final destination. Eli guards the book with his life, because he knows that the book is the only hope that humanity has for its future.

Look of the film reminds us the Madmax : The Road Warrior but that similarity ends there. Story line of the movie is completely different.It starts as an average movie but last 30mins turns it into amazing movie.
Background score is brilliant. Action scenes are descent what makes them even special is Denzel Washington.

If you are a fan of Denzel Washington's Man on Fire this movie is a must watch.

Rating 7/10

Last edited:

Vortex's convincing review prompted me to watch this move. Very impressive effort for an Indian movie to go to such length.

Quick doubts:
1. How did Reema Sen manage to get that Tiger tattoo flashing on her back if she is not the real messenger?
2. Where did the bullet vanish that hits Karthi's chest when Reema Sen shoots him during their weirdo moments?

Oops - completely missed this, Unleash_me. Glad you got to see this.

About your questions, one can only surmise:

1) Since she is a 'Pandian' by birth we can probably guess that she has developed powers of impersonating a Chola messenger.

2) The bullet gets removed by the medicine men in the Chola netherworld and that is when he is hung out for the King's inspection.

The movie has a lot of other imperfections, but like I said in the review, I liked the intent. I dont think it got the credit it deserved, sadly.

Antichrist

A couple lose their young son when he falls out the window while they have sex in the other room. The mother's grief consigns her to hospital, but her therapist husband brings her home intent on treating her depression himself. To confront her fears they go to stay at their remote cabin in the woods, "Eden", where something untold happened the previous summer. Told in four chapters with a prologue and epilogue, the film details acts of lustful cruelty as the man and woman unfold the darker side of nature outside and within.

Antichrist (2009)

This movie actually had a few beautiful vistas and some lovely camera work. Pity it was all spoiled by some really inexplicable sexual deprivation scenes. It is not as if the movie even attempts to explain clearly why the heroine does what she does. If the aim is to hit the viewer hard, this will do the job.

And before I forget, I read somebody reviewing Ishqiya in this thread and giving it a 5/10. I thought that was blasphemous :). (No offense meant)

A very mature movie! It almost looks out of place with all the Khan movies and Akshay Kumar and Shahid Kapur movies. Arshad Warsi and Vidya Balan shock the viewers with their acting abilities while Nasseruddin Shah could have done this role in his sleep. Still, a poignant performance from him.

Overall I tend to think this is a movie ahead of its age as far as Bollywood is concerned. But this is a step in the right direction. Just my view.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back