The Movies I Liked

Hostage

In a small town in California, the chief of police Jeff Talley is facing relationship problems with his teenager daughter. One year later, he was the prime police negotiator in Los Angeles, but after an unsuccessful negotiation, he gave-up his position and decided to move with his family to a calmer life. When three punks invade the house of Walter Smith, a wealthy accountant, and jeopardize his family, holding them hostage, Jeff's family is abducted by powerful criminals to force him to retrieve a DVD with bank accountings' information kept in Walter's office.

Hostage (2005/I)

Last edited:
The Prestige

A mysterious story of two magicians whose intense rivalry leads them on a life-long battle for supremacy -- full of obsession, deceit and jealousy with dangerous and deadly consequences. From the time that they first met as young magicians on the rise, Robert Angier and Alfred Borden were competitors. However, their friendly competition evolves into a bitter rivalry making them fierce enemies-for-life and consequently jeopardizing the lives of everyone around them. Set against the backdrop of turn-of-the-century London.

The Prestige (2006)

The Brothers Bloom

Brothers - older Stephen and three years junior Bloom - have been con artists since they were kids. Stephen is the mastermind, for who the intricacy of the story used in the con is as important as the positive outcome of the swindle. Bloom is the main character of Stephen's stories, the character he considers the anti-hero. As adults, they travel the world and never enlist the same people twice in their cons, except for their consistent sidekick, the mysterious and primarily silent Bang Bang, a Japanese woman who just appeared in their lives one day and who has a penchant for blowing things up. As Bloom hits his mid-thirties, he wants to quit the business as he is losing his own identity to that of the characters he portrays; he doesn't know anymore what is real and what is make-believe. Stephen talks him into one last con, the mark to be the eccentric, lonely but beautiful New Jersey heiress, Penelope Stamp. Penelope's primary past-time in life is to, as she calls it, "borrow hobbies": when she sees something she likes, she learns how to do it solely through reading books. As the brothers go through their final con on Penelope, three main problems may occur to thwart the plan. First, the brothers' former mentor and now arch enemy, Diamond Dog, may exact his long awaited revenge on the brothers. Second, Penelope may end up being more unpredictable than all their former marks. And third, Bloom, who has let love slip by in his life, may fall for Penelope. But through the process, no one ever really knows who is conning who.

The Brothers Bloom (2008)

Law Abiding Citizen Blu-ray (2009)

As one of the murderer of his wife and kid has been let off clyde takes on the law into his own hands and chops the guy up into 25 pieces, and takes on the prosecutor who let the murderers with a light sentence
clyde takes on the whole lot of corrupt system sitting very well inside a prison cell

Gerald butler (clyde) and jamie fox( prosecuter) are good ,so is the Blu ray transfer , audio on dolby true HD is fantastic

wud rate it --5/10, good for a one time watch, the movie does have some very good moments
scenes to watch out --the cell phone with the judge
--car blasts outside the prison
--attack on the prosecutor at the funeral
--climax scene

overall--a solid rental recomendation

Last edited:
Poseidon [2006][Bluray]

Poseidon (2006)

A typical disaster oriented movie. Story is OK. But some real good visual effects. The ship in the first sequence is entirely CG. Very good SQ. One time watchable.

cheers.

Infernal Affairs (2002)

The HK original of "The Departed". While "The Departed" is a well made movie, I liked this original better. The movie is much shorter, plot is a little more tight, background score & camera work are good as well. I read that "The Departed" is inspired by the entire series, not just the first part.

I do not remember "Departed" that well. But to me some differences are:

1. The Girl Friends are separate. Andy Lau's (Matt Damon's Character) girl friend is a writer who is trying to write about a "man with 28 personalities" (or the subtitle is wrong ;)). Yan (Leonardo Di Caprio's character) likes the psychiatrist he visits regularly. He does not talk / reveal anything about him until very late into the movie. He just comes there, sleeps during the entire session and leaves while she plays computer games.
  2. I don't remember the lead characters meeting each other before in "Departed". Here, Yan "works" in a Hi-Fi shop. Lau visits for buying a Tube Amp + Speakers. They audition and talk about "feeling the music coming towards you". In the end, Yan sells only the tube amplifier (for 10 grand, if I remember correctly) asking Lau to get the speakers cheaply from some other place.
  3. I do not remember how many years DiCaprio is under-cover. But, in IA, the cop is under cover for a decade, the last three working under the "boss".
  4. There are some other differences in the plot as well. But, I need to see "IA2" + watch "The Departed" again before confirming about all the differences. But then again, why spoil everything for those who have not managed to catch up on either? :rolleyes:

martyrs.jpg

One of the goriest movies I have seen in recent times.. A secret society inflicts horrible tortures on young women to enable them to transcend the barrier between life and death while still remaining alive. They do this to find out what exactly happens after death.

Strictly not recommended for viewers who cannot see people being skinned alive..

Last edited:
Last night I saw Terminator Salvation. Really liked the movies. The action was decent and the movie had a lot of human aspect in it - love affection, caring etc. With 'Rise Of The Machine', the terminator series was starting look more of CG and nothing else. I am glad the human aspect has been brought back.

The Sony DVD is of good quality both in terms of the images and audio. The release comes with a free copy of Terminator 3, and I am going to see that tonight (again).

Cheers

Watched this nice movie y'day. Not a fun movie but certainly worth a watch. Surprisingly good performance from Cameron Diaz, who I never really considered a good actress till now. Watch out for the scene where Kate comes down dressed up for the hospital's prom night. Her father's expression seeing her like that is priceless.

Watched "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". A good comedy about breakups with a "how to take it like a man" thought. The movie has a very good real world feel to it and the characters bring about this feel brilliantly.
The makers have in the past been well acclaimed for movies with such real world stories and characters. You just can't help but relate so easily to them.
Definitely a must watch.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008)

Attachments

• MV5BMTI3NjI4OTA1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM4MzQ4MQ@@__V1__SX100_SY140_.jpg
    MV5BMTI3NjI4OTA1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM4MzQ4MQ@@__V1__SX100_SY140_.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Last night I saw Terminator Salvation. Really liked the movies. The action was decent and the movie had a lot of human aspect in it - love affection, caring etc. With 'Rise Of The Machine', the terminator series was starting look more of CG and nothing else. I am glad the human aspect has been brought back.

The Sony DVD is of good quality both in terms of the images and audio. The release comes with a free copy of Terminator 3, and I am going to see that tonight (again).

Cheers

if you liked this on dvd get the BD of terminator salvation you would like it even better

jude-law-sherlock-holmes-movie-poster-02.jpg

Saw the new Sherlock Holmes by Guy Ritchie.

Was surprised with the twists to the well known characterizations of sherlock holmes and watson. The twists and turns keep one glued till the very end.

The acting by Robert Downey Jr. and Jude law also made this a worthwhile watch.

Hi

I watched SAVIOR yesterday it is a film about Serbia and Crotia war acted by Denise Quid, boy what a performance and for human value and what war does to people it is a classic.

Regards

Sub

Video: Panny 32 LCD, PS3, Sony DVP-NS78H, Samsung DVD-P365H, WDTV, Big TV.
Audio: Yamaha RX-V661, Sansui G-5000, Hand Made Towers for stereo, Pioneer Linear Power for HT with Onkyo SL-107 powered sub.

my first post in this thread..stumbled upon on this movie "witness for the prosecution" on my old movie collections..I recommend this movie for people who enjoy intense court room drama and of course Agatha Christie fans..do watch out for Charles Laughton...10/10 and highly recommended :thumbsup::thumbsup:(in roger ebert's style)

Movie_poster_for_%22Witness_for_the_Prosecution%22.jpg

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back