Amazon.de - amazing service, best prices, same 220V - 5 days delivery

By the way, one of my speakers also arrived damaged in Bangalore. UPS sent it off from the hub via some local tempo and they were throwing around the packages like crazy.

Amazon is willing to replace it, but the onus of sending it back is on me. Customs forms in Germany and the cost to ship it back (which will be reimbursed after it reaches amazon) is the pain. Wondering if I should just let it go :-)

uh oh! the perils of shopping big, delicate items from a far of land...coming out now.

I really hope you guys get your issues resolved without spending a lot of money...at the very least ask Amazon.de to ship the replacement free (are they doing that already?) as you have to bear the cost of shipping the defective piece back to them as well...

BTW...Vinayaga, how bad is the damage? If it is cosmetic and does not affect the sound, maybe you can just live with it...and figure out a way to do cosmetic surgery on it...what say?

A different story---
I ordered JBL Sub from Amazon.de . It shipped from Germany on 6th March and reached India on 7th March. But then it was there at UPS for a long time and after reaching UPS they told me that they dont have direct delivery at Rohtak Haryana ( Where I am currently based )

Kindly comment friends about this queer happening...
Shall I get delivery at Delhi ?

Its better you get the delivery at Delhi .. Because UPS might have shipped it properly but the 3rd party local logistic guys may be the ones who have damaged the sub..

Yes, that is what Im doing now. The front panel is a little loose at one corner, but the sound is perfect as far as my ears can hear. A bit of paper padding to the inside should probably fix it as the other corners are nice and tidy. A little creek is visible at the top right point where the ends of the speakers meet, can live with that.

And the front sleeve is broken, but I do not care about that as I like my speakers naked :-)

I got a few queries as to which speakers I got from Amazon, Im a JBL fan and got the JBL E80 fronts :licklips:

uh oh! the perils of shopping big, delicate items from a far of land...coming out now.

I really hope you guys get your issues resolved without spending a lot of money...at the very least ask Amazon.de to ship the replacement free (are they doing that already?) as you have to bear the cost of shipping the defective piece back to them as well...

BTW...Vinayaga, how bad is the damage? If it is cosmetic and does not affect the sound, maybe you can just live with it...and figure out a way to do cosmetic surgery on it...what say?

Yes, that is what Im doing now. The front panel is a little loose at one corner, but the sound is perfect as far as my ears can hear. A bit of paper padding to the inside should probably fix it as the other corners are nice and tidy. A little creek is visible at the top right point where the ends of the speakers meet, can live with that.

And the front sleeve is broken, but I do not care about that as I like my speakers naked :-)

I got a few queries as to which speakers I got from Amazon, Im a JBL fan and got the JBL E80 fronts :licklips:

get a new cloth cover for it with chains in the corners so you can open it anytime....i got this sub with cherry colour & since i always like black & all the material near side is black, i selected a nice & expensive velvet kinda black material & got a cover made for it with chains & it looks very nice & no diff in sound output even if the face is closed..:D this way you can hide the creek

By the way, one of my speakers also arrived damaged in Bangalore. UPS sent it off from the hub via some local tempo and they were throwing around the packages like crazy.

Amazon is willing to replace it, but the onus of sending it back is on me. Customs forms in Germany and the cost to ship it back (which will be reimbursed after it reaches amazon) is the pain. Wondering if I should just let it go :-)

Now this is a real startling .
I had asked in my mails to Amzon.de regarding what should I do to original item. But they have not responded to this particular query. So technically they said they are saying that they are sending new sub to me ( at additional cost of 50 euro) but nothing on whats to be done with original sub. Time will unravel several mysteries including question of internet purchasing safety...

Hi Vine,

I too purchased Denon at the same time and got it for below 30K, exactly the same day they mentioned it was delivered at home in Bangalore. They give the tracking number of UPS, and you can exactly know at each day where it has arrived. It was really thrilling experience, though I took a risk. As you mentioned no hurdles of plugging Indian Adaptor. Everything went very smooth and I could easily start playing Denon-1912.

But the point to check is if the dealer is directly from Amazon then you will get it for low price, other dealers charge more. Now I checked Denon-1912 it is not available from Amazon.de, only from other dealers.

Also, I wanted to buy Panasonic BDT110 Blu-ray player, and it cost only 12K from Amazon.de, but in India it cost 17K. Now Amazon doesn't have stock.
Has anybody bought Panasonic from Amazon. Please share some info if any of you have purchased it.

Well, we cannot be greedy just because Amazon is wiling to go the extra mile to send you a replacement even before you ship the original item back. So yes, technically the item is to be sent back in parallel to their sending you a replacement. They are also willing to refund the shipping costs, it will be done the moment the item lands back in the address they gave for return shipping.

I have dealt with them a lot across various countries. The process locks up some time and money from our side, but when the refunds happen finally, you are back to square one and have a good product. That is the Amazon culture.

By the way, be wary of the fact that if you do not ship back the product beyond a cutoff date, they put a debit hold on the credit card that was originally used. Basically reflecting the fact that you have two products sitting with you. And removing the card from your account file does not work as the card is tied to the old order :-)

Now this is a real startling .
I had asked in my mails to Amzon.de regarding what should I do to original item. But they have not responded to this particular query. So technically they said they are saying that they are sending new sub to me ( at additional cost of 50 euro) but nothing on whats to be done with original sub. Time will unravel several mysteries including question of internet purchasing safety...

Euro going up against INR, touching 68 almost. its becoming non feasible to buy from amazon.de now. moreover the best deal available for us was the denon 1912 @ 379, which is also not available anymore at that price. the ones available for ready delivery are priced 449.!
hope things get back to normal soon...

Euro going up against INR, touching 68 almost. its becoming non feasible to buy from amazon.de now. moreover the best deal available for us was the denon 1912 @ 379, which is also not available anymore at that price. the ones available for ready delivery are priced 449.!
hope things get back to normal soon...

It should get normalised once the Denon 's 2012 lineup is announced. Should be very soon,, April 2nd week to May 1st week

Guys, I have a question here !! (Pardon my lack of knowledge on international deliveries.)

I have a friend in Frankfurt who is supposed to return India at the end of April.
If I order something on Amazon.de (let's say Denon AVR) and get it delieverd to my friend in Frankfurt. Will he be able to bring the box here in India without paying any extra charges (such as customs) apart from the luggage charges put up by Airline ?

Last edited:
Hey all, tried buying Yamaha RXV671 and RXA810 on amazon.de, but they wont ship to India. Any changes come about recently in their policy?

if you can prove to the customs that the converted price of the equipment is less than INR 35k (increased from 25k in this budget), show them the bill etc. they ll let you through without paying custom duty. also if your total luggage weight is less than 30kg (in case of most airlines) you wont be charged for luggage as well.!

There is a very bleak chance that Customs will let him through with a receiver in hand. He will definitely pay as customs duty, maybe a little less than Amazon. All you get is a saving on the EUR 40 shipping charges.

And if something breaks with the check in baggage, you will have trouble sending it back to Amazon and asking for a replacement (replacement will ship to same address where the original piece was delivered).

In short, not worth the hassle.

I have a friend in Frankfurt who is supposed to return India at the end of April. If I order something on Amazon.de (let's say Denon AVR) and get it delieverd to my friend in Frankfurt. Will he be able to bring the box here in India without paying any extra charges (such as customs) apart from the luggage charges put up by Airline ?

Is it the grill/mount or the speaker enclosure itself? You do not want a damaged enclosure where the air-seal is damaged.

Post some pics if possible?

if you can prove to the customs that the converted price of the equipment is less than INR 35k (increased from 25k in this budget), show them the bill etc. they ll let you through without paying custom duty. also if your total luggage weight is less than 30kg (in case of most airlines) you wont be charged for luggage as well.!

I think the allowed weight is 23 Kgs... So if the AVR is heavier than that he might have to pay up 150$ for excess baggage... It has happened to me when I was traveling to canada...

There is a very bleak chance that Customs will let him through with a receiver in hand. He will definitely pay as customs duty, maybe a little less than Amazon. All you get is a saving on the EUR 40 shipping charges.

And if something breaks with the check in baggage, you will have trouble sending it back to Amazon and asking for a replacement (replacement will ship to same address where the original piece was delivered).

Actually if he ends up paying customs then he would acutally get it costlier.. remember if he takes delivery in europe then vat is not deducted(atleast I dont think it is)... So instead of paying customs on -20% vat deducted price he might have to pay customs on original cost... Anyway I do feel the AVR is well within the 35k limit so I dont think he will have to pay customs... Although his total savings even without paying customs is too small to be worth the hassle... Its better to order online & get it delivered by amazon...

I
Actually if he ends up paying customs then he would acutally get it costlier.. remember if he takes delivery in europe then vat is not deducted(atleast I dont think it is)... So instead of paying customs on -20% vat deducted price he might have to pay customs on original cost... Anyway I do feel the AVR is well within the 35k limit so I dont think he will have to pay customs... Although his total savings even without paying customs is too small to be worth the hassle... Its better to order online & get it delivered by amazon...

Thanks for the answers. So it seems it's kind of risk and I should better not take such risks. According to Nindo, there is a hope...yet I believe I ain't so lucky, so better I shouldn't take this risk !!
However I'll still talk to my friend mentioning all these possibilities. If he agrees on positive side... I'll give him this opportunity, because he always wants to prove the brotherhood between us (In Hindi....Tu Bhai hai...Tere Liye Kuchh Bhi !).

Last edited:

have a small doubt on this statement...how does it matter if its a receiver or something else (legal)...the custom duty is paid on the INR value of the product. If there is no bill then the custom duty is calculated based on the estimated value of this product locally- and the customs officials at the airport have a list if "estimated price" of almost all products that can be brought in legally. of course if you have the bill- its simple, they also have the existing exchange rate for almost all currencies- convert it and you have the INR value. after this budget the threshold has been raised to INR 35000 for indian citizens returning from a foreign travel.

i had got my AVR (guess in 2005) from Dubai in a similar way- had the bill- so was let out without paying any duty cos it costed less than INR 25k.

please comment if anyone has had other experiences.!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back