new subwoofer help

If you want to use the Audyssey calibrated settings, you can either use Reference or Flat. You can try out both and see which one you like better. Off turns off Audyssey calibrated settings.

I once again advice you to turn Dynamic EQ on.

You have asked somewhere if Full Range will hurt your speakers. It will not. Full Range is what happens when you play your speakers via a stereo amp. Will your speakers be able to play full range is a different question. If your speakers are not able to play full range, they will distort at higher volumes. This is where speaker crossover come to the picture in AVRs.

If your speaker is not able to play full range, ie, frequencies from 20Hz to 20 Khz, then you can imagine what happens if you try to send the .1 frequencies in the range of 3Hz to 120 Hz in movies to your speakers.
i have dali opticon 2 mk2 with range 59hz-25000hz

These settings will always apply. Will not only apply in pure direct mode i guess.
THere if we dont set crossover of front to full range the bass wont be played.
If you are worried full range might hurt the speaker, then use the distribution setting to -20db. This distribution will reduce the amount of LFE going to front speakers. In the distribution setting on the bottom of the screen its mentioned what it does.
If we dont set front to full range those frequency will not reach subwoofer (LFE+main).
And you will be keep posting without a solution. Beating around the bush
Hi can you tell while adjusting phase where do i put my mobile to run sound meter app

i have dali opticon 2 mk2 with range 59hz-25000hz
This speaker most definitely will not play full range.

The point I am trying to make is that, for a beginner like you, it is always better to fully understand what each and every setting that you are using does, read up as much as you can on the net and initially try the settings advocated by Audyssey in their site, which is https://ask.audyssey.com/hc/en-us. Make sure that you read each and every line of Audyssey 101.

Once you have set this up, listen to it for a while, even for a month or so. Only after this, if you feel you need more bass or such, then you should be changing the settings to your preference and not before that. Of course, needless to say, this is my opinion.

Bass as imagined by a beginner is totally different from what seasoned listeners expect from Bass. If you set your system right, a car door closing will sound like a car door closing. If you want the car door closing to sound like a bomb going off, then it is your preference and you can make it sound so by tweaking the settings later on.

The Blu-ray of Spectre that you have is a good one to test bass. I have the Blue-ray too. The opening scene where the building collapses is a scary scene. At reference volumes, it might give a person with a weak heart, a heart attack !!!!

In this scene, when the building falls, I go "Oh my !!! the building is falling ...!!!" If you go "Oh my !!! My sub is playing ... !!!" then you still might have some work to do.

The LPF for LFE is not a brick wall. Comments from Roger Dressler (formerly of Dolby Labs) and Mark Seaton on why setting the LPF for LFE lower than 120 Hz can be helpful are here and here respectively.
If I am not mistaken, he is talking of setting LPF to 80 as a compromise between 5.1 movies and 5.1 music where he says that 5.1 music sounds better with LPF to 80.

I would still set it to 120 Hz as I don't listen to 5.1 music. Good to know though, thanks.

What audyssey labs say:
https://ask.audyssey.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347523-Bass-Management-and-LFE-NOT-the-same-thing

Audyssey LabsNovember 03, 2009 04:20
If you have a subwoofer in your system, you should always use bass management in the AVR. Unfortunately this is not always the default setting and several manufacturers still insist on setting speakers to “Large” or “Full Range”. Doing so will prevent bass from being redirected to your subwoofer from the satellite channels. Audyssey recommends to manually change all speakers to “Small” (i.e. set a crossover frequency for each speaker in the manual settings menu) thus enabling proper bass management. This has the additional benefit of much better low frequency correction because MultEQ uses filters with 8x more resolution in the subwoofer channel. More information about this can be found on our blog post here.

The LFE signal and the bass management crossover are two different things.

The crossover is responsible for taking the bass from the speakers and sending it to the subwoofer. That should be set at around the frequency where your speakers are no longer able to reproduce bass. This is called the crossover frequency.

In 5.1 content, there is an additional bass-only track called the LFE track. This is not played from the main speakers, but only from the subwoofer. This track is authored to have content up to 120 Hz and so the filter in the AVR called LFE Lowpass should be set to 120 Hz. Always. It is a mistake for AVR makers to even make this an option as it has nothing to do with bass management.

Last edited:
This speaker most definitely will not play full range.

The point I am trying to make is that, for a beginner like you, it is always better to fully understand what each and every setting that you are using does, read up as much as you can on the net and initially try the settings advocated by Audyssey in their site, which is https://ask.audyssey.com/hc/en-us. Make sure that you read each and every line of Audyssey 101.

Once you have set this up, listen to it for a while, even for a month or so. Only after this, if you feel you need more bass or such, then you should be changing the settings to your preference and not before that. Of course, needless to say, this is my opinion.

Bass as imagined by a beginner is totally different from what seasoned listeners expect from Bass. If you set your system right, a car door closing will sound like a car door closing. If you want the car door closing to sound like a bomb going off, then it is your preference and you can make it sound so by tweaking the settings later on.

The Blu-ray of Spectre that you have is a good one to test bass. I have the Blue-ray too. The opening scene where the building collapses is a scary scene. At reference volumes, it might give a person with a weak heart, a heart attack !!!!

In this scene, when the building falls, I go "Oh my !!! the building is falling ...!!!" If you go "Oh my !!! My sub is playing ... !!!" then you still might have some work to do.
in this building falling scene my subwoofer has distortion its not deep smooth bass. now what to do?

If I am not mistaken, he is talking of setting LPF to 80 as a compromise between 5.1 movies and 5.1 music where he says that 5.1 music sounds better with LPF to 80.

I would still set it to 120 Hz as I don't listen to 5.1 music. Good to know though, thanks.

What audyssey labs say:
https://ask.audyssey.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347523-Bass-Management-and-LFE-NOT-the-same-thing

Audyssey LabsNovember 03, 2009 04:20
If you have a subwoofer in your system, you should always use bass management in the AVR. Unfortunately this is not always the default setting and several manufacturers still insist on setting speakers to “Large” or “Full Range”. Doing so will prevent bass from being redirected to your subwoofer from the satellite channels. Audyssey recommends to manually change all speakers to “Small” (i.e. set a crossover frequency for each speaker in the manual settings menu) thus enabling proper bass management. This has the additional benefit of much better low frequency correction because MultEQ uses filters with 8x more resolution in the subwoofer channel. More information about this can be found on our blog post here.

The LFE signal and the bass management crossover are two different things.

The crossover is responsible for taking the bass from the speakers and sending it to the subwoofer. That should be set at around the frequency where your speakers are no longer able to reproduce bass. This is called the crossover frequency.

In 5.1 content, there is an additional bass-only track called the LFE track. This is not played from the main speakers, but only from the subwoofer. This track is authored to have content up to 120 Hz and so the filter in the AVR called LFE Lowpass should be set to 120 Hz. Always. It is a mistake for AVR makers to even make this an option as it has nothing to do with bass management.
no lpf is default at 120hz i was talking only about lfe cross

bwfore buying acoustic foam can you tell where do i put pillows to try it?
Before buying accoustic foam, basics need to be sorted. Accoustic foam will suckout some power.
when there is a lot of power - like more than the room can handle- like booming sound- well the situation now is lack of bass- so then we need to do 'first thing first'
After basics sorted then we might get idea where and what is getting reflected to add accoustic foam

in this building falling scene my subwoofer has distortion its not deep smooth bass. now what to do?
It could mean so many things. Sub too loud, Sub in a null place, phase problems etc. What I would suggest is that you read up on the material that I have provided till Saturday. On Saturday, pick a good place for the sub. I would prefer sub closer to the speakers and sub not placed under tables or into any enclosures. Run Audyssey as suggested, set speakers to small, crossover to 80 LFE to LFE, turn dynamic EQ on and then listen for a week. After a week, get back to us and let us know how your setup is working. If you are going to change anything, change only one thing at a time and then give it a long listen. Play many movies and music to test the system. If you set your sub right, the bass should feel like it is coming from the speakers and not the sub. For music, the sub should not be heard but missed if turned off.

Also, later when you get back to us, do let us know what other speakers you have in your setup. configuration for two channel playback and movie playback can differ a little and hence two separate options in your receiver.

But remember, there is only so much any member can do if you don't do your homework and read up on the settings.

An example of music that has deep room filling bass. Also, I forgot to mention earlier, Under Audio Settings, Surround Parameter, if Loudness Management is on, turn it off. If Eco is On, turn it off, If 4 Ohm switch or setting is enabled, turn it off or set it to 8 ohm irrespective of your speaker impedence. Turn dynamic eq on. If you have only two speakers and a sub, in music set your option to Stereo.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back