Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Review

I just picked from Ebay.in price Rs.7999/- with coupon , you get BDT220 imported from Bankok with Region A.Ofcourrse you can upgrade firmware for multiregion , it works

Could you show the link? most of the stuff listed on ebay the region is not specified.

Thanks

Will Panny BDT 220 play "H264 - MPEG-4 AVC" files from an external hard disc?

Prem,

I had 2 movies of this file type was able to play only 1.
From the file details the only difference I could see between the 2 was one is 23.97 frames and another 24 frames/sec.

In a related note can someone post a table containing the different formats and the modes in which this player supports.

Fore.g: Avi not supported at all
Vob not supported via USB but plays fine when burnt on a disc.
Also vob files can be played through network(worked once will need to confirm)

Some times AVI plays but very rare, as naren said avis are a no. Same thing with MP4, plays only smaller files and not high res movies. VOB files will not play from HDD.

Some DVDs will not play either, they will display 2 folders as Audio TS and Video TS and nothing happens further.

For few odd movies in the format that the player finds difficult to play or not playing, you may please convert the same to other formats with so many free converters available online. That should not be a big issue, considering the benefit it offers, apart from the biggest one, which is allowing you to be region free, if you want to.

Thanks jus4kix/ muks1224 & all others for valuable inputs. Managed to skimmed through all 57 odd pages, and convinced myself this is the one I'd need.

I just ordered one through e-bay for 8300/- (after 6% discount thru credit card). this is my first big purchase via. ebay, hoping all sails through well. :D

Note: Couple of dealers in ebay.in increased price by 1k today on this model, there's only one remaining which is under 9k.

Is there any workaround to Play PAL DVD's on this player apart from updating the region free patch?

I have been using this for the past 4 -5 months without any issues and suddenly when trying to play recent 2 DVD titles had this issue.

Like is there any setting that can be changed? or any free software to convert the file from PAL to NTSC?

You can always remove the region choose by ripping the DVD via software such as DVD decrypter or DVD Shrink and then reburning the DVD on a DVD-R. Of course this is a lot of extra work. But PAL/NTSC is entirely different matter and no firmware/software can do that.

Hi!
Does this or any other player play video files with 5.1 sound from an external HDD connected to USB? Or is it only stereo?

Hi!
Does this or any other player play video files with 5.1 sound from an external HDD connected to USB? Or is it only stereo?

A simple solution for region specific dvds , is to copy the files from dvd through laptop or desktop in usb and play it in blue ray player.I tested this in my sony bdp s490 it is working fine.This way u can avoid spending money for new player or firmware unlock.Whether u will get 5.1 dd sound that u need to test it out, i'm not so sure.My bdp is playing vob also through usb.

A simple solution for region specific dvds , is to copy the files from dvd through laptop or desktop in usb and play it in blue ray player.I tested this in my sony bdp s490 it is working fine.This way u can avoid spending money for new player or firmware unlock.Whether u will get 5.1 dd sound that u need to test it out, i'm not so sure.My bdp is playing vob also through usb.

That is true for some players. However, BDT220 does not play vob files via USB. I have tried myself. One can convert to mkv and then there is no problem - I say mkv because there will no resolution loss as compared to, say, xvid. But more than that, the world is slowly moving away from DVD. I expect that in another 2 years DVD will be a forgotten format and a next gen format will arrive to challenge BD.

Last edited:
Hey guys!
I've been restricting myself but nonetheless being sorely tempted.
Is this safe and is it good? 220V with NTSC & weight in Lbs. Does it look dicey? No region indication. Seller rating 98.8%.
Has anybody bought from this seller?
Take the plunge, shall I??? Or shall I go with hifimart at 10,990?
Also, will it play 5.1 through USB?
EDIT - The same seller has Pioneer BDP-450 for 12,500/- Any opinions?

Last edited:
Hey guys!
I've been restricting myself but nonetheless being sorely tempted.
Is this safe and is it good? 220V with NTSC & weight in Lbs. Does it look dicey? No region indication. Seller rating 98.8%.
Has anybody bought from this seller?
Take the plunge, shall I??? Or shall I go with hifimart at 10,990?
Also, will it play 5.1 through USB?
EDIT - The same seller has Pioneer BDP-450 for 12,500/- Any opinions?

I purchased BDT220 from below seller @ 8399 on last satureday, delivered on monday. Though i have not yet opened the package due to lack of time.
Brand New Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Smart Network 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player | eBay

It seems they have incresed the price, but you may wait and check you may be lucky to see the less price occationally :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back