Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Review

Is there any other player from any other brand that can I look for? I know 220 got very good review from all of the users, however even if I look for any other brand, which model would that be?

Although the 220 is an excellent model, it's biggest and most significant advantage is the ability to make it region free by a simple firmware update. Not so with others. But, if that is taken out of the equation, there are many others which are just as good, the Pioneer BDP-450, for example. You should look at various review websites.

Although the 220 is an excellent model, it's biggest and most significant advantage is the ability to make it region free by a simple firmware update. Not so with others. But, if that is taken out of the equation, there are many others which are just as good, the Pioneer BDP-450, for example. You should look at various review websites.

I am sorry if I have asked this earlier.
Where can I get this simple software update and how much could it cost?
Thanks.

I have checked the website, the firmware for 230 is not still available. Do you think is there any chance of releasing firmware for 230.

Would you recomend to use firmware for region code break or installing cheap is better option? Did you break the region code of your product. If yes, how is the performance of the BD palyer for other region BDs?

Did you had chance to experience Sony BD player (490, 4100, 1100) if i keep aside the online content/networking feature, is 230 a better choice?

Thanks in advance,
Sandip

Last edited:
I have checked the website, the firmware for 230 is not still available. Do you think is there any chance of releasing firmware for 230.

Would you recomend to use firmware for region code break or installing cheap is better option? Did you break the region code of your product. If yes, how is the performance of the BD palyer for other region BDs?

Did you had chance to experience Sony BD player (490, 4100, 1100) if i keep aside the online content/networking feature, is 230 a better choice?

Thanks in advance,
Sandip

You should read the thread from the beginning. Most doubts will be cleared.

Thanks in advance,
Sandip
It is quite possible that the guy at firmwareinfo is working on the f/w update for Model 230.

Installing a chip (I hope you meant "chip" and not "cheap"), is definitely a better option because it protects the BDP for loosing out the region free capability in case of a firmware update. If you use the software, aka region free firmware, and you (accidently) upgrade it with the official f/w (of higher version), you will loose the region free capability. In case you want higher version RF f/w, you must contact firmwareinfo again.

Hi Friends,

I have finalized two model at the final stage of research. First, Pana BDT230 and the second one is Sony BDP-S4100. Both are available at around INR 10K. However, Sony is giving 5 3d bd discs and 1 HDMI cable along with the player. Although I am not much interested on the goodies. I don't have 3D TV and no plan to upgrade that in near future. Till now as per my research, 230 can't be region free like 220. So 4100 and 230 both are on same platform on region code.

Have gone through various review websites, and that made me confused which one I should go with. Mainly looking for VERY GOOD audio and video quality, should play CD, DVD, and DB (R, RW, etc) should support many formats in audio and video.....should have good up-scaling capability and more over it should be RELABEL. As I have media player with inbuilt wi-fi, so networking is not the deciding factor.

Please help which one I should buy and why?

Thanks in advance,
Sandip

Last edited:
What is "relabel"? Both, the 230 & 4100 are excellent models. While the region free firmware for Panasonic 230 is not available right now, it may be available on future, but don't bet on my words. :) Both models will give excellent results. If you are interested in region free, go for DMP-BDT220 instead.

What is "relabel"? Both, the 230 & 4100 are excellent models. While the region free firmware for Panasonic 230 is not available right now, it may be available on future, but don't bet on my words. :) Both models will give excellent results. If you are interested in region free, go for DMP-BDT220 instead.

Sometimes a little bit scratched disc could not be played by many players, which one would be better bet in this case? We know in general Sony is very good, after sales service is also important if luck is bad :) So overall I was trying to say the these things through Relabel.

Last edited:
Sometimes a little bit scratched disc could not be played by many players, which one would be better bet in this case? We know in general Sony is very good, after sales service is also important if luck is bad :) So overall I was trying to say the these things through Relabel.

If the disc goes bad, it is not as if one player will be able to play better than others. Refer to my "Friends TV series" discs problem in the movies section. I have come to realize that disc scratch is much less of a problem. The problem seems more to be reading the second layer of the disc. All my bad discs have more or less the same problem - no or extremely minor/forgettable scratches but discs won't read either entirely or from half way mark. Point is, Sony or Panasonic or pioneer, or whatever - no one will help.

Sorry to bother you again. Need your opinion on one point. As I have earlier mentioned both the models are available around 10K, and as Sony is offering goodies of around 4-5K (5 3D Blu-ray disc + 1 HDMI cable), effectively Pana is costlier than Sony by 4K. Is it for the technology? Is it evident from Pana's performance?

I am ready to pay for the technology rather than so called free gifts, may be which I dont want other than the HDMI cable :)

Thanks,
Sandip

Last edited:
There is no difference in technology as far as I can say. The goodies with Sony is to promote the product. As I said the advantage of Panasonic is possibly it can be made region free in future.

Hi
Recently encountered a problem with my 220 player (region free mod done.) Five minutes into any BD and the player stops working.
This started when I inserted a Region 8 DVD and set the player to the specific region on the remote with the option 2708 thing.
Anyone else facing the same problem? Is it some settings related issue? Appreciate any help
TIA
Gijo

Hi Gijo,

Just need some help here.
I've also acquired a 220, BUT from the US.
None of my movie-DVD's are playing, although my discs with still-photos (JPEG) are playing just fine. What can be the problem . . . region locked ? or is it that I have missed something while setting up. I must confess I'm not very conversant with software jargons.
If this is region-locked, as you have stated earlier, can it be unlocked, if so HOW ?!!
I am really at my wits end, was really looking forward to this and have stacks of DVDs to play for my kids.

Thanks.

Hi Bossy,

Whats the error your getting ? If u have any disc which is bought in US , try to play it..

Hi Gijo,

Just need some help here.
I've also acquired a 220, BUT from the US.
None of my movie-DVD's are playing, although my discs with still-photos (JPEG) are playing just fine. What can be the problem . . . region locked ? or is it that I have missed something while setting up. I must confess I'm not very conversant with software jargons.
If this is region-locked, as you have stated earlier, can it be unlocked, if so HOW ?!!
I am really at my wits end, was really looking forward to this and have stacks of DVDs to play for my kids.

Thanks.

^^^ Ok. Does one chipset over other make a day and night difference in the general features and quality/performance? I did say that there was some difference. But I haven't come across any article anywhere which states that model 230 is heads and heels above model 220. There may be difference in underlying circuits but to the general public what matters is not what lies beneath. What matters is deference in features, playback capability, picture quality, etc.

What you say about firmware info may be correct since you claim to have inside contacts.

Last edited:
I am able to play XVid/AVI (those 700 mb) movies. I suppose DVix is not a problem too.

I registered on this board and I made my post because you are confusing people with your comments about each and everything.

You made a similar statement when you said the DMP-BDT120/220/320/500 would support DivX playback in general, which is also just nonsense...

DMP-BDT120/220/320/500 players for the US market don't support DivX playback at all !

You don't have any idea what you are talking about, but you are trying to make yourself look like an expert.

Please stop telling people about your guesses if you don't have any real idea what you are talking about.

Please check you're own premises first. I never claimed any such thing. All I said that my player is able to play xvid (and probably dvix). I never said anything about the models I don't own. You need to oil your machinery properly. :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back