The Movies I Liked

Some of the movies I saw recently and liked:

1. Stone. This is a psychological thriller with superb acting by Robert De Niro, Edward Norton, and Nila Jovovich. Nila is simply superb in the role she plays as a seductress and a manipulator.

Jack Marby (Robert De Niro) is a parole officer in a prison that houses Gerald Stone Creeson (Edward Norton). During interviews prior to a decision on whether or not to release Stone, Stone pleads with Jack and promises him he will be a model citizen. Stone's wife, Lucetta Creeson (Nila Jovovich), in the meantime, literally stalks Jack and seduces him outside the jail. Jack slowly falls into the double trap and send a positive report. In subsequent interviews, Stone starts acting like a man not to be trusted, and says he actually enjoyed the killing for which he was jailed. Jack is now a confused man. What happens next? - see the movie...

2. Takers. This is what you could call a 'masala' movie with non stop action. But it has some of my favourite actors such as Matt Dillon, Paul Walker (Fast and Furious), and Hayden Christensen (Jumper). Some of the scenes seem to be have been lifted from movies such as Italian Job, but, all in all, a watch-able movie with good action.

3. 88 Minutes. This is a 2007 movie where Al Pacino plays the role of Jack Gramm, a professor of forensic psychiatry. Jack's testimony sends a serial killer to jail and the electric chair. Just before he is killed and when he is in jail, the same killings happen again, and people start wondering if the wrong man has been accused. Jack is very adamant that he was correct. And then one day, he gets a call saying he has 88 minutes to live. The term '88 Minutes' is related to a very old case of his. As Jack starts running for his life, he has to make sense of confusing information he is getting, track the killer, and save his and other's lives.

4. Patiala House. You might wonder why I am mentioning this movie. The reason is simple. After Aan, this is the first movie in which I have seen Akshay Kumar act decently and credibly. Some of the scenes in the movie are boring, including the constant dancing and immature behaviour of the women. If you can ignore all that, there is an underlying message about family life in India, and this has been portrayed well by Rishi Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, and Dimple Kapadia.

Cheers

Picked up a copy of Kurbaan today and saw it. Must say that I was quite impressed with the movie. The movie has a number of positives. One; the photography is very very good. Two; most of the actors have performed well. Three; the Dolby sound is very good, tight, and limited to just what is needed. In some of scenes where they show a running subway train, if you close your eyes you can literally think you are travelling in the train. Four; in one scene where Avantika and Ehsaan remove a bullet and stitch up Ehsaan, the close up of the injured shoulder is extremely realistic.

The movie has flaws. One is that, initially when they are building the story, the gap between the scenes are very short, and the images have an annoying habit of going into completely black screen before moving into the next scene.

Kudos to Karan Johar in trying his hand at a technically good movie that does not have any of the usual Bollywood hungama.

Cheers

do not know if this is the right thread to post this
but still asking this doubt as most of movie folks are here,what does AAC audio stand for????
i understand its something of an advanced audio codec,but does it output 5.1 audio as good as DD/DTS??

AAc when played thro xtreamer / assus mini outputs only 2 channel or in prologic mode by default, which isnt good

am i missing anything here

got the answer for this
very very simple but left me going nuts about it for quiet some time (thanks to srinisunder for helping me out on this)

AAC -Advanced audio codec

when playing video files thro xtreamer having AAC audio,Simply get into the xtreamer audio menu and select AAC audio and hit play , the AAC is perfectly decoded into playing 5.1 (PCM) in direct mode and to tell you its as good as DD/DTS but not as crisp and detailed as HD Audio ,but still great!!!

advantage with video files with AAC is the file sizes are much smaller so its much easier to manage

Game of Death

Storyline

A diplomat's bodyguard and company are injured in a botched assassination attempt. They're all taken to the same hospital, where the bodyguard teams up with a nurse to protect the diplomat from a team of ruthless assassins. The nurse soon learns that there is more to this sticky situation than expected.

Game of Death (2010) - IMDb

V.

The Rite (2011) - IMDb

its about exorcism , i think its one of the few horror movies that succeeds in giving you the thrills without any blood/gore/special effects, a well directed movie ,there are a few scenes that are unexplained

Anthony hopkins is brilliant , must watch for horror movie lovers

Last edited:
The Dilemma (2011) - IMDb

A story of how you tell your best friend that you discovered his wife is cheating. What also adds to the spice is that the two friends are close to professional success and would not want anything to distract them.

Nice acting, the storyline is fairly predictable.

One of the best movies that I watched in the last six months:

inception-poster.jpg

Last night watched Sankat City, (although i m not a big fan of Hindi movies so only watched a few)but it was good to watch comedy movie, easy on eyes,Anupam Kher produced another Top Notch performance.

will recommend it if u like to have some stress out of your system

Seven Samurai (1954) - 4.5 Star Rating - Kurosawa's action masterpiece in b&w; copied a million times in hollywood and bollywood but nothing can (still) beat the original; little slow for today's pace
Kill the Irishman (2011) - 4 Star Rating - Action packed real life gangster drama
Game of Thrones (2011) - 4 Star Rating - Mini series; watched 4 episodes till now; breaking all imdb rating records; adults please only...
The Mechanic (2011) - 3.5 Star Rating - Statham's action piece; quite watchable
No string's attached (2011) - 4 Star Rating - Delightful comedy love story
The Way Back (2010) - 4 Star Rating - Must watch, true story drama about 4 men who walked from siberia to india (4000 km) on foot during the ww2 era...
I am number 4 (2011) - 2.5 star rating - kidish sci-fi movie produced by our very own reliance group

Big Fish (2003)

Tim Burton's tale of a father and son. The father (Albert Finney) excels in telling stories about his life which are always exotic, fantastic and appear to be fantasy than reality. The son grows tired of his tales after hearing them a million times and stops talking to him for 3 years post his own marriage. After learning that his father is ill, he returns home and tries to understand who his father actually is. We are told more fantastic tales of his father's past (younger version played by Ewan McGregor) as the son tries to separate fact from fiction. A very good film.

Monty Python and The Holy Grail (1975), Life of Brian (1979)

Both Monty Python movies were good. A comedy that was not slapstick, British and funny with lot of word play. Lot of gags worth remembering. "Holy Grail" is a take on King Arthur and his Knight's quest of the holy grail, "Life of Brian" is about Brian who is born at the same time as Jesus with his life path cris-crossing Romans, rebels and religion. I liked 'Brian' a little better.

The Princess Bride (1987)

A fun film mixing action, adventure, comedy and fantasy. I've liked most of Cary Elwes performances so far, this was no different. But, I still am not sure why this is in the IMDB Top 250 - a cult following, perhaps. A good choice for passing time without subjecting ears and eyes to torture like Michael Bay films.

The Dilemma (2011) - IMDb

A story of how you tell your best friend that you discovered his wife is cheating. What also adds to the spice is that the two friends are close to professional success and would not want anything to distract them.

Nice acting, the storyline is fairly predictable.

Hi Sudhir,

Thanks for the reco. Watched it, not bad at all.:)

The Edge

Storyline

A model has her rich, much older husband come with her to a photo shoot. But when their plane crashes in the middle of nowhere, a strong mind game erupts between the jealous husband and the younger photographer as they try to get back to civilization.

The Edge (1997) - IMDb

v.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back