The Movies I Liked

In most cases, IMDB rating matches my preference. I usually watch a movie only if it has a minimum rating of 6.

In most cases, IMDB rating matches my preference. I usually watch a movie only if it has a minimum rating of 6.

I also mostly rely on IMDB ratings, before watching any new Hollywood or foreign language movie. In 99% of the cases, I don't watch any movie having its rating below 7.
However it doesn't apply to Hindi movies.

But sometimes, even IMDB can betray you. It has happened to me few times.
I watched a movie called Cabin In The Woods by looking at its then rating of 8, and it proved a big mistake. I can say this is the worst movie I have watched in last 2-3 years.

Could not enjoy much of the comedies this year.

Though watched it late, Hangover III was worth it. Chao - My god his line - 'Why are you trying to kill poor chao?' :lol::lol::lol:

Citizen Kane is rated very highly everywhere, including IMDB. I found the movie very boring. But you are right ... IMDB is otherwise a reliable source of good movies. Another good source is Rotten Tomatoes.

Watched "Mud"

Mud (2012) - IMDb

MV5BMTU2MzcyODgyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc4MDYwOQ@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Really good.

Citizen Kane is rated very highly everywhere, including IMDB. I found the movie very boring. But you are right ... IMDB is otherwise a reliable source of good movies. Another good source is Rotten Tomatoes.

Same happened with me with "Blade Runner" ..... with 8+ rating, ridley scott as the director and movie gaining some cult status I had some very high expectations, and for me it turned out to be one of the most boring movies I have seen.

I usually read reviews on IMDB rather than blindly go with the rating, but a rating as low as 4 or 4.5 is bound to be a crap.

Once in a blue moon, appears a masterpiece, a masterclass. Les Misrables (pronounced "lei meezraab"), is one such example. Already acknowledged as a classic by 19th century writer Victor Hugo, and is considered one of the greatest novels of the later part of that century. The novel has been made into an opera at Paris, West End and Broadway among others with three musical movies to boot, the latest adaptation in 2012. I am herewith recommending the movie (a musicial) very strongly. I missed the 2012 movie at the cinema. It ran for a couple of weeks only in my city. Unfortunately, the general public only likes riff-raff of the kind demonstrated by The Twilight Saga or superheroes/action/adventure kind of genre. Musicals with a strong opera based concept do not make the cult. Such a pity really. But I made a point to buy the original blu-ray disc and thouroughly enjoyed the movie. The music is just grand as can be demonstrate by the following track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFl5i6RXdRo
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtvDnCXf9oQ

p/s. Note that the film has near zero dialogues - it is an out and out musical.

Les Misrables (2012) - IMDb

MV5BMTQ4NDI3NDg4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjY5OTI1OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Last night, I watched a very light entertainer called Gippi.

Yeah, this is teenage movie. But, what's so special about it? I liked it because this is an honest movie. There are many funny moments in this movie. I liked all the child actors, specially Gippi and her friend Aanchal. This teaches us what NOT to expect from a child or anybody! Just because they are not good looking or lacking in something, shouldn't be a reason to pressurize them to do exactly what others do. (One moment I think who the F I am to say that, as I am still a bachelor!)

As I mentioned in other thread, I don't follow IMDB rating for Hindi movies because there are very few people who rate Bollywood movies on IMDB, hence metascore is always low.
And Gippi is just a 95 Minutes movie, so give it a chance. You may like it before you start feeling bored. (IMDB wrongly mentions run-time as 138 Minutes; so I made an update request there).

R

MV5BMTU5NTQ2NTMyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA0MTcyOQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

The story of two men on different sides of a prison riot -- the inmate leading the rebellion and the young guard trapped in the revolt, who poses as a prisoner in a desperate attempt to survive the ordeal.

Celda 211 (2009) - IMDb

V.

Amour (2012) - IMDb

There are zillions of films out there. With most, you see but don't feel. With some, you watch in admiration because it tickles your thinking. Then there are a handful of films which are personal. Others may watch it, appreciate it, but only a few can understand it inside out. While watching it, I felt that it was hard to make something like this without going through it.

Loosely based on personal experiences of director Michael Haneke. His aunt suffered a degenerative disease and the paintings seen in the movie are owned by Haneke's parents.

Michael Haneke's film details the life of an aged couple. The wife suffers a stroke and the husband takes care of her. Seems like a recipe for a tear jerking plot with all the terrible cliche' one liners thrown in. It would have been in Hollywood. But, what I loved about the film is that it is realistic. There is little sentimentality. Excellent acting by both Emmanuelle Riva (some scenes felt very real) and Jean-Louis Trintignant.

It is exactly what I've gone through and am going through - just as a son. You can't take away their pain, there are various issues that come with old age that people do not comprehend, there are ups and downs - bad days and worse days, you wake up every day and feel happy that they are alive while you fondly hope that nothing happens to you before their time's up, people rationally analyze your situation but all they can offer is kind words or advice - all my personal experiences captured in this film in one form or another.

Don't think this will affect others the same way. So, it could end up on the "Must Not watch" thread for you.

Trance .......... After a looong long time a movie that actually screwed by brain. Its another Gem by Danny Boyle. This is the kind of movie that can not be described by a sentence or two. Very tough. I will just give a quick, account ..." An art auctioneer , involved in a Heist, forgets where he has kept the painting, and had to hire a hypnotherapist to find it." ........ Believe me the plot jest does not even touch the hair line of the intricacies, twists and turns that you will experience in the movie. By half time the plot becomes so convoluted you will have a hard time understanding it. By the end things do become clear but how things actually happened is left a lot to the audiences, when I say a lot I mean so much so that it actually to an extent goes against the movie (atleast according to me), and when that happens too many theories start floating around.

The movie follows the same style as of memento or the machinist, i.e screwed chronological order and it will take multiple viewing to understand what and how things happened.

But that does not take away the fact that it is an edge of the seat material with a completely unexpected twisted ending ..... I loved it ....... not for all ....... 7/10 for this one.

RED LINE seems to be one of the bottom, 250 movies on IMDB :) :D,, I wonder why you suggested that ... anyway ..... for all with their own taste ......

Comeon , again do not go by any bodies ratings, read the plot and if you like it watch it and then decide. Rating is all subjective to the viewer. I liked the plot and that why the recommendation , I never consider the IMDB ratings to watch movies. If I like the plot I just go ahead and watch the movie.

Cheers.

yes, I agree to an extent, but 4??? anyway ..... there are loads of other 7 rated movies for me to view before I turn to the lower grades ones .... :)

Beaconsfield [2012]

Beaconsfield (TV Movie 2012) - IMDb

A good Drama movie. Based on a true story of the Beaconsfield (Tasmania) Mine collapse where 3 out of 17 people working there at that time get stuck, 1 dies and 2 lives and rescued after 2 weeks of intense search operation. Good screenplay and cinematography.

Night Train to Lisbon [2013]

Night Train to Lisbon (2013) - IMDb

A very good Drama/Romance movie set in the beautiful city of Lisbon. Story is good, very good cinematography and background score. Nice performance by Jeremy Irons in the lead role. Worth a watch.

Cheers.

One False Move.......... I ove 90s action, One false move is also a 90s action drama, but with enough depth, grimness that you do feel the movie throughout its playback. Plot is fairly and dead simple, after a violent drug rip of in LA, buy thugs, two LAPD cops peruse them to Star City, Arkanas where our protagonist "Bill Paxton" is posted. Star City, is portrayed as a small town with zero criminal activity for years. Bill Paxton our cop is an enthusiastic cop with all zeal and ambition to perform and have some action in his career. This is seen as a bit immature but our LAPD cops, how they team up and bring the thugs to justice is the plot.

The movie is pretty grim and serious in its tone and the ending is (though very short, I must say) but violent. Bill Paxton shines as the protagionest here.............6.8/10 here

Watched "Oblivion"

Oblivion (2013) - IMDb
oblivion_movie_2013-1366x768.jpg

Saw Oblivion yesterday and thought the plot was damn near perfect as it stands, which is rare for your typical science fiction fare. While it was somewhat derivative, it does present these ideas in a fresh way. A lot of thought went into the design of the set pieces.

The sound mixing is the best so far in 2013 movies. Great to watch on HD TV.

Last edited:
Yes, even there is a promotion on this poster so that people can think how it would be :D
From the director of "TRON-LEGACY"
From the producer of "RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APPS"

Watched "Oblivion"

Oblivion (2013) - IMDb
oblivion_movie_2013-1366x768.jpg

Saw Oblivion yesterday and thought the plot was damn near perfect as it stands, which is rare for your typical science fiction fare. While it was somewhat derivative, it does present these ideas in a fresh way. A lot of thought went into the design of the set pieces.

Watched "Oblivion"

You have not seen enough I guess thats why you say like this, the Oblivion concept is a clean ripoff of movies like Moon, Wall-e and to an extent Matrix, but the main concept and the twist, that the movie banked upon was already used by MOON and more effectively ......

For me oblivion was ok .... MOON on the other hand was much much much better ........

Watched "Oblivion"

I will be watching it tomorrow. Celebrating the holy Id-ul-fitr :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back