The Movies I Liked

Welcome to the Punch [2013]

Welcome to the Punch (2013) - IMDb

A good Crime/Drama movie. Good story and cinematography. Nice performance by Mark Strong in a negative role.

The Numbers Station [2013]

The Numbers Station (2013) - IMDb

A fairly good Action/Drama movie. Story gets interesting as the movie progresses. An OK performance by Cusack. Cinematography and Background score is well done. Worth a watch.

Cheers,a

The Lone Ranger.

I am a railroad fan, and the action scenes with the railroad are heaven made for me.

This movie is a lot different than the 60 year old serials. This film is told through the eyes of Tonto.

The Adjustment Bureau ..... To begin with this a love story and I do not like love stories, specially those which are melodramatic .. (I have my reasons .. :) ), but this was totally, entirely something different, which hooked me right from the begining .....
I will put the plot in my own version ........ We cannot control fate and our destiny, but its believed somebody does, what if we came across those forces that makes those judgmental calls in our lives that defines our destiny, in each and every step, decision we take ....... and then we realize those forces have different plans, specially if we are head over heels in love with someone........
how do you make that right, how do you fight your fate/destiny .........

I just loved the concept and its execution, specially the execution, yes as is there with every movie this also had its cetain plot hols and yes as is with almost every movie, you got to suspend your belief, but despite of that, I really enjoyed this movie ... and the way it was executed ....... 6.8/10

Last edited:
Lore (2012)

MV5BMjMxMDA5MDUwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTM1NjM5OA@@._V1_SY317_CR1,0,214,317_.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1996310

Drama | Thriller | War

As the Allies sweep across Germany, Lore leads her siblings on a journey that exposes them to the truth of their parents' beliefs. An encounter with a mysterious refugee forces Lore to rely on a person she has always been taught to hate.

Set in Germany at the end of the Second World War, this film takes up where others like Downfall leave off and asks questions about how the erstwhile beneficiaries of Nazi rule cope with their new world. The film tracks the journey of five innocents as their life of privilege collapses and they are forced to come to terms with the effects of dreadful events over which they had no control but to which they have given their tacit support.

Watched "Frozen River"

MV5BMTk2NjMwMDgzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDY0NDY3MQ@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Frozen River (2008) - IMDb

Takes place in the days before Christmas near a little-known border crossing on the Mohawk reservation between New York State and Quebec. Here, the lure of fast money from smuggling presents a daily challenge to single moms who would otherwise be earning minimum wage. Two women - one white, one Mohawk, both single mothers faced with desperate circumstances - are drawn into the world of border smuggling across the frozen water of the St. Lawrence River. Ray and Lila - and a New York State Trooper as opponent in an evolving cat-and-mouse game

I really liked it. Leo is awesome in it, and I found it thoroughly engaging and suspenseful. Film focus on very desperate women getting way over their heads in criminal plans.

Fetih 1453 aka Conquest 1453 [2012]

Fetih 1453 (2012) - IMDb

A good War/History movie. The story is about the Ottoman Turk's conquest of Constantinople, good but too long, Cinematography and Background score is very well done. The ending could have been better, i.e the king should have entered the battlefield to fight, but he never did so, which does not depict a heroic victory.

The Impossible [2012]

The Impossible (2012) - IMDb

A very good History/Drama movie based on a true story about the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami in Thailand. Very good Cinematography supported by good Background score. A special mention to the good make-up throughout the aftermath in the movie. The climax could have been a bit better. Nice performance by the 3 kinds. And I read that the actual victim Mara Beln was actually helping the director on set throughout his shooting.

The Insider [1999]

The Insider (1999) - IMDb

A very good Crime/Drama movie, and Al Pacino was just fantastic in his performance. Excellent Editing, Cinematography and Background score and some good dialogue . Story is very engaging. Worth a watch.

Cheers.

MV5BMTU5Mjk3NjgxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDM5MjA5Ng@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Suffering from hysteria, Sabina Spielrein is hospitalized under the care of Dr. Carl Jung who has begun using Dr. Sigmund Freud's talking cure with some of his patients. Spielrain's psychological problems are deeply rooted in her childhood and violent father. She is highly intelligent however and hopes to be a doctor, eventually becoming a psychiatrist in her own right. The married Jung and Spielrein eventually become lovers. Jung and Freud develop an almost father-son relationship with Freud seeing the young Jung as his likely successor as the standard-bearer of his beliefs. A deep rift develops between them when Jung diverges from Freud's belief that while psychoanalysis can reveal the cause of psychological problems it cannot cure the patient.

A Dangerous Method (2011) - IMDb

V.

Raanjhanaa

A superlative Hindi entertainer after a long time. It hooked me from first frame and never let me go till then end. Watching Danush is a treat. Sonam is very effective.

Anand Rai, the director, has lovingly etched the characters and handled the story with care. His eye for details is amazing but does not appear pretentious. It shows through in every shot.

A. R. Rahman's background score and music breathes life in to the movie. Skip a song and you miss some crucial moments. The importance of director-music collaboration is evident when at last the lights dim and Rahman's name appears even before the director.

I hope the director had moved at a slower pace in first 30 minutes and avoided characters slapping each other so much. The second half has some rough edges. However, nothing could take away from the twist, turns and effortless emotions.

Thumbs up! Watch it (but leave your kids at home).

hqdefault.jpg

Water for Elephants (2011) - IMDb

After his parents accidental death, a vet student leaves studies and joins a circus company. He soon falls for the beautiful wife of the obstinate boss.

The Snow Walker (2003) - IMDb

A bush pilot agrees to fly an ailing Inuit girl to the nearby hospital, but they crash in the arctic tundra. They must struggle to survive the coming winter. Nice performance by the Inuit actress.

The Elephant Man (1980) - IMDb

Based on the true story of Joseph Merrick, who was known as the Elephant Man due to severe deformity.

The Story of Luke [2012]

The Story of Luke (2012) - IMDb

A very good Drama movie. Good story about a young man with autism and very good performance by Lou Taylor Pucci in that role. Good screenplay.

Olympus Has Fallen [2013]

Olympus Has Fallen (2013) - IMDb

An okay type Action/Drama movie about the attack on White House (Code named Olympus). Story could have been better, I really question the vulnerability of the White House as depicted in this movie, 13 mins is a bit exaggerated for an intruder. Apart from that the story is watchable. Cinematography and Sound mixing is very well done. Gerard Butler was okay with his performance. I'm waiting to compare this with "White House Down".

Fast and Furious 6 [2013]

Furious 6 (2013) - IMDb

An awesome Action/Drama movie. Action scenes are very well done, story is good and this was supposed to be the prequel i.e before Tokyo Drift. Cinematography is very good , good Background score and Music. Good humor throughout the movie. WARNING SPOILER!! The movie ends with the entry of Jason Statham in Tokyo , I guess he's the brother of Shaw (the bad guy in this movie) Furious 7 will continue from there. Overall worth a watch for all F&F fans.

Cheers.

Due to plenty of reasons, could not watch any movie in the past few weeks. Now that I can, have caught up a few of them over the past week.

In the order I liked them....

The Crowd (1928)

This is essentially a simple film. We would have watched almost every sequence of the film in one form or another in Indian films. While there are no surprises in store with regards to the plot, it was surprising how well it works as a silent film from 85 years ago. After all the core human emotions captured on screen (with good acting on the part of lead actors, I might add) still are valid and can be related to today as they were in the last century.

The movie looks at a face in the crowd, a common man - Johnny Sims. The constant factor throughout the film is how his joys are always experienced as part of the crowd, whereas his tragedies are suffered alone. There is a scene at the beginning of the film where young Sims is happily chatting away with his friends. Then, ambulance arrives and a large crowd gathers at the door step of his house. Young Sims slowly climbs the stairs alone and stands at the top when he is told that he needs to be brave as his father is ill.

One of my favorite sequences in the film happens around the 40 minute mark. Right after the scene where we are shown how Sims are happy despite troubles during Christmas (Johnny and Mary's family do not see eye to eye), we cut to April where they are fighting over each and every trivial matter. Sims is about to leave for his job when the wife, Mary learns that she is pregnant. The emotions shift yet again to one of love and care on the part of Sims. I don't think I'd have loved the 'cheesy' shifts had it been filled with dialogues or was 'acted out'. May be because of the low expectations or may be because I was in a corny, forgiving mood or just may be King Vidor's film is still great after all this time, any way, this was the only satisfying check mark in my book for the week. Others were slightly below it!

Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the film as it was a black comedy about a bipolar patient. Though it slips down the slope and becomes yet another one of those cheesy, predictable 'rom-coms' towards the end, I largely forgave it because of what happened before that. Bipolars who woke people in the middle of the night were more interesting than sobered up dancers :(

But, I just had to de-link the idea that it was nominated for an Oscar or Jennifer Lawrence won one for this role. Somehow, "Academy" and me differ a lot in our tastes. Sigh!

A Moment to Remember (2004)

Let's see...

I hate romantic films - Check
I hate tear-jerkers - Check
I hate cheesy dialogues - Check (at least going by the sub titles)
I especially hate when such films run over 100 mins - Check

With the Director's Cut clocking at 146 mins, there was every reason for me to hate this film. Yet, I ended up sitting through the film, which by itself is an achievement. It somehow just works! I wish to see the original theatrical cut (117 min run time) which may be a bit more tighter in narrative.

The Chaser (2008)

I have watched a handful of Korean films ("I saw the Devil", Vengeance trilogy) which are violent, at times disturbing, yet enjoyable. Chaser is a good film, though not at the level of intensity of the others. What I liked about this film is that the antagonist is just a psycho - as simple as that. Without a back story or glorification of his actions, he felt like a more realistic threat than some other on screen villains. It's slightly more dramatic in phases than I'd have liked, but works well overall.

I did not like "The Yellow Sea" from the same director as much as 'Chaser', though it had lot more axing and knifing.

Foreign Correspondent (1940) - Hitchcock at his usual well paced self. May not be one of his widely known films, but pretty good watch once you suspend disbelief.

A History of Violence (2005) - Too straight forward for a Cronenberg movie, but an interesting one (I don't mind the 'slow' pace at all).

Capote (2005)- Good transformation by Philip Seymour Hoffman into Truman Capote. But, I lacked an emotional disconnect with the movie, especially towards the end.

Last edited:
Watch Prometheus to test your Sub, Speakers and PJ quality with -

Prometheus (2012) - IMDb

It is a silly movie, filled with characters and situations that arent remotely believable, driven by blatantly obvious plot developments and devices.

I though enjoyed the breathtaking visuals, the sets & the amazing, deeply atmospheric and bassy sound effects . Home Theatre are meant for such quality of cinematographic and sound effects!!

Adaptation. (2002)

Probably one of the smartest meta screenplays I've watched. If taken as a 'film' by itself, it's not as interesting because nothing happens for most of the movie. But, let's put it in perspective. Charlie Kaufman, the real writer of "Being John Malkovich" wrote this script. In the film, Charlie Kaufman and his brother (who does not have a real world counterpart), Donald Kaufman are played by Nicholas Cage. The film is about how (fictional) Charlie ended up writing this film itself (He figures out how to begin this script half way into the movie) adapting a real book "Orchid Thief" written by Susan Orlean (played by Meryl Streep) about John Laroche (Chris Cooper). In addition, the film jumps between "now" and the "past" a lot, which requires little more attention to keep track of. Many dialogues reminded me of the :p smiley.

Sample this -

Charlie: Okay. But, I'm saying, it's like, I don't want to cram in sex or guns or car chases, you know... or characters, you know, learning profound life lessons or growing or coming to like each other or overcoming obstacles to succeed in the end, you know. I mean... The book isn't like that, and life isn't like that. You know, it just isn't. And... I feel very strongly about this.

McKee: ...and God help you if you use voice-over in your work, my friends. God help you. That's flaccid, sloppy writing. Any idiot can write a voice-over narration to explain the thoughts of a character.

Charlie: The script I'm starting, it's about flowers. Nobody's ever done a movie about flowers before. So, so there are no guidelines...

(Amazon 1 star reviews indicate that though Laroche is an interesting character, the book is worse off by focusing on Orchids instead of him)

MV5BMTY1NDQxMTcwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzMzNTExNg@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

When a group of hard working guys find out they've fallen victim to a wealthy business man's Ponzi scheme, they conspire to rob his high-rise residence.

Tower Heist (2011) - IMDb

V.

I own this movie. It's fast paved and all, acting is pretty good, etc., but I found the plot a little far fetched. I don't want to put in spoilers, otherwise I have lot of questions.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back