The Movies I Liked

A Russian teenager living in London who dies during childbirth leaves clues to a midwife in her journal that could tie her child to a rape involving a violent Russian mob family.

MV5BMTcwMzU0OTY3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzkwNjg2._V1_SX214_.jpg

Eastern Promises (2007) - IMDb

V.

Hyi All

I am back from US and the first thing I wanted to do after a day of rest was to crank up my Home theater with some high quality action packed movie. I chose A Good day to Die hard a.k.a Die hard 5 ..... i am a hard fan of this franchise, and even the worst of the series (Die hard 3), which for me was fun to watch i had some expectations from this (even though with worst ratings on IMDB ...) and boy was I disappointing, this clearly IS the worst of the series, infact so bad it should not be even belong to the series at all.
I love action movies, and John Maclane is one of my fav action all time character, and this movie ruined it from all sides. Plot is practically non existent and John's thrust into Russia is so forced, that you loose respect right from start, with no back ground what so ever and in no scene his character is linked with his previous installments, (except may be when John's son at the end actually mentions the fact that his name is actually John McClane Jr. not Jake ( in Die Hard (1988) his kids are named Lucy and John Jr.) which was a key trait and cleverly posted in all his previous squeals.
But I would not blame Bruce Willis for this, he still is John Maclane, with his same picturesque style and weathered-out cynicism in his eyes, which I (and most of us) just love. No he did his part, it was the writes that gave him nothing this time to perform, no memorable one liners, wittiness (that is essentially the trail of Maclane) nothing. His character was just flat

Then comes the villain, which for every action movie has to have a visual impact, this movie had 3 I guess and non were even remotely close to what we had in earlier movies. (Gruber Brothers, Thomas Gabrial all had an impact and were a pleasure to watch).

To end and just to salvage the immense love for this series, the opening car chase scene was action packed, and certainly had a couple of "Oh! Shit!!!" moments, sadly the rest of the movie was just tad boring and point less.

With Die hardest announced for 2015, I just seriously hope its good enough to bring back the love for this series which we fans have ....

5/10 for this one.

Next in line is definitely man of steel this weekend .... and then waiting eagerly for World War Z

Last edited:
Nice review, Sam. I feel the same about Die Hard 5, it's pretty disappointing. I've watched Die Hard movies at least 50 times but this movie, I wish I didn't see it.

No more "Yippie-Ki-Yey" :(

Just watched Life Of Pi in 3D and it' a must-have for any 3D collection.

Nice review, Sam. I feel the same about Die Hard 5, it's pretty disappointing. I've watched Die Hard movies at least 50 times but this movie, I wish I didn't see it.

No more "Yippie-Ki-Yey" :(

Just watched Life Of Pi in 3D and it' a must-have for any 3D collection.

Well "Yippie-Ki-Yey" was there in this one too, but even that could not save the poor instalment ........ Hope Die hard 6 is better.

Che : Part 1 / 2 [2008]

Che: Part One (2008) - IMDb

Che: Part Two (2008) - IMDb

A very good Biography/Drama movie about Che Guevara. For those who like "The Motorcycle Diaries" this movie is about what happened after that. Story and Cinematography is very good. Worth a watch.

Silver Linings Playbook [2012]

Silver Linings Playbook (2012) - IMDb

A very good Comedy/Drama movie. Story is fine, good performance by Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence and De Niro . Very good cinematography. Good watch.

Cheers.

MV5BMjA4MjI2OTM5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDA1NjUzMw@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

This is the story of three well-meaning but flawed people: Paul Rivers, an ailing mathematician lovelessly married to an English migr, Christina Peck, an upper-middle-class suburban housewife, happily married and mother of two little girls, and Jack Jordan, an ex-convict who has found in his Christian faith the strength to raise a family. They will be brought together by a terrible accident that will change their lives. By the final frame, none of them will be the same as they will learn harsh truths about love, faith, courage, desire and guilt, and how chance can change our worlds irretrievably, forever.

21 Grams (2003) - IMDb

V.

MV5BMjA4MjI2OTM5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDA1NjUzMw@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

This is the story of three well-meaning but flawed people: Paul Rivers, an ailing mathematician lovelessly married to an English migr, Christina Peck, an upper-middle-class suburban housewife, happily married and mother of two little girls, and Jack Jordan, an ex-convict who has found in his Christian faith the strength to raise a family. They will be brought together by a terrible accident that will change their lives. By the final frame, none of them will be the same as they will learn harsh truths about love, faith, courage, desire and guilt, and how chance can change our worlds irretrievably, forever.

21 Grams (2003) - IMDb

V.

This is one of my favourite movies! And it is perhaps among the best in the discontinuous-edit genre. The script is so well written, and the movie so well directed, that the (initial) randomness of events and chronology quickly starts making sense: Not an easy thing to do. Very strong performances from Sean Penn, Naomi Watts and Benicio Del Toro too!

Watched "The Place Beyond the Pines"

A motorcycle stunt rider turns to robbing banks as a way to provide for his lover and their newborn child, a decision that puts him on a collision course with an ambitious rookie cop navigating a department ruled by a corrupt detective.

The Place Beyond the Pines (2012) - IMDb

MV5BMjc1OTEwNjU4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUzNDIwOQ@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

The Place Beyond the Pines

Recently caught this movie, really good. The film itself is a bit long, but if you're patient enough, it pays off.

Derek Cianfrance did a great job directing and writing the film. The movie itself is presented in 3 acts. The 3rd act does a good job of tieing the story together and presents an ending i enjoyed (felt "full circled").

Great cast all around; Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper both do a phenomenal job. The acting by the younger boys wasn't that great, but i think it didn't necessarily ruin the film.
I feel this movie flew under the radar and deserves more attention.

Cianfrance also did Blue Valentine, which i didn't like so much, but this movie has a similar pace and character development.

9/10

MV5BMTYzOTIyMzEzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODk0NjM5NA@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Injured after committing a bank robbery, John Taylor is desperate to find a place to hide out and approaches the home of Warick Wilson. John manages to get himself invited into the house by posing as a friend of a friend and spinning a sob story of lost luggage and a violent mugging. Inside, Warick, a consummate host, is making the final preparations for an impeccable dinner party. He insists John stay for the party, but as the evening begins it becomes obvious Warick may not be what he first appears.

The Perfect Host (2010) - IMDb

V.

Man OF Steel ....so my take, not that it counts much, but will share .......... first I cannot understand how this movie did not, stay close to Superman comics and cartoon series,(as some of the audience has been pointing out) now I admid, I have not read superman comics, but I have seen couple of superman cartoons and movies of the current gen, and my first reaction after the first fight sequence that came after first half break was, its exactly choreographed as was in the animated movie. The chaos, the super speed, the clutter, mess all was very reminiscent of the Superman cartoon. Though this for me might not necessarily be the worthiness to rate it, but its still close.

Characterization is the biggest virtue for this movie, the first complete first half is just dedicated to build the character and provide the much needed background for a Superman reboot. The movie is super serious, infact too serious at points for its own good, there was only a handful of (infact only one I remember, when Clark is handcuffed and taken in to custody) light moment. Avengers (a clear comparison) had much more humor than MOS, and this for me clearly went in favor of Avengers.
Action was top class, had to be, it was the pivot of this super hero presentation, and as I said was very closely cheoreographed, to have that animation like chaos and clutter. How ever I still missed that Awe Struck!!!! moment, I was expecting, (Avengers had quite a couple of them, infact SuperMan Returns, had one as well (infact the only one action sequence).

I love how they did not bring "SuperMan" phrase in the entire movie and the only time it was brought was in a very light way somewhere in the middle, which added to the seriousness of the movie.

Music was epic, had that magnitude which was needed, no wonder it was done by Hans Zimmer. The only time I was blazed by music in a movie prior to MOS was Tron:Legacy, which is BTW is my all time fav background score in a movie, after Terminator.

Over all the movie landed true to my expectations, but was not something that blew me of the grid ...:D ...... Sequel is on its way ..... let see.
6.8/10 for this

The Company You Keep [2012]

The Company You Keep (2012) - IMDb

An interesting Drama/Thriller movie. The story is good and thematically rich and supported by some good casting. Good cinematography. Nice performance by Robert Redford and Shia LaBeouf. Worth a watch.

What Richard Did [2012]

What Richard Did (2012) - IMDb

A very good Drama movie. Story is a bit slow in he beginning but eventually catches up. Nice performance by Jack Reynor. Good cinematography.

Cheers,

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back