The Movies I Liked

Following (1998)

Following (1998) - IMDb

MV5BMTkxNTkyMTY0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTgxMDIyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

This was a great movie for being only 67 minutes long. There was an aspect of film-noir contained in this movie and I am glad that Nolan picked to film it in black and white. The plot is simple yet entertaining that keeps you engaged. Even the dialogue was good along with the acting. It reminded me of what was to come in Memento by not being in chronological order. I liked how the main character tried to use what Cobb taught him for example saying "everyone has a box" which he put his personal things into. Also, on the writer's door was the batman logo which seemed ironic because Christopher Nolan would later direct Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, two other great movies. There is a great twist in the end which I'm not going to spoil for anyone who hasn't seen it, even though I kind of figured what would happen when Cobb gave the young man D Lloyds credit card. I also liked how the writer had a copy of The Republic by Plato one of my favorite philosophical books. This is definitely a movie you need to watch more than once to get the full aspect of it, plus it only being an hour long. There is also a circular aspect to it by ending where it began which I thought was pretty brilliant.

The Kid with a Bike (2011)

The Kid with a Bike (2011) - IMDb

bluray2c.jpg

I saw this last night and was pleasantly surprised. Its a small film and in the same stripped down, shoot-in-the-streets style of the Dardennes other films. And while its not a story heavy or plot driven film, I felt the depictions of real people to be quite astute. I think the Dardenne brothers captured in a very real way what it is to be a child and used very specific behavior to develop the character into something beyond just a stock caricature of an abandoned boy.

Hi guys
Please suggest some must watch movies that are thought provoking. Movies which prompts you to watch again in order to go deeper into the script. I am looking for psychological thrillers like Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind, Memento, Insomnia, Mulholland Drive, Black Swan etc..

Hi guys
Please suggest some must watch movies that are thought provoking. Movies which prompts you to watch again in order to go deeper into the script. I am looking for psychological thrillers like Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind, Memento, Insomnia, Mulholland Drive, Black Swan etc..

If we talk about recent movies, this is I have come across; which you need to watch multiple times to understand each aspect of the script...

Cloud Atlas (2012) - IMDb

And if you wanna see something more Thought Provoking, watch this masterpiece... (I am not joking; this is a cult!)... This movie is highly entertaining and you can think and debate various aspects of its script.
I feel myself lucky having watched this movie in Theater during my school days.

Gunda (1998) - IMDb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunda_(film)

@santy, you might like (in no particular order)

- Primer
- Upstream Color
- Incendies
- Sex and Lucia
- Pan's Labyrinth
- Dark City
- 24 Grams
- Melancholia
- Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Following
- Pi
- To The Wonder
- Take Shelter

Not all these are discontinuous-edit based movies (some are), like the ones you've mentioned, but they will more or less fit into the type of movies that you will need to use a bit of interpretation (and sometimes even imagination) to completely get. These are all worth watching a few times! Not all of these movies are really popular and some of the newer ones in this list are also polarizing, so YMMV :)

Thanks technobhat and hydra. Enough of them to keep the brain from rusting.:) Have added all in Watchlist.

Here are a few more. Very few discontinuous edit movies in here, but all of them will "trouble" your mind:

- Donnie Darko
- The Machinist
- Requiem for a Dream
- Blue Velvet
- Shutter Island
- Breathless
- Run Lola Run
- Frailty
- Blow Up
- The Wages of Fear
- Cul-de-Sac
- Knife In The Water
- Fight Club
- 500 Days of Summer
- Blue Valentine
- Paris, Texas
- Persona

You really can't go wrong with any of Ingmar Bergman's movies if you're looking to have a movie stick in your mind for days altogether. Other than "Persona" mentioned above, "Wild Strawberries", "Through a Glass Darkly", "Winter Light", "The Seventh Seal", "Cries and Whispers" and "The Silence" will provoke a LOT of thought.

Once again thanks hydra. Will keep me and my HT busy for an year or so. :cool: And yeah that's what I was looking for. The script that sticks to the mind several days after watching. Prompting to meditate upon what was going in the director's mind.

Once again thanks hydra. Will keep me and my HT busy for an year or so. :cool: And yeah that's what I was looking for. The script that sticks to the mind several days after watching. Prompting to meditate upon what was going in the director's mind.

I would like to add one more movie into the list..Irreversible (2002)
Plot:Events over the course of one traumatic night in Paris unfold in reverse-chronological order as the beautiful Alex is brutally raped and beaten by a stranger in the underpass.
Irrversible is told backwards, 'Memento'-style...

Watched oscar winner Network

Network (1976) - IMDb

MV5BMjIxMDQ1NjE3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTY5NTk1NA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

This film has it all: great acting, writing, and directing. This fascinating satire of the inner workings of a t.v. network holds up remarkably well in today's "ratings at any cost" world. Dunaway was never better and deserved her Oscar as a t.v. exec who cannot separate her personal and professional lives. The scene where she prattles on and on about her ratings while having having sex with William Holden's character is priceless! Holden is also quite strong here, and deserved the Oscar over his over the top co-star Peter Finch. Finch is still great here, but Holden's understated performance is the true heart and soul of the film. Beatrice Straight, Ned Beatty, and Robert Duvall all do strong supporting work here.

Watched it today in Cinema Hall..Awesome movie..Will keep you guessing..
Now you see me

An FBI agent and an Interpol detective track a team of illusionists who pull off bank heists during their performances and reward their audiences with the money.

Must watch movie..

MV5BMTc4OTkyOTA3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDIxNjk5._V1_SX214_.jpg

A brilliant pianist, a Polish Jew, witnesses the restrictions Nazis place on Jews in the Polish capital, from restricted access to the building of the Warsaw ghetto. As his family is rounded up to be shipped off to the Nazi labor camps, he escapes deportation and eludes capture by living in the ruins of Warsaw.

The Pianist (2002) - IMDb

V.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back