The Movies I Liked

MV5BMjA5NTA3NzQ5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTYxNjY0OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

The story of a tourist family in Thailand caught in the destruction and chaotic aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

The Impossible (2012) - IMDb

V.

MV5BMjA5NTA3NzQ5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTYxNjY0OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

The story of a tourist family in Thailand caught in the destruction and chaotic aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

The Impossible (2012) - IMDb

V.

Yeah I have also watched this movie. Quiet good.

Yesterday, watched Gangster Squad

Gangster Squad (2013) - IMDb

gangster_squad_1.jpg

"Ganster Squad" is a thriller that will keep you glued to the screen. But the critiques in America are very skeptical about the it. I have enjoyed. The screenplay is not great, I agree. But the characters, the action has style and the charm works. It must be seen as an urban western film.

Rififi (1955)

An excellent film. Though there are countless heist films, this one stands out because the whole heist sequence has no dialogues. From IMDB trivia....

The much imitated heist sequence is over 32 minutes long and contains not a single line of dialogue or music. The production crew and composer Georges Auric thought it would be a disaster to have such a long sequence sans dialogue. Auric insisted that he allow him to write a grand piece of music for the scene and he eventually did on his own. Later Dassin played the part for Auric twice, once with the score, once without. Auric turned to him and admitted, "Without the music".

Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

Liked it much more than Argo.

Kwaidan (1964)

Directed by Masaki Kobayashi. This is definitely not for those who go in expecting a horror movie as that would be a wrong classification. This has four segments based on Japanese supernatural folk tales taken from the book of the same name. The first one was OK, the second one was better (features Tatsuya Nakadai). The third one (Hoichi: The Earless) is not only the longest, but also the best. The fourth one was a good follow-up.

Watched In The House

A good thriller.

Dans la maison (2012) - IMDb

9XYcj.jpg

The movie storyline is quiet unique. A seductive film, In the House (Dans la maison), which is perhaps the strongest work of Franois Ozon, this time the main character is a joyless schoolteacher and failed novelist whose vicarious involvement in a gifted students reality-based fiction reawakens his senses until the scenario gets out of hand.

Quiet intriguing. I can vouch if you start watching, you won't be able to get up until the end.

Watch "Four Lions". It is brilliant, bordered on dark humour and makes you feel sad and understand a little more the present crisis, especially after the recent Boston incident.

Another one, "The Amour", a French film, will make you revisit parental relationships and what is life all about when you near the end.

These are meant for serious film-watchers and not for those who seek just entertainment.

cheers.
murali

Nema-ye Nazdik (1990)

A real life incident, some real footage, re-enactments by actual persons and probably lot of added scenes in the court room (I don't think any court allows interruption by a director) - which creates neither a documentary nor a drama, may be a docu-drama? Whatever. The case is too simple - Sabzian got arrested for impersonating director Makhmalbaf to a family. He makes them believe that he wants to shoot at their house and even conducts rehearsals with their sons. The victim family feels cheated and believes he had a plot to commit burglary. But, why did he choose to impersonate a director? What was his real intention?

At first, I thought this would be sheer boredom. As the film went along, I got interested in Sabzian and his views on art, films and how it relates to people on the ground. My introduction to Abbas Kiarostami has started off well....

Life, and Nothing More... (1992)

Once I finished Close-up, I couldn't help but continue with one more Abbas Kiarostami film. I had no idea that it was the second part of a trilogy, but even stand alone, this was quite a good movie to watch. It was realistic, simplistic and may be we can relate to it better than westeners can.

Amidst the ruins of the earthquake, a father (a director) and his son travel in search of the cast members. There is nothing 'happening' in the movie, just the people they meet and places they pass through - lot of ruins on the sides with no end in sight to terrible, rough roads interspersed with some beautiful scenery and regular, every day people. While the effects of the devastating earthquake are shown and felt, hope and the will to live on shines through the characters.

These are really, really simple films that do not offer much by way of 'artistic touches' or offer a 'fill the intellectual blanks' exercise! I think for that reason, only the patient and open minded need apply here.

I am yet to see his more famous films. Will catch them up sometime soon. I am impressed by what little I have seen of Iranian films. Need to see more of them.... :)

Last edited:
Watched once again :

Monsieur Ibrahim

Monsieur Ibrahim (2003) - IMDb

1653f.jpg

This 2004 movies brilliant cinematography and stunning acting add to a story full of life, love and growth. This coming-of-age story teaches that no matter what, you will always find love in the world, that youth and old-age can mix, and that life is a journey where two ends will meet.

Finished watching Abbas Kiarostami's "Koker trilogy". I think it is better if one watches it in the order they are made and not like me (2,1,3)

Khane-ye doust kodjast? (1987) - IMDb

A deceptively simple plot. Mohammad Reza (or Reda as per IMDB) forgot his notebook in his cousin's place and does his homework on a paper. Since he has been warned thrice already about doing his homework only in his notebook, the teacher warns him that he will be expelled the next time. His bench-mate, Ahmed mistakenly takes Reza's notebook home. When he realizes it, he wants to return it to his friend who lives in a distant place. He has no idea where he exactly lives, but is determined to return the note at any cost.

The opening sequence with a door that could not be fully closed with all the chatter from the classroom, old people reminiscing, the disciplining, the narrow pathways, (mostly) helpful characters - all take you back to a bygone era of a simple rural life in Iran. A must watch!

Through the Olive Trees (1994) - IMDb

While "Where's the Friend's Home" (I am sure something is lost in translation here) is a film, "... And Life goes on" (more appropriate than "Life and Nothing more") is a film about the director of the first film searching for the boys who acted in the first. The third is about the film making process of the second film - confusing? Wouldn't be if you watch it in order.

The film takes a very small sequence from the second film - about a young couple, Hossein whom we see talking to the father and the girl who is only heard. What if the actors who played these minor parts had a background story? That becomes the third film.

The third film opens with the casting for the part of the girl. Then an actor is cast in the role of the husband. But he stutters when he talks to a girl. So, Hossein, a helper, is cast in the role. But the girl refuses to even acknowledge his greeting. Thus unfolds the story of what happened between these two and the eventual finishing of the scene. I would rate this film a touch less than the other two. The first two are 'search films', but second and third are about life itself. I wonder if I will eventually agree with AK's take that LANM, TTOT and Taste of Cherry make a better trilogy. The best part of '... Olive' is the last few minutes, a wonderful shot from up above which follows Tahereh and Hossein until they become white dots on the road and leaves us to assume what happens in the end. I lost sleep around 3 AM and was thinking for half an hour about that shot, mostly because it follows a lengthy walk and imagined about how Bela Tarr would have shot it :o

The following is more about exploring films and not about 'Movies I liked'

While I know about many in the list, there are many I don't know about too --> Allan Fishs Decades Countdown | Wonders in the Dark

Here's an interesting way to look at films (From Unspoken Cinema: CCC or Not?). Similar charts for individual directors can be found at SCREENVILLE (and lot of commentary about Hollywood's comfort zone when it comes to independent and art films as well).

AestheticMatrix_nonCCC.jpg

Last edited:
Taste of Cherry (1997)

Can't write much about the film due to lack of spoilers tag here (why don't we have mentions and spoiler tag?). After watching it, I feel that the so called 'Koker Trilogy' have more in common than "Taste of Cherry".

In a word? dry. That is the first word that popped into my mind. It is among the most detached movies I've watched in a long time.

We are shown a man driving a truck looking for someone. He stops the range rover, looks at people, drives on. But, we are not sure about why he wants them and what he intends to do. The first person who eventually gets into his truck is told the truth, which is bit more 'digestible' compared to what we 'think' he could be. There is lot of driving around the roads of the dusty hills for a vast majority of the film. There are some beautiful, silent shots in the middle, but there's lot more of talk with the view of the RR turning around the bends. The only time there is any scenery is when it's relevant to the mood of the film. In the hands of another director, this would be all about the protoganist - his back story, why, how and what led to his situation. Who knows? It could even have become a dark comedy or a thriller in hollywood. Purposefully, Kiarostami does not go there at all - we are as much in the dark at the end of the film as at the beginning of who Badii is and why he decides to do what he is about to - an aspect very much to my liking. The ending is a bit ambiguous with visuals and sound guiding us about what may have happened (just like '... Olive....').

Ebert felt it was pretentious crap (one star rating, one less than 'Twilight', 2 less than 'You don't mess with Zohan'). I think I 'get it', but at the same time I could at no point 'love' it. It's one of those movies where repeated viewing may alter the perception one way or another. Only for the very patient.

The Last Stand ..... before I say something, I would like to share a phrase I read somewhere, which has become my mantra of how I watch or rate movies now .....
Don't blame a movie for not being what it's not meant to be ......... The last stand comes in to this category and that is exactly with the kind of expectations I sat to watch this movie, .......... I was not disappointing at all. First I am an Arnie fan, he cant act I know, he cant act, but there was some charisma, some appeal, in him that everybody, including me loved him during the 90s, call it machoness, one liners, accents, crudeness, action what ever may it be, made him lovable. Action on him just suits naturally. The last stand is far from even a remotely plausible movie, but this is not the mantra says. Arnie action is what its had to be done nicely and the movie does it. The entire end gun shootout is shot very decently with enough blood and violence to make it enjoyable, rest of the movie hold enough to make the audience sit for the climax................6.8/10 for our good old Arnie ..... HE IS BACK.... :-)

Last edited:
Jack Reacher ....After a long time a genuine action thriller with a good amount of decent investigation and suspense as well. loved seeing Tom Cruise in a role reminiscent of Bourn or Danial Craig as Bond. Plot is best explained by the IMDB tagline itself "A homicide investigator digs deeper into a case involving a trained military sniper who shot five random victims". Investigator is played by Tom and in my opinion he played it really well. For Home Theater fans, the end shootout sound done by the assault rifles is really really well done and is beautifully staged among the 5 speakers...............6.8/10 for this one as well.

Taste of Cherry (1997)

Can't write much about the film due to lack of spoilers tag here (why don't we have mentions and spoiler tag?). After watching it, I feel that the so called 'Koker Trilogy' have more in common than "Taste of Cherry".

In a word? dry. That is the first word that popped into my mind. It is among the most detached movies I've watched in a long time.

We are shown a man driving a truck looking for someone. He stops the range rover, looks at people, drives on. But, we are not sure about why he wants them and what he intends to do. The first person who eventually gets into his truck is told the truth, which is bit more 'digestible' compared to what we 'think' he could be. There is lot of driving around the roads of the dusty hills for a vast majority of the film. There are some beautiful, silent shots in the middle, but there's lot more of talk with the view of the RR turning around the bends. The only time there is any scenery is when it's relevant to the mood of the film. In the hands of another director, this would be all about the protoganist - his back story, why, how and what led to his situation. Who knows? It could even have become a dark comedy or a thriller in hollywood. Purposefully, Kiarostami does not go there at all - we are as much in the dark at the end of the film as at the beginning of who Badii is and why he decides to do what he is about to - an aspect very much to my liking. The ending is a bit ambiguous with visuals and sound guiding us about what may have happened (just like '... Olive....').

Ebert felt it was pretentious crap (one star rating, one less than 'Twilight', 2 less than 'You don't mess with Zohan'). I think I 'get it', but at the same time I could at no point 'love' it. It's one of those movies where repeated viewing may alter the perception one way or another. Only for the very patient.

I don't agree with Ebert here, and I liked this movie very much. Except for the "meta" ending. On reading up a bit about the movie I did understand it needed to be ended that way because of censorship issues, but I wish the exposition in the last few minutes had been cut out.

I had been going through a particularly trying situation in my life at the time I saw the movie, and that could be why I could understand it and identify with the main character's mental state so easily. This movie, and many others I saw after it (and before it too), did show me how beautiful the cherry can taste like, if I simply took the effort to pay attention to the cherry while tasting it.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back