The Movies I Liked

Paycheck [2003]

Paycheck (2003) - IMDb

A good Action/Sci-Fi movie. Story is fairly good, about memory erasing after getting some important work done. Cinematography is very well done. Ben Affleck and Uma Thurman were just okay in their performance. A one time watchable movie.

Django Unchained [2012]

Paycheck (2003) - IMDb

A very good Western Action/Drama movie. Story is good, nice job by Tarantino, and Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio put up a splendid performance.Jamie Foxx and Samuel L. Jackson were okay in their performance. Cinematography and Background score were also good. Worth a watch.

Lincoln [2012]

Lincoln (2012) - IMDb

A good History/Drama movie about the US History, the Civil War/Slavery during Lincoln's reign . Good story, nice performance by Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln. Good cinematography. Worth a watch.

The Last Stand [2013]

The Last Stand (2013) - IMDb

A very good Action movie. A very good come back by Arnold Schwarzenegger. The story is good, nice Background score. The action scenes are very well done, specially the scenes involving the Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1. Good performance by the supporting actors also. All in all a good movie which is worth a watch.

Vishwaroopam [2013]

Vishwaroopam (2013) - IMDb

A very good Action movie on terrorism. Story is good, fantastic performance by Kamal Hassan in the first half of the movie. And for the first time an Indian movie has got the VisualEffects perfect. But Pooja Kumar was really bad with her fake tamil accent. She must be eliminated in the sequel. Otherwise overall good movie.

Cheers.

I don't agree with Ebert here, and I liked this movie very much. Except for the "meta" ending. On reading up a bit about the movie I did understand it needed to be ended that way because of censorship issues, but I wish the exposition in the last few minutes had been cut out.

I had been going through a particularly trying situation in my life at the time I saw the movie, and that could be why I could understand it and identify with the main character's mental state so easily. This movie, and many others I saw after it (and before it too), did show me how beautiful the cherry can taste like, if I simply took the effort to pay attention to the cherry while tasting it.

Exactly! I hated the meta ending. While I understand and sympathize with Kiarostami about the censorship issues, as a normal viewer, I was pissed. Whatever happened to trusting the intelligence of the audience? That docked a few stars from me.

I think this movie appeals to a select few. I completely understood when Badii says "It wouldn't help you to know and I can't talk about it. And you wouldn't understand. It's not because you don't understand, but you can't feel what I feel. You can sympathize, understand, show compassion. But feel my pain? No". There have been many instances where others rationalized my situation, but never understood my feelings. If taken at face value, it's just a dialogue. But, if you have felt a variance of it at some point in time, it is a reflection of a moment in your life. That is why these films never attain mass appeal :)

PS: And yes! small moments in life are what keeps me going too. Nothing beats a few minutes in the quiet morning hearing nothing but birds, watching plants sway to the wind and a dry leaf floating and descending in the distance. Unfortunately, rest of the life sucks in comparison! ;)

True Grit ..... well this is my 4th movie I have seen from Coen Brothers and though it does not disappoint, for me it was not as gritty as some of the recent, westerns I have seen, and certainly no way near to the spectacular, mind blowing No country for old men ...... Plot is simple a 14 year old girl hires the supposedly called true grit Jeff Bridges (awsome performance) to peruse the killer and to be brought to justice. Along comes Matt Demon (Texas ranger) also in pursuit of the same.
The pace is ok, performances was fine, but characters in themselves were a bit flat, specially the girl...... anyway the movie never loses interest though .....6.5/10

MV5BMTYzMzU4NDUwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM5MjA5Ng@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

A married couple are faced with a difficult decision - to improve the life of their child by moving to another country or to stay in Iran and look after a deteriorating parent who has Alzheimer's disease.

Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (2011) - IMDb

(The movie is not in English language, i saw with help of Sub Titles.)

V.

David [2013]

David (2013) - IMDb

A time pass Drama/Crime movie. Story revolves around 3 characters all named David, but set in 3 different era's and places. The best character is of Neil Nitin Mukesh set in London in 1975 and his links to terrorism and his performance was very good. The other 2 David's were just okay, Vinay Virmani(Mumbai) mimicking Bob Marley's look and Vikram (Goa) portrayed as a drunkard. Not a must watch, but a time pass movie.

Broken City [2013]

Broken City (2013) - IMDb

A very good Drama/Crime movie. Story is good and about New York's political crime. Nice cinematography, very good performance by Russell Crowe as a crooked New York mayor. Mark Wahlberg was fine. Overall a good movie.

Cheers.

David [2013]

Broken City [2013]

Broken City (2013) - IMDb

A very good Drama/Crime movie. Story is good and about New York's political crime. Nice cinematography, very good performance by Russell Crowe as a crooked New York mayor. Mark Wahlberg was fine. Overall a good movie.

Cheers.

If you have watched Broken City then you must also watch
L.A .Confidential 1997 as a prelude to Broken City.

L.A. Confidential (1997) - IMDb

MV5BMTQ5MTU4MzQ5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjY1OTM2MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Man what comparison, Broken City was just ok at the best, below avg. and L.A Confidential is just mind blowing, my one of the top 10 movies of all time ....

MV5BMTczMjIzOTA1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDEwMDcwOQ@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

One afternoon, on a typical day at work, Adib is confronted with devastating news: His eldest daughter, Muna, has gone missing in Damascus. Now Adib, who has not been back in over 20 years, must return to Syria and deal with his secret past in order to find her. Inescapable is a thriller about a father's desperate search for his daughter and the chaos of the Middle East he left behind.

Inescapable (2012) - IMDb

V.

Carnage (2011) - IMDb

An amazing movie by Roman Polanski with a A-list of actors - Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster and Christopher Waltz.

A simple story of two couples trying to amicably resolve the issue of one couple's son having hit the other's son with a stick.

The simple meeting starts with a lot of civility and goes on to become a no-holds barred fight between the couples as well as with each others spouses.

Highly recommended.

Gangster Squad [2013]

Gangster Squad (2013) - IMDb

A good Crime/Drama movie. Story (based on true events) is about the American Prohibition era's gangster Micky Cohen.(working for Al Capone) played by Sean Penn and very good performance by him. Cinematography is very good and stylized. Good background score. A full entertainment movie for Crime/Drama lovers.

Cheers.

Parker [2013]

Parker (2013) - IMDb

A cool and entertaining Action movie. Story is just fine, and Jason Statham's performance was good. Good cinematography. Nick Nolte's performance was also good .
Jennifer Lopez was okay, stuck in a love triangle. Over all a nice movie to watch for Statham fans

Cheers.

MV5BMTM1NDQzMDg1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQ0OTk0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Nick Hume is a mild-mannered executive with a perfect life, until one gruesome night he witnesses something that changes him forever. Transformed by grief, Hume eventually comes to the disturbing conclusion that no length is too great when protecting his family.

Death Sentence (2007) - IMDb

V.

How many of you put "Schindler's List " in your top 10 list ?
Others to mention are
" The Pursuit of HappYness "
" How to train your Dragon "
" Victory "
" Saving Private Ryan "

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back