The Movies I Liked

We have similar taste. Some of my recent purchases that I can also recommend are...

A Streetcar Named Desire
On The Waterfront
The Dirty Dozen
The Guns of Navarone
Where Eagles Dare
Giant
East of Eden

Alfred Hitchcock is on my wish list too.

Very true... I also would love to own Where Eagles Dare on Blu-ray. I own it on DVD but on Blu-ray it would be a different story altogether.

Anyone have Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare on bluray? If so, what's the AV quality like? IIRC, the Amazon UK reviews were not very good for Guns of Navarone.

Was very impressed with Malayalam movie 'Mumbai Police' , 2013.
Would recommend some of non-mallu FMs to watch it and comment about the movie. Very much interested to know the reaction. Also recommend not to do any reading about the movie prior to watching it :) .

I saw it recently without reading up properly.. Must say I was bummed at the end.. Kerala and technology... So You liked the movie?

Watched Now You See Me (2013)

Now You See Me (2013) - IMDb

An FBI agent and an Interpol detective track a team of illusionists who pull off bank heists during their performances and reward their audiences with the money.

Four magicians each answer a mysterious summons to an obscure address with secrets inside. A year later, they are the Four Horseman, big time stage illusionists who climax their sold out Las Vegas show with a bank apparently robbed for real. This puts agents Dylan Rhodes of the FBI and Alma Vargas of Interpol on the case to find out how they did it. However, this mystery proves difficult to solve even with the insights of the professional illusion exposer, Thaddeus Bradley. What follows is a bizarre investigation where nothing is what it seems with illusions, dark secrets and hidden agendas galore as all involved are reminded of a great truth in this puzzle: the closer you look, the less you see.

now-you-see-me-dvd-cover-78.jpg

Really Good entertaining Movie. The ending surprised me quite a lot. A must watch for fun.

Just finished... Impressed with the way the story unfolded.. Thank god they dint try a sorcerers apprentice kinda mixed era shit..

Hi All,

As my children were clamouring to see the Chennai Express at the earliest, today went with them to view the film here in Chennai. I have to admit that not once I felt I was viewing a Hindi film. It was down right a Tamil film all the way. They do speak few Hindi words in between but that was quite far and insignificant. Not sure if I viewed a tamil version (if there is one in the first place). Director Rohit Shetty and his team has done a fab work and we all thoroughly enjoyed the film to the core. It was quite risky on part of Rohit Shetty that there were no subtitles shown (Hindi or English) when major part of dialogues in the movie was Tamil. I wonder how the audience in the Hindi belt felt about this? Was there any subtitles shown in these areas? Or is it that " NEVER UNDERSTIMATE THE POWER OF A COMMON MAN" (as per SRK), bhashaa ki nahin, dil ki zubaan samajna chaahiye...national integration at the best for the upcoming Independance Day. A Seamless merging of Bollywood and Kollywood - it's just wood now.

Cheers.

Good you liked it.. I found it out right confusion between Tamil and Malayalam and absolutely no sense as a movie.. It is good masala type movie.. I just feel bad that chennai express made more money than d day or madras cafe did..

Hi All,

As my children were clamouring to see the Chennai Express at the earliest, today went with them to view the film here in Chennai. I have to admit that not once I felt I was viewing a Hindi film. It was down right a Tamil film all the way. They do speak few Hindi words in between but that was quite far and insignificant. Not sure if I viewed a tamil version (if there is one in the first place). Director Rohit Shetty and his team has done a fab work and we all thoroughly enjoyed the film to the core. It was quite risky on part of Rohit Shetty that there were no subtitles shown (Hindi or English) when major part of dialogues in the movie was Tamil. I wonder how the audience in the Hindi belt felt about this? Was there any subtitles shown in these areas? Or is it that " NEVER UNDERSTIMATE THE POWER OF A COMMON MAN" (as per SRK), bhashaa ki nahin, dil ki zubaan samajna chaahiye...national integration at the best for the upcoming Independance Day. A Seamless merging of Bollywood and Kollywood - it's just wood now.

Cheers.

Good you liked it.. I found it out right confusion between Tamil and Malayalam and absolutely no sense as a movie.. It is good masala type movie.. I just feel bad that chennai express made more money than d day or madras cafe did..

Loved it myself actually... and I'm not an SRK fan and don't like Deepika Padukone either but the movie itself was lots of fun. Did not feel like I was watching a Tamil movie though Deepika''s version of Hindi was very funny for the most part.

Rohit Shetty continues to entertain with his brand of comedy

Watched : The Whistleblower

The Whistleblower (2010) - IMDb

A drama based on the experiences of Kathryn Bolkovac, a Nebraska cop who served as a peacekeeper in post-war Bosnia and outed the U.N. for covering up a sex scandal.

This movie is like an eyeopener for all of us. An excellent movie but extremely disturbing. When you put a lot of faith into an association such as the United Nations and realize that corruption lies even there, it is depressing and we continue to realize that money is still "the root of all evil" and morality, not religion, but just plain sensible morals do not always exist.

Highly recommended for any film lover and sensible persons !

the-whistleblower-cover.jpg

Soul Kitchen
Soul Kitchen (2009) - IMDb

MV5BMjIzNDU4NTIxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjAxMTM2Mw@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

In Hamburg, German-Greek chef Zinos unknowingly disturbs the peace in his locals-only restaurant by hiring a more talented chef.

It's been very nice watching something less Hollywood style, and yet rooted in soul music, but not only that - the whole plot is very interesting to follow in particular when it comes to relations among the characters. Really enjoyed this movie even if it comes in German language. In in this time of recession and global crisis the movies as well develops the plot about private property which becomes very important and therefore worth protecting. At certain point I was not sure if the owner of Soul Kitchen will be able to get it back as his situation was more than difficult, but there was such a twist at the end and it all ended just fine (glad for that)..Last but not least, I would most definitely recommend this movie to everyone interested in music and arts in general.

Noriko Trilogy

My original plan was to watch something mild, perhaps a horror / thriller and call it a night. I casually started watching Ozu's Late Spring (1949) in the afternoon. At first, I wasn't that interested. All I kept thinking was even Indian films of that period (1950-60) could have been made with the same story. What makes it any different? I was also a bit annoyed by the constant cheerful face of Setsuko Hara, who played the central character of Noriko. Later on when she went through a range of emotions from anger to sadness, I realized how it helped set a visible contrast in the mood of the film. I was hooked and went onto see the second film in the trilogy, Early Summer (1951). Though they are part of a trilogy, they are stand-alone films sharing only the same central character name (played by the same actress with similar cast members around her) with a similar problem, but in a different setting. Both are simple, quiet films in a family setting, largely happening inside a house which just happen to be good.

I later finished the amazing Tokyo Story (1953), where everything is taken up a notch. So far the best of Ozu's four films for me (The other one being A Story of Floating Weeds (1934)). I would say that it is among the few 'must see' films of that era.

If anybody is interested, I would suggest watching all three films. There are similarities and parallels between all three films which is interesting to link (Missing son in the second and third films, parallels between first and third, differences between first and second etc., etc.,).

An American Werewolf in London (1981) is a good horror-comedy which despite it's age was quite likable, particularly Jenny Agutter :licklips:

When I first came across The Lincoln Lawyer (2011) on some channel recently, I skipped it because it felt like a CSI-kinda story with a bigger budget. It was quite enjoyable actually. The reverse of that would be "Now You see Me", which I thought I'd like, but didn't, despite the great cast and potential.

We Were Soldiers [2002]

We Were Soldiers (2002) - IMDb

A very good War/Drama movie. Story is about Vietnam War. Nice performance by Mel Gibson. Very good cinematography and back ground score. Good watch.

Breakout [2013]

Breakout (2013) - IMDb

A very good Drama/Thriller movie. Story starts off a little uninterestingly but half way through gets viewer really intrigued. Very good performance by Ethan Suplee. Good cinematography.

Before Midnight [2013]

Before Midnight (2013) - IMDb

A very good Romantic/Drama movie. This is the prequel to Before Sunrise (1995) - IMDb and Before Sunset (2004) - IMDb. The sequel was better than the first and the prequel is the best among the three. Cinematography is very simple and brilliant. Very good performance by the lead roles Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. Worth a watch.

Cheers.

Even if you are not a foodie you will surely enjoy these films ? All these films centers on FOOD.

Babette's Feast

Babette's Feast (1987) - IMDb

In 19th century Denmark, two adult sisters live in an isolated village with their father, who is the honored pastor of a small Protestant church that is almost a sect unto itself. Although they each are presented with a real opportunity to leave the village, the sisters choose to stay with their father, to serve to him and their church. After some years, a French woman refugee, Babette, arrives at their door, begs them to take her in, and commits herself to work for them as maid/housekeeper/cook. Sometime after their father dies, the sisters decide to hold a dinner to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his birth. Babette experiences unexpected good fortune and implores the sisters to allow her to take charge of the preparation of the meal. Although they are secretly concerned about what Babette, a Catholic and a foreigner, might do, the sisters allow her to go ahead. Babette then prepares the feast of a lifetime for the members of the tiny church and an important gentleman related to one of them.

51A2BJ1WTML.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Combination of Grard Depardieu, Uma Thurman, + Food = Sumptuous :licklips:

Vatel (2000)

Vatel (2000) - IMDb

51EW6T4W8CL.jpg

In 1671, with war brewing with Holland, a penniless prince invites Louis XIV to three days of festivities at a chateau in Chantilly. The prince wants a commission as a general, so the extravagances are to impress the king. In charge of all is the steward, Vatel, a man of honor, talent, and low birth. The prince is craven in his longing for stature: no task is too menial or dishonorable for him to give Vatel. While Vatel tries to sustain dignity, he finds himself attracted to Anne de Montausier, the king's newest mistress. In Vatel, she finds someone who's authentic, living out his principles within the casual cruelties of court politics. Can the two of them escape unscathed?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Chocolat

Chocolat (2000) - IMDb

641.jpg

A woman and her daughter open a chocolate shop in a small French village that shakes up the rigid morality of the community.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) - IMDb

FXT1tOR.jpg

A young boy wins a tour through the most magnificent chocolate factory in the world, led by the world's most unusual candy maker.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Like Water for Chocolate

Lovers of the Arctic Circle (1998) - IMDb

MV5BMTUxNDI3MTIyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzg5NDEzMQ@@._V1._SX345_SY500_.jpg

This movie is about how life used to be in Mexico. It is a love story between Pedro and Tita, and why they coudn't get married because Tita's mother wanted her oldest daughter to get married first, and have Tita to stay and take care of her. It shows how marriage was imposed on those times, and how a love between two people can change everything. This picture set a new epoch in Mexican movies all over the world.

Bon appetit

Hello.. Which site do you download from.. I'm not getting good sounds in 2gb brrip... Looking for some reliable ones.. Torrents?

Check your PM. Hope that helps.
Please don't ask or mention torrents on this forum publicly, else moderator will make a note of it!!
You can always send a PM for such helps.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back