The Movies I Liked

Watched The East The East (2013) - IMDb

An operative for an elite private intelligence firm finds her priorities changing dramatically after she is tasked with infiltrating an anarchist group known for executing covert attacks upon major corporations.

the-east-poster.png

After Juno I'm in love with Ellen Page !

Just finished watching Killing Season... A good movie with a different approach for seeking revenge of war.

With a rating of 5.3 on imdb.com, I was hesitant to watching it. But when I did watch it, I liked it and would give it a 7 out of 10. Other than the accent of John Travolta speaking in Serbian, the movie was entertaining.

220px-Killing_Season_film_poster.jpg

The Rocket (2013) - IMDb

Liked this Australian film about the life in Laos of a family which is made to relocate due to a hydroelectric project. The story grows nicely without too much masala and is engrossing due to the two child artists.

The finale is about a rocket making competition and how the child decides to participate in it to primarily break the perception that he is a bad omen.

Furious 6 (2013) - IMDb - More of the same action. The car chases and action is better... more harder and gripping... but the story asks you suspend your logic (with the dead Letty returning). Jason Statham makes an entry at the very end... so the 7th movie in the series all looks to be a blast with heavy weights like Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham in addition to the rest of the ensemble cast.

Iron Man 3 (2013) - IMDb - Robert Downey Jr. is in fine form and gets the usual laughter with his comic timing. Gwyneth Paltrow continues to wow despite her age and Don Cheadle is ok. Ben Kingsley is disappointing as The Mandarin (Ben is good but the character itself disappoints) and thankfully Guy Pearce is good as the villain. The movie takes off after The Avengers and focusses more on Iron Man and less on The Avengers, story is ok, the SFX are great and picture quality on Blu-ray is really good. Wish the story had more depth but it more than makes up for it with multiple Iron Men in the climax.

Does 'Ben Hur' have rewatching value ? Never have watched it. Thinking to grab bluray @ 50% off.

As stated earlier, the "rewatch" part is an individual perspective. To me, "Ben Hur" is a must have. I watch it quite often. I have it on DVD but do not see the need to upgrade to BD as yet.

Whether a movie has a rewatching value or not will mostly depend on individual perspective and taste.

I will not really want to rewatch it, but considering the popularity of the film and also the 50% discount, I would not mind it buying. (but I have decided not to buy any bds for next couple of months even if there is 90% discount)

I bought bridge on river kwai bd. I have watched it earlier and would not mind watching it again. To me, it has a rewatching value.

As stated earlier, the "rewatch" part is an individual perspective. To me, "Ben Hur" is a must have. I watch it quite often. I have it on DVD but do not see the need to upgrade to BD as yet.

Oh...just missed the opportunity to get it at half price as amazon also ended the offer. May be next time. However, i read the colour and sound is better in BD. Still couldnot decide to get the dvd or BD as it is an old movie.

Actually, I often get confused whether to get BD or DVD for OLD movies.

However, i read the colour and sound is better in BD. Still couldnot decide to get the dvd or BD as it is an old movie.

I recently bought Strangers on a Train BD. Now considering the age of the movie, I think it wasn't really a good decision to invest on BD since the difference between the PQ in dvd and bd is not much (my thought though).

Then again, I somewhat felt proud to have a classic bd no matter how the PQ is.

I recently bought Strangers on a Train BD. Now considering the age of the movie, I think it wasn't really a good decision to invest on BD since the difference between the PQ in dvd and bd is not much (my thought though).

Then again, I somewhat felt proud to have a classic bd no matter how the PQ is.
yeah... proud thing is quite right. Although, during discount like the recent one, BDs like this can be purchased. I think DVDs will be sufficient for movies older than 80s.

Most released prior 80's, especially if Hindi, then getting a dvd is good enough and if your player has an upscaling facility, then its great.

And it also depend on what kind of movie you are watching and on what set up.

e.g.

I have watched two movies today on bluray - the sixth sense in the morning and in the evening my girlfriend was watching dabangg 2 (which i was partially watching between my work).

Though Dabanng kind of movies are not really my cup of tea, but only considering the experience of watching movies on my HT (half built though), I think dabangg gave a better soundwise experience with all those punches, glass shattering etc. than sixth sense.

So very difficult to come to a conclusion as to whether buy a particular movie on a dvd or bd.

So very difficult to come to a conclusion as to whether buy a particular movie on a dvd or bd.

Suggest you check out sites like blu-ray.com which will give you insights into the quality and transfer of prints/ sound/ colour etc - you can then decide if it is worth going for a BD. Some movies from the 50's and 60's - (among my favorites) - are truly stunning in BD.

Suggest you check out sites like blu-ray.com which will give you insights into the quality and transfer of prints/ sound/ colour etc - you can then decide if it is worth going for a BD. Some movies from the 50's and 60's - (among my favorites) - are truly stunning in BD.
Excellent suggestion.

I have the BD of a few 30's, 40's and later classics that subscribe to above suggestion. One example that comes to mind is All Quiet on the Western Front. The BD has been brilliantly restored, smudges and scratches removed, sound improved, hiss eliminated, etc.

Hachi: A Dog's Tale [2009]

Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2009) - IMDb

A very good Drama movie. Based on a true story from Japan. Story is about a dogs faith towards his master. Story is very good and really plays with the viewers emotions, nice performance by Richard Gere , good cinematography and back ground score. A must watch for all dog lovers.

A Single Shot [2013]

A Single Shot (2013) - IMDb

A nice Drama/Thriller movie. Story is good, supported by a good background score. Nice performance by Sam Rockwell.

Adore [2013]

Adore (2013) - IMDb

A good Drama movie. Story is good and weired in a kind. Nice performance by Robin Wright and Naomi Watts. Shooting location is also good. Worth a watch.

Cheers.

Oh...just missed the opportunity to get it at half price as amazon also ended the offer. May be next time. However, i read the colour and sound is better in BD. Still couldnot decide to get the dvd or BD as it is an old movie.

Actually, I often get confused whether to get BD or DVD for OLD movies.

Get the BD if you don't already have the DVD of Ben-Hur, more so if it is the 50th Anniversary edition and if at INR 499 or less it's a great price for the BD. The A/V quality is amazing on the UK version of the BD I have and yes, for me, it is re-watchable, but YMMV.

In addition to blu-ray.com, which is a great resource, you can also search for the string "blu" in customer reviews of a BD on Amazon since Amazon tends to lump DVD, BD reviews together.

A few other classics that are great on BD are Zulu, Tora Tora Tora, The Longest Day and relatively new classic Das Boot.

Last edited:
As suggested by everyone here clears your point but just wanted to add my 2 cents...

You can even check this website which has specific reviews to movies on Blu-ray releases and mind you its in-depth. It has more than 2500 movies on Blu-ray reviewed. http://blubeaver.ca/

Some of the old movies on Blu-ray which I have are Tora! Tora! Tora!, The Guns of the Navarone, Das Boot, To Kill a Mocking Bird are all with exceptional transfers without any glitches or issues.

On my wishlist... Benhur (3 Disc Edition), Doctor Zhivago, The Bridge on The River Kwai, Zulu, The Great Escape, Complete Alfred Hitchcock Set and a few more.

Last edited:
Was very impressed with Malayalam movie 'Mumbai Police' , 2013.
Would recommend some of non-mallu FMs to watch it and comment about the movie. Very much interested to know the reaction. Also recommend not to do any reading about the movie prior to watching it :) .

As suggested by everyone here clears your point but just wanted to add my 2 cents...

You can even check this website which has specific reviews to movies on Blu-ray releases and mind you its in-depth. It has more than 2500 movies on Blu-ray reviewed. http://blubeaver.ca/

Some of the old movies on Blu-ray which I have are Tora! Tora! Tora!, The Guns of the Navarone, Das Boot, To Kill a Mocking Bird are all with exceptional transfers without any glitches or issues.

On my wishlist... Benhur (3 Disc Edition), Doctor Zhivago, The Bridge on The River Kwai, Zulu, The Great Escape, Complete Alfred Hitchcock Set and a few more.

We have similar taste. Some of my recent purchases that I can also recommend are...

A Streetcar Named Desire
On The Waterfront
The Dirty Dozen
The Guns of Navarone
Where Eagles Dare
Giant
East of Eden

Alfred Hitchcock is on my wish list too.

We have similar taste. Some of my recent purchases that I can also recommend are...

A Streetcar Named Desire
On The Waterfront
The Dirty Dozen
The Guns of Navarone
Where Eagles Dare
Giant
East of Eden

Alfred Hitchcock is on my wish list too.

All the movies you have listed are the cult movies and almost all would like to watch or own them. I have been eyeing the entire set of 39 Hitchcock movies from AMZ-China (currently unavailable), but online payment mechanism is a bit complicated for that one, only option is something call Allpay (they say it has some link with Paypal or so).

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back