The Movies I Liked

Re: The Movie I Liked

Badrinath Ki Dulhaniya 2017 : rating 2/5 Its a David Dhawan movie with dialogues written by Karan Johar and most importantly without Govinda. Time pass at the best.

Raabta 2017 : rating 1/5 Nonsensical to say the least, Waste of a movie. Instead Watch Hindi dubbed version of 2009 Telugu movie Magadheera (by Baahubali director) from which this is inspired; Which is miles better.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

The Revenant (2015) - IMDb - Wow... what a ride. Extremely acerbic, but in a good kind of way. The story is simple, a man is attacked and left to die, and then goes on a revenge spree. But the events take place in frontier land and the harshest of weather conditions and all of this makes for one of the most gruelling and physically demanding movies of all time - a must watch.

Knockout performances by both the leads - Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy, who also worked together on the excellent Inception.

Deepwater Horizon (2016) - IMDb - Not another world ending disaster movie, though it's based on real life events of a disaster on an oil rig.

First half is purely human drama with some folks wanting to ensure the safety of the people and the oil rig, while others want profits over safety. It's in the second half when things start going horribly wrong with lots of explosions, fires, etc.

Some of the best cinematography in recent times, the huge vistas of nature, sunsets, etc. especially at the beginning of the movie are excellent and a joy to behold.

It's the audio however that takes things to the next level, easily one of the best tracks ever on Dolby Atmos, this is easily reference quality, and one movie you will want to show off your home theater on.

Highly recommended for the audio alone and particularly in Dolby Atmos.

Posting after a long hiatus as I found a gem of a movie .........

It's second installment of Nordic noir series Department Q. If you are not familiar with this series then just google.

Fasandrberne (2014) - IMDb

"The Absent One" features a typical Scandinavian well- interwoven thriller plot full of vengeance, revelations and some scary crimes.

If you have not watched the first installment 'The Keeper of the Lost Causes' then Watch it right now :-)

Department Q: The Keeper of Lost Causes (2013) - IMDb

Another great Non-Hollywood thriller. Ve stnu (2012) - Plot Summary - IMDb

In the former Czechoslovakia, 1950s, police captain Hakl investigates a jewelery robbery. An opened safe deposit leads to a known burglar. What seems an easy case soon starts to tangle. When he is called off the case, he continues on his own. The investigation leads him onto thin ice. Can he beat a stronger enemy and save his family and his own life?

The movie succeeds to create very engrossing atmosphere, design and costumes which perfectly reflect the year 1953. It is also a drama and it is a pleasure to perceive the great performances of actors.

Inferno (2016) - IMDb An ok movie, or actually a nothing movie. I only watched cause Irrfan Khan was in it. Tom Hanks has done much better, especially with Ron Howard.

Even with the likes of Felicity Jones and Ben Foster for company, Inferno can be given a miss.

Dunkirk .... ... Was good for me nothing exceptional. See if you measure the movie from the cinematography perspective, technical stand point, creative camera work and apt and to the point portrayal of human emotions, this actually will score pretty high, a 7.5/10 on my scale, BUT as far as the thrill, tension, edge of the seat, war brutality, horror, chaos is concerned it was ok at the best. War might be the backdrop of the movie but pivot was not showing the war as such, which is ok nothing wrong with it, I, however, felt that there was less material to actually convert the screenplay into an edge of the seat thriller war cinema ..... IMHO ofcourse ....6.8/10

PS ::: The ariel shots and the dogfights no doubt were absolutely stunningly captured. That's the best part of this movie if you ask me ....

PS2::: The director himself admits he did not want the tension in this war movie ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/trivia?item=tr3510938

Another interesting fact ::::::: """The film was criticized for not showing Indian soldiers. Four contingents of Indian soldiers fought at Dunkirk, even though Mohandas K. Gandhi had ordered all Indian people not to support the British war effort in September 1939.""""""

Last edited:
Re: The Movie I Liked

The Ottoman Lieutenant - romance at the backdrop of world war one. Not much action scene but it's not the intention of the movie anyway. Nice acting by the leads and certainly can watch once for engaging screenplay.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Posting after a long hiatus as I found a gem of a movie .........

It's second installment of Nordic noir series Department Q. If you are not familiar with this series then just google.

Fasandrberne (2014) - IMDb

"The Absent One" features a typical Scandinavian well- interwoven thriller plot full of vengeance, revelations and some scary crimes.

If you have not watched the first installment 'The Keeper of the Lost Causes' then Watch it right now :-)

Department Q: The Keeper of Lost Causes (2013) - IMDb

Yes...Already Watched this Trilogy series.

You may watch third franchise...Department Q: A Conspiracy of Faith (2016)

Another great Non-Hollywood thriller. Ve stnu (2012) - Plot Summary - IMDb

In the former Czechoslovakia, 1950s, police captain Hakl investigates a jewelery robbery. An opened safe deposit leads to a known burglar. What seems an easy case soon starts to tangle. When he is called off the case, he continues on his own. The investigation leads him onto thin ice. Can he beat a stronger enemy and save his family and his own life?

The movie succeeds to create very engrossing atmosphere, design and costumes which perfectly reflect the year 1953. It is also a drama and it is a pleasure to perceive the great performances of actors.

Wow...Thanks for the suggestion.: clapping:

Added to watchlist:)

A film from Germany. A very well written script and a tight thriller.

Das letzte Schweigen (2010) - IMDb

13-year-old Sinikka vanishes on a hot summer night. Her bicycle is found in the exact place where a girl was killed 23 years ago. The dramatic present forces those involved in the original case to face their past.

Really liked the the music score, the long-lasting effect of haunting piano music will make you shiver.

A film from Germany. A very well written script and a tight thriller.

Das letzte Schweigen (2010) - IMDb

13-year-old Sinikka vanishes on a hot summer night. Her bicycle is found in the exact place where a girl was killed 23 years ago. The dramatic present forces those involved in the original case to face their past.

Really liked the the music score, the long-lasting effect of haunting piano music will make you shiver.

Yes..Korean version also watched...but forget name:sad:

Guys...thanks for recommending Department Q. I like Scandinavian noir. Especially Stieg Larson's trilogy. Their stuff is pure evil :)!

Here are my recos:

1. Head Hunters - simply astonishing.

2. Let the Right One In / Lt den rtte komma in (original title) - And you thought only adults could be peculiar! Lina Leandersson turns in a sensational performance.

Guys...thanks for recommending Department Q. I like Scandinavian noir. Especially Stieg Larson's trilogy. Their stuff is pure evil :)!

Here are my recos:

1. Head Hunters - simply astonishing.

2. Let the Right One In / Lt den rtte komma in (original title) - And you thought only adults could be peculiar! Lina Leandersson turns in a sensational performance.

You may scroll down...You may pick best movies.:)

Collide (2016) - IMDb - Not as bad as the reviews make it out to be... not a great movie, but a decent fast paced action thriller with fast cars (if you are tired of Dom and the F&F series).

A super starcast in Nicholas Hoult, Felicity Jones, Anthony Hopkins, and the wonderful Ben Kingsley. However, Collide is not a platform for their acting chops to be on display.

Both audio and video are strong points, cannot fault the video in anyway, and the audio is certainly up to par in the action sequences and the many car chases that are also excellently shot.

If you have nothing better to watch, then watch Collide for what could have been... and for some thrilling action that never lets up for the entire duration of the movie.

Sleepless (2017) - IMDb - Upfront... I liked it, and no I've not seen the French original. Both Jamie Foxx and Michelle Monaghan did a decent job, Gabrielle Union is totally wasted.

Simple premise, a cop's son is kidnapped and he's forced to ferry drugs for some bad guys. This of course leads to situations with bad guys out to get him as well as cops also out to get him.

The action never lets up, it's one non-stop action ride, and while it seems to be inspired by John Wick, in reality it is based on a French thriller.

A good entertainer for the entire family movie night at home. Only thing disappointing was the audio... not enough kickass SFX for a blast with the home theater. Other than that a good action thriller joyride.

Based on true events......Miraculous evacuation of Allied soldiers from the beaches and harbor of Dunkirk, France, surrounded by the German army. Christopher Nolan did a good job less battle sequence without blood and cruelty. The movie made full of dramatized tension, fear and panic. BGM was good every scene scored well.

Dunkirk (2017)
PG-13 | 1h 46min | Action, Drama, History | 21 July 2017 (USA)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back