The Movies I Liked

Lake Placid (1999) - IMDb - Lots of fun, they don't make them like this anymore. It's a lot less about SFX and more about the mystery and the comedy. A giant crocodile has started to eat people and it's up to the local sheriff, animal control, etc. to stop and kill the beast, while scientists want to capture it alive.

It's given the crocodile is huge, but that doesn't make it the centerpiece of the movie - aka exactly where the recent King Kong movie went wrong.

This movie is all about the comedy, the irrational fears people have, etc. that makes it a thoroughly enjoyable outing even though by foundation it's a mega monster movie.

Excellent ensemble cast of Bill Pullman, Bridget Fonda, Oliver Platt, Brendan Gleeson, and Betty White make this a good watch for the entire family.

Arrival (2016) - IMDb - Loved it. Amy Adams is special and ably supported by Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker. It's about aliens and their "arrival", but beyond that it's nothing like other sci-fi movies with the aliens out to destroy humanity and all out galactic war.

Instead Arrival focuses on communication and learning the language and words necessary to communicate with a different life form. Imagine if you had to talk to ants, how would you begin to communicate with them. Arrival has a similar premise, but instead of ants it's humans communicating with alien life forms.

Arrival is one of the best movies in the sci-fi genre, highly recommended.

Los cronocrmenes (2007) - IMDb - Super duper movie... it's like a loop within a loop within a loop. Intricate layers that will begin to unravel and make sense as the movie unfolds. Amazingly the suspense and the interplay holds up till the very end.

Highly recommended for all movie buffs, and especially fans of sci-fi and suspense.

Los cronocrmenes ... aka. Time Crime is in my all time top 5 Time paradox movies ...... I have recommended this movie in all forums very strongly ...

Arrival (2016) - IMDb - Loved it. Amy Adams is special and ably supported by Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker. It's about aliens and their "arrival", but beyond that it's nothing like other sci-fi movies with the aliens out to destroy humanity and all out galactic war.

Didnt like it ... watch Contact make Arrival look like an Avg movie ....

The Wild Bunch (1969) - IMDb - One of the all time greats from one of the greatest director's of all time, Sam Peckinpah. Violent (though tame by today's standards), it is still one of the grittiest movies of all time.

Starts with a gun fight and ends with a gun fight. Another theme of the movie is children and violence.

William Holden is golden, and ably supported by Ernest Borgnine and Robert Ryan.

One of Sam Peckinpah's best movies, do watch it.

The Wild Bunch (1969) - IMDb - One of the all time greats from one of the greatest director's of all time, Sam Peckinpah. Violent (though tame by today's standards), it is still one of the grittiest movies of all time.

Starts with a gun fight and ends with a gun fight. Another theme of the movie is children and violence.

William Holden is golden and ably supported by Ernest Borgnine and Robert Ryan.

One of Sam Peckinpah's best movies, do watch it.

Wow...Western Movies...I always liked..It will never bored...You may watch numerous time.,
I liked Sergio Leone movies...Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson..etc.,

Journey to the West (2013) - IMDb - Not Stephen Chow's best work, tries to overdo it in the goofiness department and that turns out to be the undoing of the movie. Shu Qi is awesome as always, and the rest of the cast delivers.

The action is lacking, no amazing choreography and in the SFX department too the movie is over-reaching and as a result some of the monsters and set pieces come out looking rather ordinary or clearly CGI.

Only for the strictest fans of Shu Qi, Stephen Chow, or the oddball comedy genre.

The Lost World (1925) - IMDb - Man oh man! Pure genius for 1925. Based on The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle, this is a pretty true narration, but the SFX are a joy and spectacular for their time. I mean this was a world before CGI or even computers. Wallace Beery is the only actor I know and he's genius as a near mad/eccentric scientist who has a problem with just about everybody. Other than that it's all SFX with Dinosaurs, Pterodactyls, Ape Men, and other prehistoric animals that went extinct.

Pure joy... there is a little bit of everything. Dinosaurs and Pterodactyls fighting. Ape Man attacking. Volcanoes. The Amazon jungle. Just watch it for the historical value and the larger than life entertainment value it provides.

Re: The Movie I Liked

Thanks for bringing this movie up. one of the best movies I have ever seen.i was actually felt like went back to my college days where we used to watch lot of foreign language films.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

Spectral (2016) - IMDb - Boom boom! Some of the best SFX especially in the LFE, will kick ass if you have got a decent HT and subwoofer. Extreme intensity in the LFE for the gunfights, explosions, fights, battle scenes, etc. Just for that alone this movie is a must... a buzz for the HT and especially the subwoofer. If you don't have a dedicated HT room, and use something like the living room, do watch out, it will get your window panes rattling. If you have an enclosed home theater room then rock on. Will surely keep you entertained with the sound effects.

The story is simple, the USA poking it's nose where it doesn't belong and fighting insurgency in some part of Europe, but they run into an alien life form that kicks their asses, even their best of the best asses like special ops. It's up to your hero scientist to find out and neutralize this alien threat. A simple premise that will not tax your mind too much. The SFX though is another thing... great camera work and shots and sound effects that will let you boast about your home theater without words... just play this movie and folks will be amazed.

Spectral (2016) - IMDb - Boom boom! Some of the best SFX especially in the LFE, will kick ass if you have got a decent HT and subwoofer. Extreme intensity in the LFE for the gunfights, explosions, fights, battle scenes, etc. Just for that alone this movie is a must... a buzz for the HT and especially the subwoofer. If you don't have a dedicated HT room, and use something like the living room, do watch out, it will get your window panes rattling. If you have an enclosed home theater room then rock on. Will surely keep you entertained with the sound effects.

The story is simple, the USA poking it's nose where it doesn't belong and fighting insurgency in some part of Europe, but they run into an alien life form that kicks their asses, even their best of the best asses like special ops. It's up to your hero scientist to find out and neutralize this alien threat. A simple premise that will not tax your mind too much. The SFX though is another thing... great camera work and shots and sound effects that will let you boast about your home theater without words... just play this movie and folks will be amazed.

Yes...Watched Already :)

Alien: Covenant (2017) - IMDb - Excellent photography and images that are immensely enjoyed especially on 4K. The audio too is kickass with one of the best scores, a near perfect 10.

An ok movie though, not as great as the first 2 movies of this franchise were... but still entertaining and definitely worthy of a good HT setup.

Dark Places (2015) - IMDb - A good thriller/mystery with Charlize Theron, Nicholas Hoult, and Corey Stoll, and a young Chlo Grace Moretz. Charlize Theron loses her entire family when her brother Corey Stoll goes crazy one night and kills the entire family, with Charlize escaping and being the sole survivor. Her brother is imprisoned and 28 years later Charlize is contacted by a mystery solving group of Nicholas Hoult who believe her brother is innocent and somebody else is the killer. Unwillingly Charlize agrees to help, only because she needs the money, but ends up discovering the truth behind the night that destroyed her entire family.

Good performances by everyone and a good thriller with enough mystery. Only wish there was more of Nicholas Hoult.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back