The Movies I Liked

Thanks for sharing sir. A great movie and one that I've seen numerous times. I will pick up the DVD.

I have been diligently looking at all the titles that are available from Eagle DVD as part of their 'Blockbuster @99'. One title I saw yesterday was 'The Mask' starring Jim Carrey. Though a 1994 movie and one I have seen many times, I thoroughly enjoyed this DVD all over again. The images were very clear, and I really liked the clarity with which the dialogues were presented. Jim's superb acting in this movie came forward again with added gusto, and it was a pleasure watching Jim's facial antics and mischief.

Cheers

I have been diligently looking at all the titles that are available from Eagle DVD as part of their 'Blockbuster @99'. One title I saw yesterday was 'The Mask' starring Jim Carrey. Though a 1994 movie and one I have seen many times, I thoroughly enjoyed this DVD all over again. The images were very clear, and I really liked the clarity with which the dialogues were presented. Jim's superb acting in this movie came forward again with added gusto, and it was a pleasure watching Jim's facial antics and mischief.

Cheers

Venkat,

Do these DVDs come with 2-channel tracks?
Either LPCM stereo track @ 48 kHz (would be huge!)
Or 2-channel AC3 track

If not, are you aware of DVD brands which generally contain the 2-channel tracks in addition to the 5.1 ac3 or DTS etc.

CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON---------DVD region 1 ,SQ/PQ top class , Brad pit & kate blanchet are awesome but on the whole the movie drags a bit bcoz of its length , though ,watchable stuff

Do these DVDs come with 2-channel tracks?
Either LPCM stereo track @ 48 kHz (would be huge!) Or 2-channel AC3 track

If not, are you aware of DVD brands which generally contain the 2-channel tracks in addition to the 5.1 ac3 or DTS etc.

This depends upon the individual DVD. Some of them have a 2.0 sound in the set up options. All the Blockbuster@99 DVDs have what they call 'Stereo Surround Sound' as an option.

Whether you use LPCM or Raw, the sound track is usually available on both. The only difference is where the decoding is done. Most DVD players can also 'downmix' 5.1 channels to 2.0. In addition most DVD Players will automatically downmix when you use a composite out for connection to a TV. Only when you use a digital out (coaxial, optical, HDMI) will the DVD Player send 5.1/7.1 data.

You can also connect a DVD Player to an AVR using analog out such as composite. This will set both the DVD Player and the AVR to stereo, straight, direct, or some such mode, all of which are 2.0.

Cheers

This depends upon the individual DVD. Some of them have a 2.0 sound in the set up options. All the Blockbuster@99 DVDs have what they call 'Stereo Surround Sound' as an option.

Whether you use LPCM or Raw, the sound track is usually available on both. The only difference is where the decoding is done. Most DVD players can also 'downmix' 5.1 channels to 2.0. In addition most DVD Players will automatically downmix when you use a composite out for connection to a TV. Only when you use a digital out (coaxial, optical, HDMI) will the DVD Player send 5.1/7.1 data.

You can also connect a DVD Player to an AVR using analog out such as composite. This will set both the DVD Player and the AVR to stereo, straight, direct, or some such mode, all of which are 2.0.

Cheers

Rephrasing my original question:

Do these DVD's have an uncompressed LPCM (same as raw) stereo soundtrack? So that I can set the audio track of the DVD to LPCM stereo and connect it to a Stereo Amp (no AVR).

For example:
DTS 5.1 surround track - 500 MB
L-PCM Stereo track - 1GB

The lossless stereo track, compared to lossy DD 5.1 or DTS would sound better with the amp. In this case, if the DVD does not have a PCM stereo stereo track and I am not using a 5.1 setup, I can still choose the Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS track and it will downsample into 2 channels, but the quality will not be the same.

Do these DVD's have an uncompressed LPCM (same as raw) stereo soundtrack? So that I can set the audio track of the DVD to LPCM stereo and connect it to a Stereo Amp (no AVR).

For example:
DTS 5.1 surround track - 500 MB
L-PCM Stereo track - 1GB

The lossless stereo track, compared to lossy DD 5.1 or DTS would sound better with the amp. In this case, if the DVD does not have a PCM stereo stereo track and I am not using a 5.1 setup, I can still choose the Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS track and it will down sample into 2 channels, but the quality will not be the same.

I have no idea. How do you find this out? Is there a software I can use?

Cheers

I have no idea. How do you find this out? Is there a software I can use?

Cheers

Yes, there are some good tools available for free that let you demux the LPCM or AC3 or DTS audio streams from VOB files (DVD-video).

This is an old tool (does its job extremely well)
http://www.videohelp.com/download/Vobedit06.zip

PgcDemux - An alternative to VobEdit, PgcDemux demuxes a DVD/VOB,IFO (PGC) in its elementary streams, video(m2v), audio(ac3,wav,dts,mpa) and subtitles(sup).

PgcDemux

Generally music/concert DVD (Video) discs come with LPCM tracks, but some others do as well!

Yes, there are some good tools available for free that let you demux the LPCM or AC3 or DTS audio streams from VOB files (DVD-video).

Bhaskie, why don't you start a new thread where we can analyse many movies? I also need help on using the program and analsying the results.

Cheers

THE BOY WITH THE STRIPED PYJAMAS------------though slow paced its a killer of a movie with a shocking end

Last edited:
THE BOY WITH THE STRIPED PYJAMAS------------though slow paced its a killer of a movie with a shocking end

Very beautiful movie! Very unlike other movies on a similar theme. I think the movie should have been in german though! And I guessed the ending so that killed it for me!

Something in the similar lines that I really liked: Die Fälscher (2007)

Another of my fav is Au revoir les enfants (1987)

Finally when it comes to this theme my favourite is The Kite Runner (2007). You get really attached to the characters and the movie is beautifully made! A must watch!

Very beautiful movie! Very unlike other movies on a similar theme. I think the movie should have been in german though! And I guessed the ending so that killed it for me!

Something in the similar lines that I really liked: Die Fälscher (2007)

Another of my fav is Au revoir les enfants (1987)

Finally when it comes to this theme my favourite is The Kite Runner (2007). You get really attached to the characters and the movie is beautifully made! A must watch!
hi, definetly KITE RUNNER was too good ,also chk out THE READER also in the same lines

Saw 'Aa Dekhen Zara' starring Nitin Mukesh. After 'Johnny Gaddar', Nitin has acted in another offbeat movie. Though a little slow, this movie builds up a good suspense when Nitin, acting as Ray, works to save his life and literally cheat death. The DVD is good with two good songs. Contrary to Indian movies, there is no glamour, no running around the tree, no heroics of any kind.

Nitin acts well, very similar to the role he did in Johnny Gaddar. I only hope he does not get stereotyped. The movie ends with a small hint about the next sequel. It will be interesting to see Nitin as a regular hero also bashing villains and mauling heroines. In this movie he does not even touch Bipasha. What a waste !!!

Cheers

Venkat sir, seems like you like Bipasha, well I do too (as I'm sure every other guy)...

The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)

A great, fun movie that I saw a long time ago and now recently. One of Pierce Brosnan's better outings and certainly like I said lots of fun. Rene Russo is amazing and you'll hardly come across any actress with her caliber among the young crop of actresses from today.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back