The Movies I Liked

I don't know how many of you have heard of or seen the movie 'GI Joe - Rise Of the Cobra'. Just finished seeing it now, and believe me, I just fell in love with the movie. Let me explain why.

GI Joe is actually based on a toy/comic series, and some may say very kiddish. It is an escapist movie. So are all James Bonds, Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and most Indian movies. What I liked about GI Joe was how slick the movie was. Neither the Director nor the actors use an pretence in trying to be realistic. The toys are futuristic, the men are Alpha 1s - the best of the best. It is non stop action from the first scene, and the graphics are unbelievable. In one particular scene, the good guys are chasing the bad guys through the streets of Paris. I saw this scene a few times and wondered how it was shot. I have personally driven through the same streets, and they look very very realistic. Literally every car in the way was is destroyed, and the good guys even plough through a high speed train to get to the bad guys. Unbelievable !! Literally every scene in the movie is like that.

Channing Tatum as Duke, the main hero, does a reasonable job. I think we will see him more often as action hero. Arnold Vosloo (remember the bad man in Mummy?) is there playing a somewhat minor role as a second villain. But I think there are already planning 'GI Joe - Cobra Takes Over' in which he will have a much larger role.

I was also surprised to see Brendan Fraser in a very small role as Sgt. Stone where he just makes a comment and disappears. I was even more surprised to see Jonathan Pryce in a small role as the US President. Jonathan was superb in Ronin, in Pirates Of The Caribbean, and Elliot Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies.

This is a movie which goes into my library.

Cheers

Hi,

Indeed it's a wonderful film from VFX point of view, and the entire chasing through the paris streets, and destroying of the eiffel tower are all CGI, and I know how hard it is to do those things as that is my profession, and if you want to understand the VFX part of it, here is a link to the making of the movie (only VFX part.)

Visual Effects & Compositing: Vfx Breakdown of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

fxguide - vfx blog - G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

And nice to here somebody enjoying VFX:D

cheers

Step Up [2006][Bluray]

Step Up (2006)

Step Up 2: The Streets [2008][Bluray]

Step Up 2: The Streets (2008)

These are 2 movies for all Hip-Hop dance freaks. These movie have got some cool Hip-Hop dance moves done by various artists and specially the hero, who's an off late action hero, Channing Tatum. The story is not so good but nice moves by Channing Tatum.

cheers

Vicky Cristina Barcelona [2008][Bluray]

Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)

A nice romantic drama movie, real good a acting by Penlope Cruz for which she won the Oscar for Best Woman Actor in a Supporting Role. Must watch. Good background score if you like spanish music.

cheers

Schindler's List [1993][Bluray-remastered/DVD]

Schindler's List (1993)

Good acting by Liam Neeson, True Story. A must watch movie for History/War fans.Has won Oscar for

Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
Best Cinematography
Best Director
Best Film Editing
Best Music, Original Score
Best Picture
Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium.

cheers

Duplicity

Ray works for MI6, Claire for the CIA. She burns him in Dubai. Jump ahead five years: he sees her in Grand Central and confronts her. Both now work in industrial security for corporate giants whose CEOs hate each other. Flashbacks fill us in: is it coincidence that he sees her in Grand Central? In about a week, one of the firms is going to announce a revolutionary product. Under the guise of helping that corporation's rival, can Ray and Claire work their own theft and find an independent buyer? To work together, using the corporate rivalry to their advantage, they would have to trust one another - difficult, if not impossible. Or, is one playing the other?

Duplicity (2009)

2012 [2009][Bluray, when it releases]

2012 (2009/I)

Hi, just came back from the cinema hall, absolutely stunning VFX, some nice Drama inbetween, good cinematography, overall story is OK.......not so great, but must watch for VFX and Sound (it's ultimate).

cheers.

Duplicity

Ray works for MI6, Claire for the CIA. She burns him in Dubai. Jump ahead five years: he sees her in Grand Central and confronts her. Both now work in industrial security for corporate giants whose CEOs hate each other. Flashbacks fill us in: is it coincidence that he sees her in Grand Central? In about a week, one of the firms is going to announce a revolutionary product. Under the guise of helping that corporation's rival, can Ray and Claire work their own theft and find an independent buyer? To work together, using the corporate rivalry to their advantage, they would have to trust one another - difficult, if not impossible. Or, is one playing the other?

Duplicity (2009)

really cudnt understand this movie very dull one, had high expectations becoz of the cast

2012 [2009][Bluray, when it releases]

2012 (2009/I)

Hi, just came back from the cinema hall, absolutely stunning VFX, some nice Drama inbetween, good cinematography, overall story is OK.......not so great, but must watch for VFX and Sound (it's ultimate).

cheers.

Just watched this movie and I must say it was a bit below average. Spoilers ahead

The storyline itself is nothing new to us, A Natural Disaster which was predicted in the Mayan calendar is bound to happen on 21st Dec 2012. The prediction is that the whole world is will be destroyed due to earth's crust moving due to this by the increased Sun's power. How people get saved is the story.

As Annelr has quoted the Sound effects and Cinematography and Effects are mind blowing - Especially the Himalayas & the Vatican city. But I couldn't withstand the drama during the climax scenes, simply overloaded. However the message about humanity towards the final scenes is really great. Special Effect & VFX doesn't make a great movie - They had everything they wanted, But the movie was more like watching a Indian drama. Don't get me wrong, But that's how I felt.

Overall an okay movie - But please don't attempt watching a late night show as I did - You may fall asleep :D

Last edited:
In-fact i liked duplicity so much, that i have rated it as 5 stars, which means i will see it around 4 times more, in a phased manner, spread in 2 year or so.

It happens quite often that someone likes a movie and the other does not, so i sure agree with your point of view about the movie. For that matter i did not find ghajini good, worth the success which it received.

Vinay.

really cudnt understand this movie very dull one, had high expectations becoz of the cast

Last edited:
In-fact i liked duplicity so much, that i have rated it as 5 stars, which means i will see it around 4 times more, in a phased manner, spread in 2 year or so.

It happens quite often that someone likes a movie and the other does not, so i sure agree with your point of view about the movie. For that matter i did not find ghajini good, worth the success which it received.

Vinay.

I too liked this move much and kept me engrossed.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Vinay.

definetly vinay its the different tastes and opinions

imagine if everyone had the same opinion and liked the same things :yahoo:

will try to rewatch

Drag me to hell

from the makers of spiderman
dvd , reg 1

again here internet reviews are very good , but i thot a very average movie with ok SFX , but least scary

Drag Me to Hell (2009)

but can be enjoyed on a good set up

Last edited:

I also share the same view. Bought this movie with lot of expectation. But couldn't finish it because I thought they lost the plot trying to do too many things. Unfortuantely its the first Julia Roberts movie I couldn't finish watching.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back