The Movies I Liked

peranmai-wallpaper-0914.JPG

I just finished seeing a movie. There are some things I feel very strongly about the movie and I wanted to write about it here. For many of the Forum members, my sincere apologies. This is a Tamil movie, and hopefully a dubbed Hindi version will be released.

First about the actor - Jayam Ravi. He started acting sometime around 2003. Maybe because of the way he looks, he has always been cast as a soft spoken guy who keeps away from violence, too good to even tease girls, and just a goody goody boy next door. He was cast in a number of movies such as Dhaam Dhoom (2008), Santhosh Subramaniyam (2008), Deepavali (2007), Unnakum Ennakum Something Something (2006), M. Kumaran S/O Mahalakshmi (2004), and Jayam (2003). In most of these movies Jayam comes across as a soft spoken guy, afraid of his father, and trying to grow up in life.

Suddenly he has been cast in a movie called Peranmai. The title of the movie is a combination of two words 'per' and 'anmai'. A little difficult to translate, but 'Anmai' means manliness and 'per' mean big. Combined, the word refers to a man who is sure of himself, proud, and completely rules his own world.

Jayam is cast as Dhruvan, a forest guard, who also doubles up as a NCC instructor. He lives amongst a set of forest dwellers and spend his spare time teaching science, history, economics and a lot of other subjects to the village children. Dhruvan, BTW, is a member of our famous SC/ST.

One day, a set of college girls arrive at an NCC camp in a nearby college to be trained as NCC cadets. Five of the girls will be chosen at the end of the training to represent the college and the state in Delhi. As part of the training, the 5 girls will spend a complete day trekking in virgin forests.

Dhruvan starts training the girls. The college team has five girls who are complete brats and will do anything for a lark. They take a dislike to Dhruvan, and are hell bent on teasing him and getting him into trouble. As the training come to a close, Dhruvan chooses the same girls for a day of trekking in the forest. The day of the trek, Dhruvan is supposed to bring the girls back by 1800 hours. Right from the start the trek is jinxed. First one of the girls takes a Jeep for a drive, and drives it off a mountain. As they proceed on foot, the girls think it is all a big joke and enjoy themselves as they continue to harass Dhruvan.

Suddenly one of the girls, who goes to relieve herself at night, stumbles across two western mercenaries who are armed to the teeth. From this moment onwards, the movie explodes into non stop action. Dhruvan leads the five girls in a action packed adventure to stop the progress of the mercenaries. He displays an uncanny knowledge of the forest, the ability to disappear, and kill ruthlessly. Using this knowledge, Dhruvan goes about quietly hampering the progress of the mercenaries. For the girls, they suddenly see a committed man who does not even hesitate to kill a person. From a mild mannered person who gets harassed and even slapped by their brothers, they suddenly see a man quietly cornering unsuspecting mercenaries and killing them off in front of them. His logic? That he cannot handle all of them by himself and needs their help. That they must stop being silly girls and start fighting for their country and their lives literally instantly. When Dhruvan speaks to one of the mercenaries in fluent English, they realise he is made of a different kettle than what they thought. Their respect for him goes up and they don't hesitate to put their own lives in danger to fight alongside him.

The movie has no well known heroine. Just five ordinary looking girls who don't even use any make-up. Jayam Ravi has acted extremely well, and seems to have exercised hard to build a body for this movie. From a guy who gets harassed without any retort or objection, to a guy who precisely slices a mercenary as he tries to escape, Jayam carries the transformation well. From quietly accepting the five girls teasing him to a commander who makes the girls do his bidding is effortless. Calm and composed all through, Jayam makes the transition from the soft boy to an action hero with ease. He actually accomplishes the difficult task of looking different in different scenes.

The movie has a lot of technical shortcomings. Irrespective of that, my hats off to the Director - SP Jananathan - who had the guts to make this movie. Completely offbeat, this movie could shake the Tamil film industry even if it breaks even in the box office. None of the running around the tree. None of the 'hero/heroine could never die nor get hurt' nonsense. No duets. Simple harsh reality. Janathanan introduces Vadivelu, but realises that he actually has no role to play. Except for making him recite some of his stock dialogues, Janathanan puts Vadivelu to sleep early in the movie. Thank God for that.

I would urge all who understand Tamil to see this movie. As I said before there are lots of shortcomings, but you will still enjoy it nevertheless.

Cheers

Last edited:
peranmai-wallpaper-0914.JPG

I just finished seeing a movie. There are some things I feel very strongly about the movie and I wanted to write about it here. For many of the Forum members, my sincere apologies. This is a Tamil movie, and hopefully a dubbed Hindi version will be released.

First about the actor - Jayam Ravi. He started acting sometime around 2003. Maybe because of the way he looks, he has always been cast a soft spoken guy who keeps away from violence, too good to even tease girls, and just a goody goody boy next door. He was cast in a number of movies such as Dhaam Dhoom (2008), Santhosh Subramaniyam (2008), Deepavali (2007), Unnakum Ennakum Something Something (2006), M. Kumaran S/O Mahalakshmi (2004), and Jayam (2003). In most of these movies Jayam comes across as a soft spoken guy, afraid of his father, and trying to grow up in life.

Suddenly he has been cast in a movie called Peranmai. The title of the movie is a combination of two words 'per' and 'anmai'. A little difficult to translate, but 'Anmai' means manliness and 'per' mean big. Combined, the word refers to a man who is sure of himself, proud, and completely rules his own world.

Jayam is cast as Dhruvan, a forest guard, who also doubles up as a NCC instructor. He lives lives amongst a set of forest dwellers and spend his spare time teaching science, history, economics and a lot of other subjects to the village children. Dhruvan, BTW, is a member of our famous SC/ST.

One day, a set of college girls arrive at an NCC camp in a nearby college to be trained as NCC cadets. Five of the girls will be chosen at the end of the training to represent the college and the state in Delhi. As part of the training, the 5 girls will spend a complete day trekking in Virgin forests.

Dhruvan starts training the girls. The college team has five girls who are complete brats and will do anything for a lark. They take a dislike to Dhruvan, and are hell bent on teasing him and getting him into trouble. As the training come to a close, Dhruvan chooses the same girls for a day of trekking in the forest. The day of the trek, Dhruvan is supposed to bring the girls back by 1800 hours. Right from the start the trek is jinxed. First one of the girls takes a Jeep for a drive, and drives it off a mountain. As they proceed on foot, the girls think it is all a big joke and enjoy themselves as they continue to harass Dhruvan.

Suddenly one of the girls, who goes to relive herself in night, stumbles across two western mercenaries who are armed to the teeth. From this moment onwards, the movie explodes into non stop action. Dhruvan leads the five girls in a action packed adventure to stop the progress of the mercenaries. He displays an uncanny knowledge of the forest, the ability to disappear, and kill ruthlessly. Using this knowledge, Dhruvan goes about quietly hampering the progress of the mercenaries. For the girls, they suddenly see a committed man who does not even hesitate to kill a person. From a mild mannered person who gets harassed and even slapped by their brothers, they suddenly see a man quietly cornering unsuspecting mercenaries and killing them off in front of them. His logic? That he cannot handle all of them by himself and needs their help. That they must stop being silly girls and start fighting for their country and their lives literally instantly. When Dhruvan speaks to one of the mercenaries in fluent English, they realise he is made of a different kettle than what they thought. Their respect for him goes up and they don't hesitate to put their own lives in danger to fight alongside him.

The movie has no well known heroine. Just five ordinary looking girls who don't even use any make-up. Jayam Ravi has acted extremely well, and seems to have exercised hard to build a body for this movie. From a guy who gets harassed without any retort or objection, to a guy who precisely slices a mercenary as he tries to escape, Jayam carries the transformation well. From quietly accepting the five girls tease him to a commander who makes the girls do his bidding is effortless. Calm and composed all through, Jayam makes the transition from the soft boy to an action hero with ease.

The movie has a lot of technical shortcomings. Irrespective of that, my hats off to the Director - SP Jananathan - who had the guts to make this movie. Completely offbeat, this movie could shake the Tamil film industry even if it breaks even in the box office. None of the running around the tree. None of the 'hero/heroine could never die nor get hurt' nonsense. No duets. Simple harsh reality. Janathanan introduces Vadivelu, but realises that he actually has no role to play. Except for making him recite some of his stock dialogues, Janathanan puts Vadivelu to sleep early in the movie. Thank God for that.

I would urge all who understand Tamil to see this movie. As I said before there are lots of shortcomings, but you will still enjoy it nevertheless.

Cheers

Thanks again , i love good regional movies too , let me know if u watched this @ home or in theatres, will definetly watch

Ayan {TAMIL}[2009][Bluray]

Ayan (2009)

Just finished seeing this movie, got the 1080p rip. Are these BD's available in store. In Bangalore it's not there. Is it there in Chennai???? I'm also looking for Svaji's BD.

thanks.

Ayan (2009)

Just finished seeing this movie, got the 1080p rip. Are these BD's available in store. In Bangalore it's not there. Is it there in Chennai???? I'm also looking for Svaji's BD.

thanks.

chk link link posted by you/srini in the other bluray thread for availability of shivji bd

Last edited:
anyone watched GAMER? sound effects are good; with Gerard Butler as the lead("300" -movie)
Ratatouille- good animated movie, a definite hit with the kids...

I had posted one on "Gamer", see post # 1074.

Action scenes, especially the bullet firing sounds are a good workout for the HT. A Science fiction story which may probably happen in the future; players controlling other humans in a real society.

poster.jpg

You might be wondering why I am writing about this movie.

Well, a couple of days ago I came across a Moser Baer DVD of this movie and was tempted to pick it up. At 199/- I thought it was a good bargain. In the cinema halls the movie kind of disappeared quite quickly, and I was very curious. With Akshay Kumar, Sanjay Dutt, Lara Dutt, AR Rehman, and Resul Pookutty it could not too bad. I am always a sucker for movies that fail in the box office.

I must say I enjoyed the movie thoroughly.

The story line is quite predictable. The movie is loosely based on the Hollywood movie - Deep. It also has scenes taken from a host of other movies such Fast & Furious, Gone In 60 Seconds, etc.

Setting aside all this, the movie is a real entertainer. Underwater cinematography by Peter Zuccarini is simply gorgeous. The movie is a kind of statement. Ony the best is used - best cars, best bikes, best boats etc. Rahul Dev as Gulshan tries his hand at suave villainy with a perpetual smile on his face and soft spoken double entres all the time. The high speed chases and crashes are very well photographed. BMW cars and Ducati bikes are set on fire or thrashed all over the place. The action scenes have been directed by James Bomalick who has directed Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005), The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006), Live Free or Die Hard, aka Die Hard 4 (2007), and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.

On my 983, the DVD print played without a hitch. The sound was decent, though I would have expected more from Pokutty. He was not able to mix the background music and general noise with the hard punch needed for explosions and gunshots. But a decent job nontheless. In an underwater song, Lara Dutt weaves her body like a fish and looks superb. I am sure our zero waist heroine can never do that !!

If you are ready to enjoy a movie without worrying too much about the story line and where it has been copied from, this is a must see.

Cheers

Ayan (2009)

thanks.

I don't think it's available, It's available all around the world though ;)

Srini has a copy of it.

poster.jpg

You might be wondering why I am writing about this movie.

Well, a couple of days ago I came across a Moser Baer DVD of this movie and was tempted to pick it up. At 199/- I thought it was a good bargain. In the cinema halls the movie kind of disappeared quite quickly, and I was very curious. With Akshay Kumar, Sanjay Dutt, Lara Dutt, AR Rehman, and Resul Pookutty it could not too bad. I am always a sucker for movies that fail in the box office.

Cheers

I have not watched the movie in full, since as u indicated it vanished from theatres and as of now i have not landed in a good print to watch / dont want to add in my collection since it has not reached the mass.

I want to take the copy from you to watch it for checking the quality of Mose baer, since i stopped buying any kind of moser baer movies due to worst reproduction / but still i buy old black and white movies which is not making much difference....

will call u tonight

Yesterday night i watched the Movie "UP" in Blu-ray Blu-ray Review: Up (PIXAR) (2009) which is produced by Disney-Pixar movies and released in Bluray.

Wonderful movie and enjoyed the same. Had some preview of Monsters Inc-Bluray and planned for sunday night.Have posted some screen shots of both..

dsc04232e.jpg

dsc04229j.jpg

dsc04231g.jpg

dsc04228.jpg

dsc04227.jpg

dsc04233.jpg

dsc04230.jpg

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back