The Movies I Liked

London 2005

Starring Chris Evans (syd) and Jason Statham (bateman) and many others!

This movie is shot probably not more than 5-10 different locations, with most of them ranging from anywhere from a bathroom to Airport.

Though this movie has bits of unwanted stuff, I must say that I liked this movie to a degree for several reasons. I have always seen JS as a superhero and always someone that engage in fights. However, in this movie, you can see another dimension of Jason. Though this movie does not have any stunts, Jason remains stylish and charismatic throughout this movie.

The movie is about Syd who broke up with his girlfriend, London, who is moving out of the country soon. Syd meets Jason in a bar and they share "coke". Syd is a 21-year-old kid, but Jason is a investment banker. They take some sniffs of coke and then Syd invites Jason to his girlfriend, London's apartment, where she is throwing a farewell party for her friends. Of course, Syd and Jason drops in there as an uninvited guests and the remaining part, probably majority of the movie, has been shot in a bathroom and mostly consists of some "high" conversations between Syd and Jason.

Syd is very dominative and never believes anything other than science and very skeptical and always argues that "when love exists between you and me and we know how we mean to each other, why we should label the relationship by saying to each other, I love you."

At some point, Syd and Jason debate themselves about the significance of each other's life and who has undergone great pain in his life. Here, Jason puts his real performance by narrating his story,
Jason: "I am divorced, for 3 years...."
Syd: No ******* ****. Why she left you? Domestic voilence, infedility....?
Jason: "Coz' I couldnt do something which a man did to her before her marriage and after divorce......"

Then, finally how Syd gets back to his girlfriend and whether he succeeds or not is the story.

London - - not sure why they named it until I am done with the movie.

Rest Room - A place where I learned about love and got enlightened!:ohyeah::ohyeah:

Cheers!

From the director of Taken comes From Paris with Love (2010)

This movie reminds us of the days of stallone/arnold action movies ,its a old kind straight forward action thriller with plenty of action with John Travolta leading the way. If you like movies with a thin storyline but nonstop action this is definetly the movie for you ,its an out and out hardcore action all the way ----may be silly @ times but very enjoyable and entertaining ,theres great chemistry btw the two lead actors , thumbs up for John Travolta :clapping:

Once

once.jpg

Repeat viewing. Amazing film. I highly recommend it to any one who hasn't seen it. Can watch it a hundred times and not get bored. 8/10.

Once

once.jpg

Repeat viewing. Amazing film. I highly recommend it to any one who hasn't seen it. Can watch it a hundred times and not get bored. 8/10.

+1 to that. The Song in this movie won Oscar. The actors fell in love, got married after this movie, and sadly, they are separated now. The song is a complete bliss, with plain cord arrangements. A must one for guitar guys!

Cheers!

Dances With Wolves.

Last weekend I watched this movie. Really enjoyed because of his photography. Nowadays often you'll enjoy by watching movie with less or no special effects. I heard comments from people saying that movie 'Avatar' stole many things from this move. That made me to watch this movie.

Story.. You can think like 'Avatar' without special effects and fancy makeups.

Ravaan- Movie review

Raavan2.jpg

* MAY CONTAIN FEW SPOILERS *

Just 1 word can be used to describe the movie- POOR. 45 minutes into the movie when you start looking at your watch you know that something went wrong somewhere.

Raavan is one of those movies where everything could have gone right. One of the best directors, arguably the best music director, nice concept, a grand epic to base it upon, breathtaking locations, powerful star cast and what not. But this is 1 of the few projects where everything went wrong. Direction is poor, music is average, acting is ordinary and it would be a shame to call it an adaptation of Ramayana. It seems like some elements of the epic were desperately inserted into the movie to get some free publicity by promoting it as a modern adaptation of Ramayana. The only saving grace for the movie is cinematography. The locations are breathtaking and you have to give it to the cast and crew for filming almost 90% of the film drenched in water.

The 1st half of the movie is dull and slow. It begins at a slow pace and maintain that till the intermission. Thankfully for the viewers things get a bit interesting in 2nd half but fails to keep the viewer interested. The story unfolds at such a pace that you don't want to know what will happen next, you just want it to get over.

Acting specially of the lead cast is ordinary. Abhishek bachchan fails to leave an impact on the viewers. With the make-up and close camera shots even a child could have done that job. His actions seem to be forced and overdone. Aishwarya can't act which was evident from the trailer itself but her acting in the movie is irritating to say the least. Extremely poor dialogues doesn't help her cause either. Vikram starts off ordinarily but his overall act is OK. Anyways he hasn't got much to do here. Govinda who could have been a show stopper here shockingly doesn't even have a role to talk about. His entry scene and specially the lines he say at start to Vikram may give users goosebumps and raises expectation sky high. But apart from that Govinda doesn't have any significant scene in the movie! Mani Ratnam should really explain to people why he wrote such a poor character for someone who was supposed to play "Hanuman" in the adaptation. Only 2 actors that pulled it off were Ravi kishan and Priyamani. Ravi kishan played his part effortlessly and Priyamani gave one of the strongest performances in just 10 minutes of screen time.

And considering the movie a modern adaptation of Ramayana is just nonsense. What sort of adaption is it where "Ram" is not good, "Raavan" is not bad, "Shrupnakha" is the victim!, "Lakshman" is the culprit and "Hanuman" doesn't have any significance. The so called "Raavan" doesn't have any traits like the original one so the characters in the movie are made to say idiotic dialogues like "Sir log kehte hain Beera (Raavan) ek saath 10-10 jagah rehta hai! " to force the audience to believe in the character.

And I couldn't stop myself from mentioning it here. Check the jump of Aishwarya rai from the cliff. Such ordinary effects make you wonder if it is really a Mani ratnam movie or you are watching some low budget movie.

To conclude Mani ratnam totally messed it up this time. If you miss this one you wouldn't have missed much.

Rating- 4/10

Code:
http://vu-point.blogspot.com/2010/06/raavan-movie-review.html

Last edited:
Hi Sanchit,

Thanks for your detailed review. However, please put a spoiler alert if you giving details of the character that could potentially spoil it for other viewers.

Since, it may be an essential part of your review, you could put it in the specific section that has spoilers so that people can enjoy your review without making their movie experience spoiled.

Regards,
Sudhir

Re: Ravaan- Movie review

Raavan2.jpg

Just 1 word can be used to describe the movie- POOR. 45 minutes into the movie when you start looking at your watch you know that something went wrong somewhere.

Raavan is one of those movies where everything could have gone right. One of the best directors, arguably the best music director, nice concept, a grand epic to base it upon, breathtaking locations, powerful star cast and what not. But this is 1 of the few projects where everything went wrong. Direction is poor, music is average, acting is ordinary and it would be a shame to call it an adaptation of Ramayana. It seems like some elements of the epic were desperately inserted into the movie to get some free publicity by promoting it as a modern adaptation of Ramayana. The only saving grace for the movie is cinematography. The locations are breathtaking and you have to give it to the cast and crew for filming almost 90% of the film drenched in water.

The 1st half of the movie is dull and slow. It begins at a slow pace and maintain that till the intermission. Thankfully for the viewers things get a bit interesting in 2nd half but fails to keep the viewer interested. The story unfolds at such a pace that you don't want to know what will happen next, you just want it to get over.

Acting specially of the lead cast is ordinary. Abhishek bachchan fails to leave an impact on the viewers. With the make-up and close camera shots even a child could have done that job. His actions seem to be forced and overdone. Aishwarya can't act which was evident from the trailer itself but her acting in the movie is irritating to say the least. Extremely poor dialogues doesn't help her cause either. Vikram starts off ordinarily but his overall act is OK. Anyways he hasn't got much to do here. Govinda who could have been a show stopper here shockingly doesn't even have a role to talk about. His entry scene and specially the lines he say at start to Vikram may give users goosebumps and raises expectation sky high. But apart from that Govinda doesn't have any significant scene in the movie! Mani Ratnam should really explain to people why he wrote such a poor character for someone who was supposed to play "Hanuman" in the adaptation. Only 2 actors that pulled it off were Ravi kishan and Priyamani. Ravi kishan played his part effortlessly and Priyamani gave one of the strongest performances in just 10 minutes of screen time.

And considering the movie a modern adaptation of Ramayana is just nonsense. What sort of adaption is it where "Ram" is not good, "Raavan" is not bad, "Shrupnakha" is the victim!, "Lakshman" is the culprit and "Hanuman" doesn't have any significance. The so called "Raavan" doesn't have any traits like the original one so the characters in the movie are made to say idiotic dialogues like "Sir log kehte hain Beera (Raavan) ek saath 10-10 jagah rehta hai! " to force the audience to believe in the character.

And I couldn't stop myself from mentioning it here. Check the jump of Aishwarya rai from the cliff. Such ordinary effects make you wonder if it is really a Mani ratnam movie or you are watching some low budget movie.

To conclude Mani ratnam totally messed it up this time. If you miss this one you wouldn't have missed much.

Rating- 4/10

Code:
http://vu-point.blogspot.com/2010/06/raavan-movie-review.html

nothing new about the hyped movies, maniratnams newer movies are usually hollow he seems to have lost his way somewhere,theres always a soul missing, apart from great cinematography /locations/music theres not much in his movies.
The older movies of his were worthwhile (roja/bombay)
but his tamil movies were far better (thiruda thiruda / kanathil mutha....etc etc)
i do hope that the tamil version of ravan may be better with vikram

Hunger

Hunger follows life in the Maze Prison, Northern Ireland with an interpretation of the highly emotive events surrounding the 1981 IRA Hunger Strike, led by Bobby Sands. With an epic eye for detail, the film provides a timely exploration of what happens when body and mind are pushed to the uttermost limit.

Hunger (2008)

V.

how bout jason stathom..

transporter series 1-2-3
death race..........
crank 1-2

bruce willi...
die hard 4.0

wisley snipes.
blade 1-2-3.

jean claude van damn.
blood sport,
universal sol 1-2-3

will smith.
i robot.

fast and furios series.

all time fav.

ENEMY AT THE GATES.

SINGAM-TAMIL

Watched it in the now renovated Devi theater at Chennai.The theater brought some nostalgic memories.As far as i remember this is the first hifi complex with a 70mm screen in Chennai.Clearly remember coming to the theater with my parents, as a boy to watch the first movie that was screened here-The Mackenna's Gold.Still can remember gawking at the opening scene where one eye of an eagle is shown on the entire length and width of the 70mm screen:)
The sound track 'Old Turkey buzzard' is still green in my memories.Ahhh the good old days of western movies!

YouTube - Ol Turkey Buzzard Mackennas Gold with lyrics

Sorry folks got carried away with my memories.:) Now back to the present day movie Singam.Some may find this movie crude.But as our member Subhash has quoted in one of the threads 'a movie should entertain in any way it can'
Though its an outright masala commercial and lots of scenes were predictable,
i never felt bored. I found it racy and Surya takes the movie along effortlessly.If you want to relax and get entertained do watch this movie.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
SINGAM-TAMIL

Watched it in the now renovated Devi theater at Chennai.The theater brought some nostalgic memories.As far as i remember this is the first hifi complex with a 70mm screen in Chennai.Clearly remember coming to the theater with my parents, as a boy to watch the first movie that was screened here-The Mackenna's Gold.Still can remember gawking at the opening scene where one eye of an eagle is shown on the entire length and width of the 70mm screen:)
The sound track 'Old Turkey buzzard' is still green in my memories.Ahhh the good old days of western movies!

YouTube - Ol Turkey Buzzard Mackennas Gold with lyrics

Sorry folks got carried away with my memories.:) Now back to the present day movie Singam.Some may find this movie crude.But as our member Subhash has quoted in one of the threads 'a movie should entertain in any way it can'
Though its an outright masala commercial and lots of scenes were predictable,
i never felt bored. I found it racy and Surya takes the movie along effortlessly.If you want to relax and get entertained do watch this movie.

cheers,
sri

even i heard that this movie SINGAM is a good entertainer ,havent been able to go to a theater ,will definetly make an attempt to go watch this one ,especially for surya and anushka!!

No doubt there are a lot of movies that entertain but there are very few that touches your heart and makes u really feel for the characters ,am not talking about those tear jerkers that try hard to make you cry, but movies were u get totally involved with the characters and really feel for them!!

One such movie which i really loved was the will smith starrer "Pursuit of happiness" this is one of those rare movies were you simply get involved with the characters what an amazing movie that was

In the same lines but in a different situation, where there is a need to fight for survival, and at any cost the father wud not influence his little son to get into the wrong path or fall into wrong hands, to the extent of killing himself and his son if ever such a situation arises is a movie named THE ROAD
An extremely Touchy Tale of a Father and son ,with brilliant performance by Viggo Mortenson as the father and Kodi smith as the small kid

highly recomended for serious cinema lovers from the makers of ":NO country for old men""

to know more ----The Road (2009)

Last edited:
Sorority Row

During a party in the Theta-Pi sorority house, the sister Megan plays a prank with her unstable boyfriend Garrett simulating an OD after using pills. Her sisters Jessica, Claire, Ellie, Cassidy and Garrett's sister Chugs suggest to dump her "body" in a lake and the stressed Garrett sticks the tire iron through the Megan's chest killing her. Cassidy decides to call the police, but the sisters are convinced to dispose the body in a shaft and keep in secret under the leadership of Jessica that blackmails Cassidy. Eight months later, in their graduation party, the sisters receive a creepy message with the picture of the tire iron in the beginning of a nightmarish night.

Sorority Row (2009)

V.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back