The Movies I Liked

Love Happens

Burke is a motivational speaker who's book about dealing with grief is a best seller. His wife died in a car accident three years ago. He's in Seattle to lead a week-long workshop on healing and to negotiate a major multi-media deal. But something's amiss: he's a closet drinker, he won't ride elevators, his moods swing, he's estranged from his wife's father, and he's very much alone. In a hotel hallway, he bumps into a woman arranging flowers, tries to chat with her, and gets the brush-off. She's Eloise, a local florist who's just broken up with a boyfriend. He's persistent and they eventually go to dinner - it goes badly.

Love Happens (2009)

V.

Modern Mahabharata and Ramayana

001.jpg

Rajneeti is epic Mahabharata played out in the canvas of contemporary Indian politcs. There are shades of The Godfather and a few events which are similar to what has happened in Indian politics related to assassinations and deaths. The movie sees tremendous acting by Arjun Rampal, Nana Patekar, Ajay Devgan and even Ranbeer Kapoor for a change.

Prakash Jha delivers once again to capture the coarse India. The movie could have been all the more impressive if Jha had improvised more but he has improvised enough, so let's give credit where it is due. Some of the scenes Tadopted from The Godfather lose a shade but others don't. One thing I didn't like was the excessive carnage.

The only thing which bothered me was the length of the movie really. This was an epic. A masterpiece written all over it. Had it been treated to 7-8 hours with character changes and shifts getting more space, it would have been brilliant. It had a mini TV Series written all over it but we all know Indian TV has gone to the dogs and the only feasible way to sell it was in the form Jha presented it and he did a very good job of it. I just felt it had scope to be that much better, thus my low rating of 6.5/10.

200px-Raavancdcover.jpg

Raavan

Mani Ratnam, AR Rahman. These two names together don't disappoint. Then I heard the reviews that the movie had songs breaking the flow, narrative all spilled over and I was very curious. He couldn't go wrong, could he, the great Mani Ratnam?

First off, let me tell you, I absolutely loved the movie. Almost every thing was perfect. Aishwarya Rai's acting, Ravi Kishan's flow of dialogue, Govinda playing the role of Hanumana, the cinematography, the angles, the shots, the works. It was all almost perfect.

One thing spoiled it - Abhishek Bachchan's acting. He just couldn't carry the movie and in such a movie where you are the protagonist, the movie lives or dies by your acting. Bachchan did all wacky stuff making the guy look crazy. It was a caricature. It didn't look real and it spoiled half the fun of the movie. This movie could have again been a masterpiece if Bachchan had managed to play his role well (which was indeed a tough role).

I have heard the South Indian actor has played the role of Raavan really well in the Tamil version of the film. The movie's tapestry lies in the images, the screeenplay and it has very little dialogues. Having seen the hindi film, I really won't be needing dialogues to interpret the cinema going on. Problem is nearby cities Varanasi and Allahabad are playing only the hindi version. I wish I was in Calcutta. I'll wait to watch what promises to be the real deal. This one - 6.5/10

Inglourious Basterds :mad:

Frankly I couldn't understand what the hype about. It is just a stylish movie with no respect for the actual history. When you take historical characters into a movie I would like them to be portrayed at-least somewhat closer to what they are. But this movie seemed to be like just someones pipe dream about what would've happen iff. I mean what can be funnier that the whole Nazi top brass is in a movie hall and and the security is not even as much as in PVR or Inox nowadays. Nobody bothered to check anyone coming and going and nor the theater. And those horrible deviance from history is unpardonable. Ofcourse if you don't care about the history the movie is still enjoyable for some of it's moments but one can't take away his mind from History when such well known characters are being portrayed.
But one shining point of the movie is the Acting of Christoph Waltz as Col. Hans Landa. He was amazing with his presence and he convincingly portrayed his menacing character.

Hard Candy

After three weeks chatting with the thirty-two years old photographer Jeff Kohlver in Internet, the fourteen years old Hayley Stark meets him in the Nighthawks coffee shop. Hayley flirts with him in spite of the difference of ages and proposes to go to his house. Once there, she prepares screwdriver for them and Jeff passes out. When he awakes, he is tied up to a chair, and Hayley accuses him of pedophilia. Jeff denies, and Hayley begin to torture him, in a mouse and cat game.

Hard Candy (2005)

V.

Inglourious Basterds :mad:

Frankly I couldn't understand what the hype about. It is just a stylish movie with no respect for the actual history. When you take historical characters into a movie I would like them to be portrayed at-least somewhat closer to what they are. But this movie seemed to be like just someones pipe dream about what would've happen iff. I mean what can be funnier that the whole Nazi top brass is in a movie hall and and the security is not even as much as in PVR or Inox nowadays. Nobody bothered to check anyone coming and going and nor the theater. And those horrible deviance from history is unpardonable. Ofcourse if you don't care about the history the movie is still enjoyable for some of it's moments but one can't take away his mind from History when such well known characters are being portrayed.
But one shining point of the movie is the Acting of Christoph Waltz as Col. Hans Landa. He was amazing with his presence and he convincingly portrayed his menacing character.

See, this is one thing I have never understood. What is the relation between the merit or demerit of the movie with any sort of historical accuracy?

I have heard many people say that they did not like the movie because it does not depict history as it was. But then the movie did not claim to have done so. So, I am not sure that that is a valid stand to take at all.

But each to his own, as they say...

Hard Candy

After three weeks chatting with the thirty-two years old photographer Jeff Kohlver in Internet, the fourteen years old Hayley Stark meets him in the Nighthawks coffee shop. Hayley flirts with him in spite of the difference of ages and proposes to go to his house. Once there, she prepares screwdriver for them and Jeff passes out. When he awakes, he is tied up to a chair, and Hayley accuses him of pedophilia. Jeff denies, and Hayley begin to torture him, in a mouse and cat game.

I have this movie sitting in my hard disk from quite few days. Sometimes I feel why did I download this one!! Havent seen it till now but I guess now I will have to see this one! :D

Armored

A newbie guard for an armored truck company is coerced by his veteran coworkers to steal a truck containing $42 million. But a wrinkle in their supposedly foolproof plan divides the group, leading to a potentially deadly resolution.

Armored (2009)

V.

There are several movies which i keep deleting if i have not liked them or they were worth only one watch but this movie i have liked and have given it a good rating which shall mean i will see it again on my bigger screen after a year or so. :licklips:

V.

I have this movie sitting in my hard disk from quite few days. Sometimes I feel why did I download this one!! Havent seen it till now but I guess now I will have to see this one! :D

I have heard the South Indian actor has played the role of Raavan really well in the Tamil version of the film.

The actor is Chiyaan Vikram, and yes he has performed superbly as Veera in Ravanan, the Tamil version. He played the role of SP of Police in the Hindi version.

But Pratters, though I have not yet seen the Hindi version, I was very disappointed with the Tamil version. The first half was completely boring with no story. Ash spouts some historical dialogues and those sound really laughable. Acually, if Vikram had not acted so well, the Tamil version would also been a complete failure as the Hindi version has been. It is just Vikram alone who carries the movie. I found the photography in many places to be hurting (to the eyes).

Cheers

Ok Venkat, thanks for that.

F97986FC3C5F4657B246307CD232F5.jpg

I hate luv storys promised a fair bit but not too much. I rate Imran Khan and Sonam Kapoor very highly and looked forward to a fresh cinema from Dharma Productions, some thing they tried and succeeded to some level with Wake Up Sid.

I hear very bad reports about the movie going into it and was apprehensive but half an hour into the movie, I new I was in for a joy ride. It was a fun movie where both actors give a glimpse of their acting talent. The take on love story movies like DDLJ and KKKG was neat. 7/10.

I saw a movie today, i am going to see it daily once till this week-end.

Please ask me which one is it.

:yahoo:

V.

Last edited:
I just finished watching the movie for 2nd time, i had too do it this early as i am leaving out now and will return home only tomorrow morning, waiting to see it again and then again, yet again right up till Sunday.

:yahoo: :yahoo:

V.

Last edited:
I just finished watching the movie for 2nd time, i had too do it this early as i am leaving out now and will return home only tomorrow morning, waiting to see it again and then again, yet again right up till Sunday.

:yahoo: :yahoo:

V.

come on vinay its time to break the suspence

I am back.

I saw the movie today for 3rd time. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

As you'll are aware that i am so happy seeing this movie, can i have the opportunity to gift this movie to the member who guesses which one it is? Indeed i will give a clue. Please advice.

V.

I am back.

I saw the movie today for 3rd time. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

As you'll are aware that i am so happy seeing this movie, can i have the opportunity to gift this movie to the member who guesses which one it is? Indeed i will give a clue. Please advice.

V.

:licklips: clue please

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back